The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Most of these posts are referring to Ovangkol back and sides. An Ovangkol top is a whole different story. If you’re OK with a guitar with not much volume, I think you will love it. And of course if you played plugged in then it’s not even an issue.
That's fair enough, Paul, but I made it clear in my first post in this thread that that that was the only experience with ovangkol that I've had. Perhaps if someone was just skimming my posts they might miss that, but I did my best to communicate that right upfront.

whm
Old 10-16-2020, 05:40 PM

I have owned two ovangkol/spruce guitars, a Taylor 414 and a Taylor 410, both made in 2001. The 414 was a great all around guitar, and the 410 compared favorably to a D-18 tonally. I often refer to ovangkol as "rose-hogany" having tonal characteristics of both. The Taylor tone EQ chart that Bruce posted shows my perception. Like most others, I have never played an ovangkol topped guitar. I would have to be convinced by trying an example, but it would be surprising if it proved to be impressive. My guess is that such a guitar would be like a very underwhelming / heavily overbuilt version of an all mahogany guitar of the same body size.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That's fair enough, Paul, but I made it clear in my first post in this thread that that that was the only experience with ovangkol that I've had. Perhaps if someone was just skimming my posts they might miss that, but I did my best to communicate that right upfront.

whm
This wasn’t specifically directed at you Wade. I just wanted to make sure the OP didn’t base his decision on reviews of Ovangkol back and sides only.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
This wasn’t specifically directed at you Wade. I just wanted to make sure the OP didn’t base his decision on reviews of Ovangkol back and sides only.
Okay, fair enough.

A large part of the problem is that ovangkol flies under the radar most of the time. Taylor has been building guitars out of it for more than twenty years now. But like bubinga - another superb tonewood - most of the general guitarplaying public doesn't even know it exists.

whm
Old 10-16-2020, 08:01 PM

I used to own a Taylor 410-CE, spruce top and Ovangkol back and sides. I found that particular guitar lacked the depth and warmth typically associated with the Rosewoods. I’m thinking it was more Koa sounding, now that I remember it. Not my cup of tea.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
I used to own a Taylor 410-CE, spruce top and Ovangkol back and sides. I found that particular guitar lacked the depth and warmth typically associated with the Rosewoods. I’m thinking it was more Koa sounding, now that I remember it. Not my cup of tea.
That maybe true but if you add Ovangkol to the top wood you do get a ton of depth and warmth that is very much like Rosewood. That’s why I keep saying that if you’re only talking back and sides you’re not really addressing the OP’s question. Unfortunately you lose too much volume for my taste.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:26 PM

Just get any Martin.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
No Paul i'm not basing any reviews on anything at this stage i'm just intrigued at a guitar made entirely out of the one type of wood where as most guitars these days the back and sides are a different wood to the top but a guitar where the back and sides are the same type of wood you don't tend to see much at least over here in Aus.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
No Paul i'm not basing any reviews on anything at this stage i'm just intrigued at a guitar made entirely out of the one type of wood where as most guitars these days the back and sides are a different wood to the top but a guitar where the back and sides are the same type of wood you don't tend to see much at least over here in Aus.
Well then as a past owner of that guitar, as long as you don't need a lot of volume, I would highly recommend it.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:49 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Well then as a past owner of that guitar, as long as you don't need a lot of volume, I would highly recommend it.
I thought you had one at one time. Was it the OMC model?

I don't remember the ones I played as being on the quiet side otherwise I would have brought it up when I did a mini review way back when. I've played a few Breedloves that have been quiet and the OMC didn't remind me of them. Do you strum, flat pick (bluegrass maybe) and need/want a really robust guitar? I think its helpful to tell people how we play so that they can have a frame of reference when talking about a guitar we have played/owned. (I often forget to mention I play finger style with flesh only).

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-17-2020, 09:40 AM

I bought an ovankol guitar, a Martin GPC Special, from GC in December. Being a relative novice, I'm not sure that I have the right vocabulary to describe how this guitar sounds, but I'll give it a shot.

To me, the best word to describe it is articulate. The individual notes are very clear even when strumming chords. It's darker than spruce and it doesn't have much bottom end. It's very well balanced from top to bottom. I love the way it sounds. It also amplifies beautifully. I play exclusively in small spaces so the lack of projection is no handicap for me.

I couldn't be happier with it. I hope this helps you a little.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I thought you had one at one time. Was it the OMC model?

I don't remember the ones I played as being on the quiet side otherwise I would have brought it up when I did a mini review way back when. I've played a few Breedloves that have been quiet and the OMC didn't remind me of them. Do you strum, flat pick (bluegrass maybe) and need/want a really robust guitar? I think its helpful to tell people how we play so that they can have a frame of reference when talking about a guitar we have played/owned. (I often forget to mention I play finger style with flesh only).
Yes, it was the OMC model. As far as volume, it was OK strumming and flatpicking but for fingerstyle it was just too quiet. I really struggled with letting it go because I loved the tone. I even considered getting a soundport put it in, but ultimately decided to sell it and use the money towards an OM-28.

Funny you should mention Breedlove. I ended up selling a Breedlove Masterclass Axis because it was too quiet. But yet the Breedlove American and Focus I owned had plenty of volume.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXMoore View Post
It's darker than spruce and it doesn't have much bottom end. It's very well balanced from top to bottom. I love the way it sounds. It also amplifies beautifully. I play exclusively in small spaces so the lack of projection is no handicap for me.

I couldn't be happier with it. I hope this helps you a little.
I owned that model and found that it had plenty of bottom end, though lacking in volume. However, we are in agreement that it amplifies great.

Proof that we all perceive things differently and that we should take all our reviews with a grain of salt. Who knows which of us is the norm or the exception.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:57 AM

All I know is that I happened to be in a Guitar Center a couple years back and they had one of their Guitar Center exclusive model Martin MMVs on the wall. Spruce top, ovangkol back and sides. From the first strum, it just REALLY clicked with me. Had I the spare funds at the time, I totally would have bought it on the spot, even with the aging toner and gold hardware - two things that are normally dealbreakers for me.

Just something about that sound...
Old 10-17-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I owned that model and found that it had plenty of bottom end, though lacking in volume. However, we are in agreement that it amplifies great.

Proof that we all perceive things differently and that we should take all our reviews with a grain of salt. Who knows which of us is the norm or the exception.
My frame of reference was the Martin Dreadnought I was returning when I got it. You probably right in that it has plenty on the low side compared with my other acoustics, which are both 00 sized. I don't own a Dreadnought and I'm starting to feel a little guilty about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion