The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-07-2022, 06:46 AM

Exclamation Who made Gibson's L5 Guitars for them ?

Hi .. would anyone know who made Gibson's L5 Strings for them ?
Since they were discontinued I can not find a Pure Nickel Roundwound String Set to replace the 10-46 Set I use with a .018 Wound 3rd.
GHS seems to be the only one with a Pure Nickel in a wound .018 3rd but it is Rollerwound which may be stiffer. I have them on L5CES but am out of them now and just got a very used early 70s Byrdland now too Thanks.
Edit: I just read the title of this post and thought to myself what a stupid question who would ask such a thing..and the realized it was me : / It must have inserted maybe with auto correct maybe the word guitar instead of strings ..oh. well I tried to change it but won't work.Sorry about that

Last edited by Athana; 04-28-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Considering the huge difference in scale length from an L-5 (25.5”) to a true short scale Byrdland (23.5”), the strings you were using would feel way slinkier.

Hard to compare the two in any reasonable way.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 11-07-2022, 08:08 AM

I wouldn't worry with that 23.5" scale - the GHS 1315 set runs 11-50 which IMO would give you a slinky feel on the Byrdland, and if you want more punch from that short-scale/thin-body combination I'd even consider the 1400 12-54 set...
Old 11-15-2022, 08:32 AM

Gibson shut down its string winding operation in 1974 so since then they have relied on other companies to keep them supplied.

You might try looking at Newtone Master Class Nickel strings. At the moment I have a set of 12 gauge on my 1956 Epiphone FT79 which really responds well to them. They offer a set of 10s with a wound .018 third string.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Gibson shut down its string winding operation in 1974 so since then they have relied on other companies to keep them supplied.

You might try looking at Newtone Master Class Nickel strings. At the moment I have a set of 12 gauge on my 1956 Epiphone FT79 which really responds well to them. They offer a set of 10s with a wound .018 third string.
I just saw this, no not 1974, it was sometime during Henry’s era that they stopped making their own. If I had to guess it was in the early mid 90’s.
I was told there was a situation that the equipment needed repair and Henry decided instead of repairing to stop making strings. All the .009 Strings I bought..I bought as much as I could buy of old stock in singles to make my own 740XL Sets..all the .009 strings were defective breaking near the ball after a little use so I bought a few dozens of Earnie Ball 009s to use once the flawed ones were all gone.The guy at Classic Ax in Nashville TN would remember he was the authorized dealer of strings with all the single gauges.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:49 PM

I'm sure you know this, but there really is no such thing as a "pure nickel" guitar string. All guitar strings have a steel core. Pure nickel would bend too easily and be impossible to tune. Here's a good article that discusses this: https://stringjoy.com/what-are-guita...ngs-made-from/
Old 03-28-2023, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I'm sure you know this, but there really is no such thing as a "pure nickel" guitar string. All guitar strings have a steel core. Pure nickel would bend too easily and be impossible to tune. Here's a good article that discusses this: https://stringjoy.com/what-are-guita...ngs-made-from/
As I understand it, the term "pure nickel" is used because the wraps are pure nickel. This is to distinguish the strings from the standard nickel plated steel wraps of electric guitar strings. You can't tell the difference by looking at the sets, so calling the sets "pure nickel" has just sort of stuck as a simple descriptor.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-29-2023, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

Calling them Pure Nickel is much the same naming scheme as with Phosphor Bronze or 80/20 strings - the core and plain strings are steel on all of them, and we refer to them by the wrap material.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops