The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-24-2023, 08:22 AM

Default Study Op.35 Nº17 - Fernando Sor

I leave you here my rendering of Study Op.35 Nº17 by Fernando Sor...
I would like to know your opinion...​

Last edited by Samoiedo; 04-24-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoiedo View Post
I leave you here my rendering of Study Op.35 Nº17 by Fernando Sor...
I would like to know your opinion...​
Coming along nicely, with room to improve. It looks like you're in the early phases of your classical journey. Is that right?
Sor's Opus 35 works, like this one, are supposedly "easy", but they are anything but. There's lots going on, and are difficult to play well, but they are definitely worth the effort.
Let me ask you: Are you studying classical guitar with a teacher or on-line, or are you self-teaching yourself this material?
(The first time I played this for my teacher years ago I thought I had done a pretty good job, but as it turns out, I hadn't...)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-25-2023, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-25-2023, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Well done. I would emphasize the melody a bit more over the harmony (perhaps some rest strokes) and vary the tempo by slowing a little towards the end of some of the phrases.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-26-2023, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Coming along nicely, with room to improve. It looks like you're in the early phases of your classical journey. Is that right?
Sor's Opus 35 works, like this one, are supposedly "easy", but they are anything but. There's lots going on, and are difficult to play well, but they are definitely worth the effort.
Let me ask you: Are you studying classical guitar with a teacher or on-line, or are you self-teaching yourself this material?
(The first time I played this for my teacher years ago I thought I had done a pretty good job, but as it turns out, I hadn't...)
Yes, I started to learn guitar about 2 years and 8 months ago... I am accompanied by a teacher through online classes...

I make these videos whenever I play a piece that I'm learning in an acceptable way and it serves as a reference to see my evolution in the future.

I am aware that I have a lot to evolve, both in playing this piece and in general.

Thank you for your feedback as it is another encouragement on my journey.

If you liked it and are interested in following my evolution, I suggest you subscribe to my channel...
https://www.youtube.com/@arturmarques_guitarra

Last edited by Samoiedo; 04-30-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Well done. I would emphasize the melody a bit more over the harmony (perhaps some rest strokes) and vary the tempo by slowing a little towards the end of some of the phrases.
I'm glad you liked it...

I make these videos whenever I play a piece that I'm learning in an acceptable way and it serves as a reference to see my evolution in the future.

I am aware that I have a lot to evolve, both in playing this piece and in general.

Thank you for your feedback as it is another encouragement on my journey.

If you liked it and are interested in following my evolution, I suggest you subscribe to my channel...

Last edited by Samoiedo; 04-30-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:32 PM

Samoiedo, Thank you for posting this lovely Sor study. I can hear that you are really aware of the importance of bringing out the melody line. As you say, this is still a work in progress, but to my ears you are on the right path. In fact I liked it so much that I found a copy of the score and it is on my learn to play list.
Old 04-27-2023, 12:11 AM

Samoideo, If I may add to my previous post. I went back through some of your previous posts and had a listen to your rendition of the Sor study in B minor from a couple of months ago. The B minor study works well together with the D major as a pair, quite similar musically although the D study seems to be quite a bit more involved in the left hand. Comparing the two, the B minor was pretty rough, I wasn’t hearing the melody line distinctly over the accompaniment . I must say that your progress and improvement over such a short timespan is impressive. whatever you’re doing, keep doing it! It’s working!
Old 04-27-2023, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
Samoiedo, Thank you for posting this lovely Sor study. I can hear that you are really aware of the importance of bringing out the melody line. As you say, this is still a work in progress, but to my ears you are on the right path. In fact I liked it so much that I found a copy of the score and it is on my learn to play list.
Quote:
Samoideo, If I may add to my previous post. I went back through some of your previous posts and had a listen to your rendition of the Sor study in B minor from a couple of months ago. The B minor study works well together with the D major as a pair, quite similar musically although the D study seems to be quite a bit more involved in the left hand. Comparing the two, the B minor was pretty rough, I wasn’t hearing the melody line distinctly over the accompaniment . I must say that your progress and improvement over such a short timespan is impressive. whatever you’re doing, keep doing it! It’s working!
Your words leave me extremely satisfied!

Regarding Sor's study in B minor, it's a simpler piece... however, the highlight of the melody is fundamental, which I didn't do during my video. The corrections are fundamental for me to try to evolve.

In this study in D major, I have already managed to highlight the melody, although I still have a lot of work ahead of me, mainly in choosing the right hand fingering.

I am very happy that you being follow my study and I suggest you subscribe to my youtube channel.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
... although the D study seems to be quite a bit more involved in the left hand....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoiedo View Post
In this study in D major, I have already managed to highlight the melody, although I still have a lot of work ahead of me, mainly in choosing the right hand fingering.
This study is primarily challenging for the right hand. I think Samoeido is on the right path.
The left hand mostly falls into place, but in order for the top legato melody line to really pop, you must pay attention to what's below. It's crucial that the 1/8 note rests below are observed whenever you play the "stem up" dotted quarter melody note above. Also, the stem down pickup bass notes are 1/8 notes as well. So, stopping those notes from ringing too long also helps to shore up and further elevate the beautiful melody line up top.
So, right hand control is key to making this one shine.
I've attached part of the score to highlight this aspect:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sor 35-17 (1).jpg (42.6 KB, 32 views)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Nice job.

I had started that one, you've inspired me to return to it.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice job.

I had started that one, you've inspired me to return to it.

I'm mostly glad I was responsible for you coming back again!

I can't ask for anything more... thank you!

Last edited by Samoiedo; 04-30-2023 at 10:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical