The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-16-2022, 02:15 PM

Default Strings for the Eastman AR805

For the second time since I bought the Eastman AR805, I forgot that Martin Retro strings aren't long enough to string it. Specifically the G and D strings.

What strings are you using on yours?

Old 10-16-2022, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I have D'addario New Balance mediums on mine.
seem to last forever, and had no issues with lengths.

Old 10-16-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I have D'addario New Balance mediums
Thanks. But, by "New Balance," do you mean "Nickel Bronze?" Those are the only NBs I can find on the D'Addario site.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:16 PM

My 805 wears Thomastik Be Bops. They're excellent electric strings and quite acceptable for acoustic playing. Long-wearing, too.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:42 PM

I'm very surprised, as I have no problem fitting them on my similarly-sized Godin 5th Avenue acoustic (and the only archtops I've heard of with this issue are New York-era Epiphones with original Frequensator tailpieces); BTW if by "not long enough" you mean that the wrapped portion doesn't reach the tuner, it's perfectly OK if only the core wire wraps around the post - in fact that's fairly standard operating procedure for bass-guitar strings...
Old 10-16-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
BTW if by "not long enough" you mean that the wrapped portion doesn't reach the tuner, it's perfectly OK if only the core wire wraps around the post - in fact that's fairly standard operating procedure for bass-guitar strings...
That's exactly it. And I was wondering if winding the core wire around the post would be kosher, but it's just so different from my experience that I just assumed it wouldn't.

Thanks.

OTOH, there was plenty of string - and not just core wire - on the D'Addario Ej17's I used as placeholders.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Thanks. But, by "New Balance," do you mean "Nickel Bronze?" Those are the only NBs I can find on the D'Addario site.
Ah, yes, I'm old, I get confused! Nickel Bronze mediums.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
That's exactly it. And I was wondering if winding the core wire around the post would be kosher, but it's just so different from my experience that I just assumed it wouldn't...
Don't think twice - just put the new strings on and enjoy...
Old 10-17-2022, 01:39 PM

Thanks fellers. I appreciate the advice and recommendations.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:00 PM

I had no issue fitting Retro monel Martins on my 805ce. Btw, you have more wraps around the tuners posts than needed. Wrap the string around itself and all you need is 1 to 1.5, have been doing this 20 years with no issues.
Just put on a set of Pyramid polished nickel round cores. They are .12's and I should have know better, having determined some time back that .13's make a noted improvement in volume. Not enough to make me swap out the Pyramids but when I do change strings again it will be .13 I liked the retro's and they last a good long time, just wanted to try something else. May try D'Addario pure nickels next.

Last edited by OKCtodd71; 10-19-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCtodd71 View Post
I had no issue fitting Retro monel Martins on my 805ce. Btw, you have more wraps around the tuners posts than needed. Wrap the string around itself and all you need is 1 to 1.5, have been doing this 20 years with no issues.
Just put on a set of Pyramid polished nickel round cores. They are .12's and I should have know better, having determined some time back that .13's make a noted improvement in volume. Not enough to make me swap out the Pyramids but when I do change strings again it will be .13 I liked the retro's and they last a good long time, just wanted to try something else. May try D'Addario pure nickels next.
Thanks. I agree there's an excess of wrap on that low E string.

I left this out of my original post but I like to use the "Luthier's Knot" method, which requires a bit more string than the Retros allow on the D & G. No problem with the place-holder D'Addarios though. String to spare.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
...I left this out of my original post but I like to use the "Luthier's Knot" method
Based on what I can see in the photo, if you use only the plain portion of the string to do the luthier's knot, going right to the edge of the winding, you'll get about 3 wraps of the wound portion around the post when brought up to pitch - I regularly have more than that on all but my low E (and sometimes A) with no issues, and while it's a matter of taste I also like the additional break angle over the nut...
Old 11-05-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Ah, yes, I'm old, I get confused! Nickel Bronze mediums.
Following up. Thanks for the recommendation. The D'Addario NBs have plenty of string on the D & G strings for the "luthier's knot" technique. Not to mention a handy zip-lock package to keep the other 4 strings fresh till I'm ready to replace 'em.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops