The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-14-2023, 06:26 AM

Default Weber archtop guitars?

Has anyone played, or does anyone own, one of those no-longer-made Weber acoustic archtops? 15" lower bout, deep bodied(3-3/8"). I've plenty of experience with vintage Epiphones and Gibsons, but not contemporary makes, and the Webers(i.e. Bitterroot, Rawhide etc models) are intriguing to me. I'm curious about the tone and volume, and how one would work for my playing mix of roots, Americana, and vintage jazz and blues.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:14 AM

Plenty of info right here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...archtop+guitar
Old 03-14-2023, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Maxim Cormier has recorded quite a bit with his Weber Rawhide, traditional and classical. This guitar is the one up for sale on the Montana Lutherie site, "sale pending". Are you the one looking at it?

Old 03-14-2023, 05:43 PM

There does not seem to be a Weber archtop listed currently on the ML website. I did see one a few months ago: it was the very high end version. I'd only be interested(that is, be able to maybe afford) in the lower level mahogany version. I am hoping, ideally, to hear from someone who owns, or has played one. But thanks for the links!
Old 03-15-2023, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

I own a Bitterroot, mahogany back & sides, sitka top, x braced. I thought about buying the Rawhide on the Montana website, curious about the maple back & side sound. Had it sent to me on approval & spent a few days trying it out. It was great sounding but in the end decided I was happy with the Bitterroot. It's maybea little quieter, a little darker sounding but it plays just as well & yes, a big price bump from what I paid for it up to the Rawhide. I don't have a lot of experience playing other archtops but a Weber has it's own sort of archtop sound I guess. I'm not good at the descriptors. Played a big Epiphone of a friends., a Devon I think, 17". A Weber's not that, unsurprisingly. I have '24 Gibson L-2 that I love but that's different than the Weber too of course. 13" or so lower bout, round sound hole, more of a ladder brace. That one's quieter than the Weber of course and more of the vintage sound but it's also more of a student grade instrument from the old Gibson catalogue, albeit, a nice guitar with a great sound by about any standard. I really love the Weber though & play it often. Great sounding, clear, articulate, sounds like an archtop to me, easy to play, my only 14 freter & the 15" size seems just right to me. Guess I must be kind of a Weber guy. I own a mandolin and a resonator too & they're all top rate imo. Good luck finding one, I don't think they pop up much. I don't think people tend to let them go. My jaw dropped when one popped up for sale a half hour drive from me & it was mine within hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg webers 2.jpg (57.2 KB, 63 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops