The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-20-2023, 06:01 AM

Default Anyone here own a Slaman Dome?

Hi,

Does anyone here own a "The Dome", the nylon-string archtop built by Daniel Slaman?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-21-2023, 04:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Hi,

Does anyone here own a "The Dome", the nylon-string archtop built by Daniel Slaman?
What would you need to know other than what the numerous videos of The Dome don't contain?

The closest I've come to playing a nylon string archtop was spending a couple of months with a John Monteleone experimental build, the body of which he made entirely from cedar. It was strung with silk & steel strings when he gave it to me.

If you wish to hear the what that sounds like I'd be happy to share a couple of videos. Listening to the Slaman Dome was pleasant, and the string anchor choices of fixed bridge, or tailpiece & floating bridge was a very interesting feature/option.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 02-21-2023, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
What would you need to know other than what the numerous videos of The Dome don't contain?
Maybe not even all of that (re-read your question if you don't get my answer )

I wouldn't be adverse of meeting up to try one personally if I find an owner who lives close-by enough.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 02-21-2023, 06:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Maybe not even all of that (re-read your question if you don't get my answer )

I wouldn't be adverse of meeting up to try one personally if I find an owner who lives close-by enough.
There really is NO SUBSTITUTE for having an instrument in your hands.

People talking about any of their experience with a guitar is non-transferrable-data, when it comes to another player who has not actually played one, unless of course, they're addicted to reading and hearing about tonal-adjectives & superlatives & specifications....which is the junk food of most guitar forums.

I don't know where you're located, but perhaps Daniel can answer the question about possible owners in your general area.

Toasted Wheat Underpinnings,
HE
Old 02-21-2023, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
There really is NO SUBSTITUTE for having an instrument in your hands.
Well, doh ...

Still, discussing with an owner is a useful complement to watching demo videos if you can't get hands-on experience. I've had contact with Daniel but he doesn't really seem to like answering questions and/or has too many things going on. He's no longer taking orders either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops