The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Collings OMs versus Santa Cruz OMs:
Collings have:
a brighter sound
clearer note separation
more consistency of tone from guitar to guitar

None of the Collings or Santa Cruz OMs I have owned or played have had the volume or solidity of note tone that I prefer (limited sample size of course). Santa Cruz guitars vary more in sound, so it might be a little more hit or miss - always worth checking out those that might be in stock in a store. Also, I hope to check out Collings new "traditional" series of guitars to see if they have more of a warmer, woody, sound.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-20-2016, 10:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
Curious to know how folks would compare these two builders in terms of tone, build and playability? Also, which body size do you prefer between the two
and why? I generally get a mild sense that Santa Cruz edges Collings in terms of the popularity of their OM model (and perhaps other small body models) the while Collings has a slight edge with their dreadnoughts. What do folks think?
Thanks for posting this. I don't own either, but have heard great things about both.

thanks again,
scott memmer
Old 10-20-2016, 11:21 AM

They're all good. I heard a new Collings tradition dread recently that's in my top five favorite guitars ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
They brutally punish you for poor technique or sloppy fingering, and frankly, I'm getting tired of it.
agreed!

I've taken my credit card out many times but I still haven't found a Santa Cruz to take home. Not to say it couldn't happen.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:07 PM

Both great brands. I lean towards SCGC. I've owned 2 Collings and just didn't bond with them. I also like SCGC as a company...Richard Hoover seems to be more "visible" in the guitar community.
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 10-20-2016, 03:49 PM

I once owned a Colling D2 and sold it because, lack of a better word to describe, too perfect. What I mean by that, too bright for my ear. It sounded too much like a Taylor. Not a bad guitar, just not my cup of tea. My primary guitar is an SC-OM/PW. I love this guitar. I like the way it plays, the way it sounds and as someone in a previous post said, "Its forgiving!" Just my two cents toward the conversation.

GoufousDoufous
Collings UT1 Tenor Ukulele
Eastman 305 Mandolin
McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer
Thomason Mountain Dulcimer
Deering Eagle ii Banjo
Homemade Wash Tub Bass
O'Riordon Tin whistle (Traveler Set)
Hammered Dulcimer by Jim Hudson
Old 10-20-2016, 04:07 PM

I don't have a ton of experience with either brand. That said, in my various adventures to Elderly Instruments over the years, a Collings OM-2H was the best OM style guitar under $4K that I've ever played. A Santa Cruz model H may have been the best fingerpicking guitar I've ever played and a Santa Cruz Style 1 was the best sounding small bodied guitar I've ever played. I prefer rosewood back and sides and all of the afore mentioned guitars were rosewood bodied. And naturally, those opinions were based on my particular tastes. As far as quality and playability go, I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

And in my not so humble opinion, and I've voted with my wallet, Martin guitars of the same configurations are no slouches compared to the above brands.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 10-20-2016, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

I went into a relatively local high-end guitar store about this time last year looking to take my guitar ownership to the 'next level'. I was almost certain that a Bourgeois would be my Zen. And if not then surely a Collings. Santa Cruz was not on my radar at all. I knew they were comparable in quality and had their following but just never really considered them.

Played many, many Bourgeois and Collings guitars and while all were excellent guitars none of the spoke to me at all. Tones were more modern-ish and the necks were all on the thin side. Almost Taylor-esque. Somewhat deflated I grabbed a Santa Cruz and was instantly impressed on every level. I then played probably 10 more SCGC guitars and every single one of them was something quite special.

I ended up with a OO sitka/rosewood SCGC and it's still my Zen guitar. They soft V neck is the most perfect neck I've ever played and it suits me perfectly. I don't think you can wrong with any of those guitars and add to that the H&D line and the Martins. You really just have to play them all and see which brand trips your trigger. Only you will know but trust me when I say, you WILL know it when you play it!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

My first and lasting impression of my Collings OM1AH is its impressive clarity and projection. It's not inaccurate to say it is like a Taylor on streroids. For most fingerstyle music I play, it probably stands out in my collection but I find my Taylors are actually a bit better for my style when I just like to strum. I've been getting into flatpicking and the OM1AH's tone fits very well so I'm very happy with it. I'm a beginner intermediate and I find the Collings is a joy to play. You do hear your mistakes more but the playability is wonderful.

While I have never played a SCGC guitar, I would venture to say that my Jake Robinson 12 fret slope shouldered dread (spruce/hog) would be more similar to the SCGC tone. It is not as bright as the OM1AH but it is warmer and lusher. That could simply be the difference between a spruce top and an Adi top.

My wish list has to try both a Collings and/or Santa Cruz 000/00. I may end up with either or better yet both.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post

My wish list has to try both a Collings and/or Santa Cruz 000/00. I may end up with either or better yet both.
Be sure to try the Collings 000 12-fret in rosewood. The only Collings I almost pulled the trigger on. It got beat out only by a Froggy H12 -- which is no cause for shame.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:05 PM

Played both their OMs. Love the SCGC neck, string spacing, and sustain. Both builders are excellent. It all depends what you prefer to hear. For example, I don't know if thats a cocobolo wood property or what, but I was searching for this rich dark sound. Collings OMs were brighter, and like someone else suggested, when strummed reminded me of Taylors. Now if you want to go contemporary, Goodall makes some unique sounding OMs.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Owning both brands, my experience is fit and finish are both superb. I have not found a flawed example from the factory.

The SCGCs seem to be a bit lighter in weight than Collings. Could be the bolt-on neck material weight in the Collings, not certain.

I enjoy the voicing of the SCGC for vocal accompaniment and songwriting. They tend to be the more mellow and traditional in tone.

The Collings tend to be pure, crisp, articulate and more modern in tone.

The SCGCs to me feel more loose or broken in from the start than the Collings.

I have not yet tried the Traditional series of Collings.

As I said, I own a couple from both builders and I cannot tell you one is better than the other. They both do what they do extremely well.

Last edited by vintageom; 10-21-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:02 PM

Both companies build great guitars. I've owned a handful of both. Personally, I like the fit and finish of SCGC better.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I'm overstating, but I'd put those two companies at the opposite ends of the tonal spectrum and construction in that "small company" range. As said, Santa Cruz being traditional in tone, and lightly built. Collings having a modern tone that to me is often too bright, piano-like, and more heavily built.
I would echo that assessment. I have played several from both makers, and owned a couple of Collings over the years. Collings guitars do feel heavy, and tend to have a bright, punchy sound. SC sound mellower and sweeter to my ears. If I were in the market for a guitar at that price, I would lean toward SC, and consider Bourgeois and some other makers too. But you will never catch me saying anything negative about Collings. They are great too, if that is the sound you want. Personal preference is what matters...
Old 02-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Default CollingsOM/ScgcOM

Both are superb quality.
I own one of each right now and compare them daily.
Collings has a drier crisper sound. Very clean, precise.
SCGC has a wet, rich, full voice.

If I had to choose to let one go it would be Collings. Fortunately, I don't, and they are different enough to keep me interested in both.

Since sound, tone, etc is so subjective, it's a "pick'em" for the listener. You need to play them side to side to compare. Words cannot accurately describe what we hear, and of course some models vary a lot within the same maker.

I would say since you are looking at 3500 to 4500 used for a nice OM, you need to go play a few, then decide. Or, like in my case, figure on losing a few hundred when you decide to move the one you don't care for.
Warmoth telecaster
Old 02-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

I bought a new SC OM with Italian Spruce and IRW, with the idea it would be my last guitar. I played it a lot for over a year and never found a set of strings I liked on it. Almost gave up on it, but it's sounding better now.

But then I stopped by my favorite boutique store an got hold of a Collings OM2H-Traditional. It rocked my world--mostly because the neck fit my hand absolutely perfectly and I couldn't stop playing it. While playing, I became aware of the dynamics and the tonal potential in it and noticed that I was a more musical guitar player for the time I spent with it. I took it home and it will become my go-to. But then I got to thinking about the D1-Traditional that they also had and I brought it home a week later. Again, just fits me to a T.

So now I have the two Collings and the Santa Cruz, but my fave at the moment for finger picking is My Lowden F-35c cedar over Koa.

To make a long story long, there are so many great guitars. Find the ones that speak to you. Definitely recommend checking out the Collings Traditionals though, if you can find some.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion