The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-29-2022, 08:11 PM

Default A late bloomer. . . to the archtop world

Greetings. After having own 50+ guitars in my life, I got myself (just today) a Gretsch Synchromatic G100CE. What can you tell me about this model?
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 08-29-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
...What can you tell me about this model?
All-laminated (spruce/maple) entry-level jazzbox w/suspended humbucker, uses some historic '30s-40s Gretsch styling cues (headstock shape/lettering font, "harp" tailpiece, stairstep bridge base, elongated pickguard) but not really based on any vintage Gretsch offering, decently-built (their Korean stuff invariably is) but at $850 street somewhat overpriced for what it is IMO. I'm an old Gretsch guy since 1964, and if I were looking for a beginner 16" full-depth hollowbody I'd sooner score one of the lower-end Ibanez AF series (FYI they used to make one with a suspended pickup for around $400 street - comparable in construction/tone/QC IME), or for about $50 more than the Gretsch a Godin CW II which, although it has two built-in pickups (humbuckers or P-90's - your choice) and isn't really intended as an acoustic instrument, will give you some of the sweetest plugged-in comp tones you'll find - Tony Bennett's guitarist used one for a number of years, and I think both he and his boss know when it sounds "right"...

That said, there are a few things you can do to optimize your instrument: heavier strings (wound-G 12's to start - 13's if you can handle them - and since it's essentially a dedicated electric guitar anyway, flatwounds will allow you to drop the action much lower without buzzing or rattling), a good-quality bridge (I've had success with the StewMac items, which are also available in different configurations that will allow you to customize the tone to your needs), and a properly-fitted bridge base (extremely important and, next to neck geometry, one of the biggest contributors to both playability and tone); while it'll likely never be a true dual-purpose acoustic + electric like a suspended-pickup carved top (or some of the laminated postwar Gibson/Epiphone single-pickup jazzboxes) you'll have enough unplugged volume for at-home practice and/or recording work, and the heavier strings will drive the top sufficiently for you to get some "wood" into your amplified tone...

Use it well and often...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 08-30-2022 at 04:45 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops