The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Denver Jazz Guitar stores

My son and I will be in Greeley the end of this month auditioning at Northern Colorado. He has talked about wanting a good jazz guitar as his high school graduation present. We will have some time possibly look at guitars while we are there so I am wondering if there are any good guitar shops in Denver/Ft Collins area for jazz guitars. I would love for him to find an Epiphone Byrdland and/or an Ibanez George Benson for him to try.

any recommendations

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 PM

Contact the folks at Spotlight Music in Fort Collins. 970 377-8066. I don't know from jazz guitars, but they've got a very nice selection of everything I look at.

Glenn D.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:31 PM

I cannot recommend any Denver guitars stores, but and however, I can recommend archtop.com I have purchased three archtops from Joe at archtop.com, and I have been very pleased with all of them. Aside from that, I would highly recommend you check out Eastman guitars, these are the best value in an archtop these days, imo.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:55 PM

You could check at Guitars Etc. in Longmont. It might be worth a call before you go to see what he has in stock. He has a ton of guitars in his shop.

http://www.guitarsetc.net/

You could also check at Wildwood Guitars in Louisville.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/index.html

There aren't any good guitar stores in Greeley that have much in stock. Most are general music stores that have just a few of the basics. The best selection would probably be at Campus Music at 9 Avenue and 16 Street, but he usually doesn't keep much in stock either.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jack...
Wildwood in Louisville (Boulder) has a variety of guitars (they come and go), as does Guitars ETC. in Longmont. Both are smaller operations and worth calling ahead and seeing what they have in stock.

Also, Bobby's Music in Denver used to stock Eastman (and maybe others). If you do a bit of calling around you may save time from just running around.

Also, there is Old Town Pickin' Parlor in Denver, and a smaller Guitar Center in Fort Collins and larger one in North Denver (just a short drive South of the Wildwood store in Louisville/Boulder).

Guitar Centers often have a ''used'' room. I've done very good business over the years with the N. Denver store.

Guitar Centers in the area...
8601 Sheridan Blvd
Arvada, CO 80003 (South of Boulder on Hwy-36)
Phone: 720-540-3033

813 East Harmony Road
Fort Collins, Colorado 80525 (Due West from Greeley)
Phone: 970-204-0220

Old Town Pickin' Parlor info:
http://www.picknparlor.com/Home.htm

Any of these are worth calling to see what they have in stock. All of them I've done business with except the Fort Collins Guitar Center (it's new). Spotlight is good too (in Fort Collins) but small, though they have some good used deals occasionally.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Denver shops

I'll second Old Town Pickin Parlor, but also check Acoustic Music Revival (http://acousticmusicrevival.com/acou...l-guitars.html) and National Speaker and Sound (http://www.nationalspeaker.com/retail_guitar.html), more so national for electrics/jazz guitars, but all of these might have some used equipment to look at. Wish your son good luck on his audition! I'm a music business major at CU Denver and I remember the auditioning process.... very stressful.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Jazz Box

Do you have a price in mind?
1995 Taylor 814CE
2002 Tacoma AJF22CE
2002 Seagull 20th Anniversary
2003 Martin Felix (don't ask)
2005 Martin J-12-15
Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxson50 View Post
Do you have a price in mind?
I am figuring it will be between $1k and $2k. Tad has looked and played Eastmans, Guilds and Gibsons here in Portland. Right now he clearly favors the Eastmans. I think an Eastman would be good choice, I just want to make sure he plays a good variety in making a decision. I am considering both new and used.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Default jazz box's

For that kind of money I would give archtop.com a look, I believe they are just up the road from you in the Seattle area.
I know I will catch flak for saying this , but as for Eastman's, they may look fine and play well, but I feel they are over priced, they are after all still a Asian import, I do not believe that years down the road they will hold their value, just my two cents here.
There are other imports available just as well made for a lot less $$$, and if they just hold value or even lose a little its no big deal.
Some sleepers that are out there are the Guild X models, Ibanez arch tops and the Fender made D'Aquisto's.
If your son likes the Eastman guitars, you may want to look at the Stromberg imports, I think they are as good or better and are lower priced, they may be built in the same plant. Don't over look the Samick and Cort guitar's.
Good luck!
1995 Taylor 814CE
2002 Tacoma AJF22CE
2002 Seagull 20th Anniversary
2003 Martin Felix (don't ask)
2005 Martin J-12-15

Last edited by jaxson50; 02-13-2008 at 09:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops