The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-03-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Not sure how the OP's question about a guitar model he was interested in via Willie Nelson's music turned in a discussion about what
a "serious" classical guitar player would or would not want to play. In any case I sure like the sound Willie Nelson gets out of his.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-03-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
I own one of these guitars, but I have never posted about it because of the cork sniffer attitude about how the finish is too thick and the top is too thick.
I love mine. Several advantages to traditional classical builds. -Plenty of volume and rich tone.
Hehe,...well, considering that the man himself, Tom Humphrey, felt the finish that Martin used was much too thick for a classical and hindered what might have been,....I think I'll go with his assessment. :-)

He certainly wouldn't have gone as far as he did on Humphrey-izing a few stock Martin C-TSH models either, had he been satisfied with the finer details. (and I feel fortunate indeed I own one, as my understanding he only did a handful at most as he was busy getting his own guitars made and sold.

Understandably, a factory cannot spend the time a luthier can to reach their intended selling price point, but geeze, a lighter bridge and applying a very light shellac finish was within Martin's capabilities at the time and I doubt it would have pushed the model over budget.

BTW, I'm not a cork sniffing snob either, but unlike you I have an example in hand for for both the stock C-TSH and Tom's re-worked top version, and there is a worthwhile and noticable improvement over the original.

I thought I had sold my original Martin C-TSH long ago, but came across it today in searching. It's easy to forget what you have, since at one time I had accumulated over 50 top grade acoustics,...many custom by fine builders like Kevin Ryan, Tom Doerr, and many more. Over the last 10 years I've sold the majority off, as I'm 62 now and don't want to burden my family with them when the time comes.

YMMV
Joe T

2010 Gagnon Acoustic Only 15" Archtop,
with 3-D Quited Maple & Bearclaw Spruce

Classicals:
2004 Tom Humphrey Millenium
Sakazo Nakade Classical
1982 Masaru Kohno Professional, Brazilian B/S
Martin C-TSH Classical (Tom Humphrey Bridge & Shellac Top Finish!)
1988 Don Banzer 625mm Scale Classical
2008 Johnny Walker Grand Concert Cutaway & Pickup
Old 09-15-2018, 09:16 AM

Thomas Humphrey came from Minnesota as a young luthier and set up shop in New York City making classical guitars in the 1970's. In 1985 he began selling his "Millenium" series and it became so popular with classical guitarists that he stopped making the standard designs 2 years later. In 1997 Humphrey licensed his design to the C. F. Martin Guitar Co., in Nazareth Pennsylvannia and the "Martin Millenium" was born. The Millenium could be manufactured quicker and in greater numbers, thereby making the price more affordable for the average buyer.These models were made available between 1998-2002. In 2002 these guitars won the Acoustic Guitar Magazine 2002 Gold Players' Choice Award for best nylon-string guitars."

Wow- how ignorant people were back in '02!!
Now we know these guitars were a piece of crap. Keep sniffin' that cork.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
Keep sniffin' that cork.
Rather than continue to insult people, how 'bout addressing my previous comments and what I asked of you?
Old 09-15-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Rather than continue to insult people, how 'bout addressing my previous comments and what I asked of you?

I did study classical guitar at university. You assumed I have no knowledge of the subject.
I won't comment further as, personally, I'm not here to measure d___s.
I certainly am not the leading expert in anything- nor do I claim to be.

This is exactly why I seldom post. Let's move on now.
Old 05-26-2023, 02:51 PM

Default N-20

Hey, don't forget the 16 Martin 000-28G's!!! I traded one at the last Philly show for a 1903 1-28!

Ed from Allegheny Valley Guitars
Old 05-27-2023, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy1 View Post
"no serious classical guitarist considers Martin nylon string guitars close to performance calibre." I beg to differ

Martin built the 00-18c 00-18g, 0028c, 00-28g, N10, N20, and C-TSH. All are excellent guitars in their price range. Dollar for dollar they are better than any production guitar for the same price. Remember I said production guitar not custom guitar at 5 to 10 times the cost.

If you compare a 1000 dollar martin against a 1000 competitor nylon they are an excellent value. Same with a 2000 dollar nylon guitar. But a concert level custom guitar are not priced at the same level as Martin's Dollar for dollar Martin's are an excellent value.

A martin C-TSH is a performance level guitar. Designed by Thomas Humphreys built by martin. Until you have played one I wouldn't make such a foolish claim.
Years ago a respected luthier did a brisk business in "fixing" CTSH's by thinning the tops and lightening the braces. Why? Dead sound and apparently TH wasn't happy with what Martin was turning out with his design. Take it as you will.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical