The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Another Friday Shipping Video...

As I was reading Facebook this morning, a live video from Alistair at Emerald came up. I enjoyed watching it: so much variety! 12-strings, beautiful veneers, some spectacular finishing options, a cool comparison of two blue finishes with different CF treatment, some very cool doublenecks, and a surprise at the end. Definitely an interesting and entertaining look at what the folks at Emerald are shipping out today.

https://www.facebook.com/EmeraldGuit...0853360128430/
Old 02-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Another awesome batch. I like how Alistair hesitated at the end when talking about the resonator guitar. If he's looking for opinions/feedback I for one would love to see a resonator guitar in their model lineup. Wait a sec that would mean I would have to buy one...ok forget what I said.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:50 AM

That bright orange and vivid blue were really stunning - that seems like something they should do more of! I wonder if there's a significant impact on the sound.

Couldn't help but notice the X20 at 8:30. It's got an Anthem in it now and the fretboard looks perfect...someone's getting a great guitar!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Couldn't help but notice the X20 at 8:30. It's got an Anthem in it now and the fretboard looks perfect...someone's getting a great guitar!
I thought that looked familiar. That was formerly yours right?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 AM

Yep, that's the one. Alistair assured me on the phone that they could make it perfect, and it looks like they have!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Yep, that's the one. Alistair assured me on the phone that they could make it perfect, and it looks like they have!
Cool...and how about you, have you made a decision on what you're going to do yet?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Yeah, getting another; details are still in the works. I'll update that main thread once all is settled.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Guest 928

I am constantly amazed at the creativity demonstrated in Emerald guitars. Part of that creativity comes from Alistair, and part of his genius comes in listening to players and making various visions come true.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah, getting another; details are still in the works. I'll update that main thread once all is settled.
Awesome that's good to hear that you're giving them another chance. If you never checked out their latest veneer video I suggest that you give it a look. They have some crazy looking royal ebony in that lot.

EDIT: My bad I just checked and you were actually the creator of that thread and it looks like you settled on a veneer, so congrats!

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 02-15-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:34 PM

indeed................
Old 02-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

These Friday ship videos are always fun to watch. I must admit t getting a bit more interested in a possible Emerald in the future if I can put together the funds.

I would be interested probably in either an X20 or an X30 with one of the wood veneer tops and probably a green or amber back and sides. I would want a short scale with 1 7/8" nut and 2 5/16" saddle string spacing (like my Huss & Dalton). From what I understand, Emerald could do that without too much trouble.

So, it is good to see the variety of guitars coming out of Emerald. Unfortunately, the only way I could really know whether an X20 or X30 would be right for me, would be to hold them and see which fits best. Anyway, that is in the future if it happens.

Emerald seems to be on to a good thing with lots of satisfied customers. Good for them! They have invested some serious time and effort into their product line and they seem to have hit their stride in fine shape. I personally think it is a good thing for Emerald and us, that folks here are posting about the company and their products.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Is it just me or do these guys (Emerald) kick it up a notch or two every time I watch one of the shipping videos. WOW !
We are EXTREMELY lucky to have a manufacturer that listens to and works with customers to give us what we want. I think that is a huge key to their success.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Is it just me or do these guys (Emerald) kick it up a notch or two every time I watch one of the shipping videos. WOW !
We are EXTREMELY lucky to have a manufacturer that listens to and works with customers to give us what we want. I think that is a huge key to their success.
I was thinking the same. In this video alone they have addressed two options I meant to ask them about: The possibility of a more vibrant finish over a carbon fiber weave, and those Gotoh 510 locking tuners. The latter would be perfect in combination with a pinless bridge.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 02-15-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I'm besotted with my X20. I don't think I've ever owned another guitar which has been quite so inspirational (and that includes the 55-year old Martin that has been in my custody for 35 years of its life). The X20 lives in open D, which is where I spend most of my playing time these days.

I'm compelled to add another one to the collection. X20 Baritone? X20 7-string? After wandering down that path for a while - because I love the low-end register of these guitars - all of a sudden, now I'm thinking X7. It could sit in standard tuning for ever more, and just be that grab'n'go guitar.

Decisions, decisions. These weekly videos are... tantalizing
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-15-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Another awesome batch. I like how Alistair hesitated at the end when talking about the resonator guitar. If he's looking for opinions/feedback I for one would love to see a resonator guitar in their model lineup. Wait a sec that would mean I would have to buy one...ok forget what I said.
Haha!

I don't know how likely a production Emerald resonator is. I have no concept of what the reso market looks like...a niche of a niche or a high-end CF opportunity? (Hey, if Emerald can offer a harp guitar...)

But until/unless Emerald makes some resonator-specific molds, a resonator build requires deep mods and custom fabrication. I think that's where the hesitation comes in--be prepared to pay for something far outside of regular production! And have no doubt--Alistair is a master.

I was happy to fund this R&D experiment, and of course, it looks like Emerald absolutely nailed it. NGD forthcoming.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber