The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How often do you get GAS?
Every other day. 24 17.14%
Once a week. 8 5.71%
Once in 2 weeks. 3 2.14%
Once a month. 18 12.86%
Once in 2-3 months. 15 10.71%
Once in 4-6 months. 15 10.71%
Once in 7-12 months. 17 12.14%
Once in 13-24 months. 17 12.14%
Once in 25 months to 5 years. 11 7.86%
I never experience GAS. 12 8.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2020, 09:24 AM

Bought and sold more that I should have in the last 7-8 years, but I'm pretty close to break even on the money so I view it as renting nice guitars. I've now settled on a few that are long term keepers. I have a few more to sell I think. I still see one now and then in the classifieds that I'd love to own but then I look at what I have and am content. I know what I like and spend my time working on my skills instead of lusting after the next greatest thing.

Last year I visited a high end store and the owner was very gracious and I essentially had the run of the place for several hours. There were many brands and models that I had never tried before so I was like a kid in a candy store. There were high end Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, Lowdens, Breedloves, Larrivees, etc, etc. Two guitars really spoke to me: a Bourgeous Country Boy OM and believe it or not, a used Gibson J-15 burst. The Gibson was mint condition and only $1200 and I almost bought it but I have a J-35 and they are similar. The Country Boy was way out of my price and skill range - but maybe someday.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Accept that I have GAS and look at the guitar I want to buy everyday and thinking well, I can buy it whenever I want to so let’s practice and enjoy what I have first. It for sure sounds as good as the ones I’m looking at.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:36 AM

If I were a rich man.
Deedle Deedle deedle deedle dee.
All day long I'd buy guitars.
If I were a wealthy man.

They are tools to me. I'm by far no collecter.
I have 4 instruments 2 guitars
A mandolin and a tenor guitar
Tuned like an octave mandolin.
Are there other guitars I would like??
You bet there is. But what I own suits me well. Could I buy any guitar i want?
Most likely as most are under 6 figures.
But I think buying such a guitar is pointless.
Only a display of wealth as opposed to
a real need.
I do have gear acquisition syndrome as I think I spend more on gizmos for live sound
than I do on instruments.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:22 PM

Hello, my name is Birchtop and I’m a guitaraholic.

I live with GAS pretty much constantly, 24/7
Old 10-17-2020, 01:52 PM

I don't get expensive item GAS much anymore. I'm really happy with the acoustics, electrics, and amps I own.

But I've been buying some nice mics ($300-$500 retail) lately.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:59 PM

I had GAS for a Boucher but the stars aligned and a Martin 000-18 called my name so I brought it home.

Now all I want to do is to be the best player that I can.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:04 PM

As with some others, all the time. The cure is I go play one or more of the fine guitars I have, and can't really imagine, most of the time, getting a better one, or finding the time to play another one. So, the GAS is a little bit for me like going to a car show. I want the Ferraris and the McClarens in my imagination, but can't believe they'd give me more satisfaction and use than what I drive now.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:04 PM

Once you get enough of a selection you realize that if you get another one it will take away time playing one of the others. That's when you are cured.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:50 PM

I look at guitars almost daily but for the most part resist the temptation. I...must ...be...strong...
Old 10-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender View Post
Andy,

Did you bought a Eastman special edition sold by a well known seller in the Netherlands?

Warm regards from Portugal!
Ah, muito bom! Eu acho que você tem!
Não deixe até segunda-feira
Old 10-17-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I didn’t vote in your poll because you didn’t have an option for “all of the time.” To me how often I think about and want guitars is kind of like asking “How often do you find women attractive?” or “How often do you like to breathe?”

For all three my answer is “Pretty much all of the time.”

I’m a lifer that way, I guess....

Wade Hampton “Guitar Buying Recidivist” Miller
I'm with Wade...unfortunately? But I really have all I need at this point...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:15 PM

I've dealt with G.A.S since the very first time I saw a guitar in my father's hands, which would have been around 1964. But I try not to buy a guitar more than once every two years. I do research, listen to sound clips, play several, try to think of why I want it and what it will be used for, and make myself wait, because something even more enticing might come along. Right?

Which is why there is a brand-spanking new D-28 currently sitting in my music room. It's been two years, I needed an alternate guitar to stay in standard tuning, and one with strong trebles and a deep woody bass. To ease the pain of having to wait another two years, I'm currently in the process of convincing my songwriting partner to get a new D-18. I admit to have already convinced him to buy an Eastman as a placeholder, because he was down to just an older 12-string, (just one guitar, EGAD!) and he needed a 6-string pretty bad.

No offense offered to Eastman owners, because it's a good guitar, but the guy needs a Martin once in his life before he takes a dirt nap. Then his son can take the Eastman, and everybody will end up happy with an upgrade.

Obviously, if you are suffering from G.A.S., I'm not the kind of person you should hang out with for any length of time.

... JT
Old 10-17-2020, 10:50 PM

I probably have too many acoustic guitars I tell myself every winter as I need to keep them humidified. I definitely have too many electric guitars, though I enjoy that plenty. For me there's something about an electric guitar that interesting even as a silent machine or sculpture. None of my electrics (or my acoustics either) are valuable or high end models, most were obtained over about a decade of finding interesting used or closeout models.

Now does that stop me from having GAS attacks? No.

With electrics after that the moment of attraction I usually calm down, think over what I own, and find that I have, or have owned, something close enough to that.

With acoustics the winter watering helps tamp down GAS, and I don't have as much attraction to them as objets d'art. I do think I have a "hole" in my accumulation of tools for smaller than dreadnaught rosewood back&sides guitar, but often when I see one that I think might be affordable to me I find that it has a narrower than 1.75 inch nut and I've vowed to not buy any more acoustics without at least that width.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-18-2020, 01:56 AM

Smile

Thanks for all your comments and votes! Keep them coming. I’ve enjoyed reading all your comments!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 10-18-2020, 04:13 AM

Default gas

Who ever heard of such a silly thing.(GAS)
Martin Jeff Daniels custom OM #33
Martin Eric Clapton Custom Signature
Martin CEO-7
Martin 0-18
Guild F65ce
Waterloo WL12 MH
Fender Stratocaster 1980 (American

My biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion