The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-28-2009, 05:22 PM

Default Erich Solomon Guitars

Hi folks. Anyone played a guitar made by Erich Solomon. I saw/played his guitars for the first time in Montreal this July and loved them. Wound up getting the Grand American, 18 inch archtop, which I really love. The Phidelity is a great guitar, too.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Default Erichs family and guitars

Hi,
I know Erich Solomon's guitars well. When you get to see them, you get his family too and they are all nice including his mother,
Erich's guitars are stunning and sound great. I don't know his models real well but I believe one of them is the Abraxas. Please take a picture of your guitar and post it. I would love to see it. Does your guitar have the underside tail piece that Erich uses? I too was at the Montreal show.
W

Last edited by willmisslespaul; 09-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 PM

Yes - Erich used to live up here in Anchorage, maybe ten years ago now. This is where he got started in the trade, and where he made all his earliest instruments. I played most if not all of the instruments to come out of his shop while he was based here.

Erich's a great guy and a very talented builder. If you speak to him, please tell him Wade Hampton Miller says "Howdy!" and "Get a haircut, you shagnasty!!"

I'm probably dating myself with that last bit: for all I know Erich's probably shaven his head and wearing a large jade plug in one nostril by now...

But when he was living up here in Darkest Alaska Erich had a head of Botticelli curls that would be the envy of many, I'm sure.

None of which has anything to do with his marvelous, light-as-a-feather archtop guitars. But the ones I played were revelatory in many ways.

I'm sure he's gotten just that much better since he left here.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-03-2009, 04:58 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I had a Koa backed Archtop that was the easiest playing guitar I have ever owned or played. Really wonderful. I had gotten it in a trade, it was a touch too Art Deco for me so I sold it. I miss it though!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops