The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Several years ago, I happened upon a Gibson Acoustics promotional event held at one of their premier dealers. I had been in the shop three or four times over a six month period, and was frustrated with their lack of basic models. I had not seen a J 45 or a J 200 in the store. I had asked the manager why and he said the owner wanted to sell what they had before he could order more. He had a wall full of special editions he was forced to buy so the store could get Les Pauls and such. So they had the Bob Dylan J 200 that was an extra $2k, a hideous Donovan J 45 with the bumpy finish. THREE special edition ROSEWOOD J 45s etc. The one I'd have considered was a Sheryl Crow. Not a bad guitar. What I was ready to buy was a J 45 Vintage. They hadn't had one in the store in six months. They were taking care of the box stores who bought ten at a crack.

So the rep walked up to me asking if I wanted to enter a drawing for $200 off a Gibson acoustic, and I told him where he could stick his ticket book. The good thing is after having played a J 45 vintage I upped my budget to possibly buy an old Gibson and ended up with my Epi Texan, so all was well. But to see the same Special additions on the wall month after month was depressing. I should have bought the one J 45 vintage I played, but I was not mentally ready at the time.

USTs are not my idea of a pickup on anything unless they come with a tonedexter.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-15-2020, 03:01 PM

Wanting to remove the electronics in a guitar that expensive????

If you don't want the pickups then yeah sure just get one that's a straight up acoustic, you'll find it'll be a bit cheaper if it doesn't have the pickup system in it anyway. The J-45's are a lovely guitar, but if you do get one me personally i'd be getting one that did have the pickups in it, for the simple reason some acoustic guitars can sound amazing when amplified.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Wanting to remove the electronics in a guitar that expensive????

If you don't want the pickups then yeah sure just get one that's a straight up acoustic, you'll find it'll be a bit cheaper if it doesn't have the pickup system in it anyway. The J-45's are a lovely guitar, but if you do get one me personally i'd be getting one that did have the pickups in it, for the simple reason some acoustic guitars can sound amazing when amplified.
A lot of us J45 owners do not care for the stock pickup the J45 comes with.
It’s an under-the-saddle transducer that “quacks”, especially at higher volumes. That “quack” sound is not at all what the guitar sounds like acoustically and there are much better options.
Anyway, even if you could get a J45 Standard new from the factory without the UST in it, I highly doubt it would cost less than a production model with the pick up installed.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-16-2020, 11:49 AM

Personally, I'd rather not pay for an electrics package that I don't want/need and that gets in the way of a really good tone by separating the saddle from the bridge/top.

Furthermore, earlier responders indicate that, to get a model without the pickup, you have to buy a more expensive 'vintage' instrument from a premium range? Is it just me that finds this completely upside-down.

This has pretty much put me off getting anything from Gibson that is in my price range (at the top of which sits the J45 Standard and the L-00). Even the Studio versions suffer from this 'blight'. Of course the problem is not isolated to the output of Bozeman's finest, although I'll acknowledge that at least the package is 'unobtrusive'.

I'm probably in a minority of the market, looking for a great guitar from a proven manufacturer that doesn't offer me what I don't want. If Gibson made the L-00 without a piezo system I'd be there like a shot.

So where can I buy one of those, with a consistent build quality?

Oh look, over there ... the Waterloo WL-14!

Oh and NEVER respond to a thread when you're feeling grumpy and tired!
Old 10-16-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG_1960 View Post
Personally, I'd rather not pay for an electrics package that I don't want/need and that gets in the way of a really good tone by separating the saddle from the bridge/top.

Furthermore, earlier responders indicate that, to get a model without the pickup, you have to buy a more expensive 'vintage' instrument from a premium range? Is it just me that finds this completely upside-down.

This has pretty much put me off getting anything from Gibson that is in my price range (at the top of which sits the J45 Standard and the L-00). Even the Studio versions suffer from this 'blight'. Of course the problem is not isolated to the output of Bozeman's finest, although I'll acknowledge that at least the package is 'unobtrusive'.

Oh and NEVER respond to a thread when you're feeling grumpy and tired!
It’s not upside down it’s based on production and efficiencies.
The manufacturer, in your instance, Gibson, has their production set up to install this stock pickup. To disrupt that causes a break in the smooth-running chain of said production and raises their costs.
For most folks, the removal of this stock pickup and either leaving it completely out or substituting something of their preference is relatively minor when they consider the cost of the guitar to start with and it is in fact the guitar they want.
I would agree with the last part of your post. I’ve been guilty of being short of patience when I’m in that mode as well.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-20-2020, 01:12 AM

My true vintage J45, HB & SJ200 all came without pickups.

but I had a K&K put into the J45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion