The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-30-2018, 01:42 PM

Default Trying to find my own personal style - Original music

Hi, here's a composition of mine. I try to find my own style making arrangements. I hope it works, even if there's still a long way to go.

I'd be grateful for any comment, good or bad, because I want to improve my music.

Old 06-30-2018, 02:51 PM

Absolutely unique and intriguing. Your composition, guitar playing and her voice had something fascinating for me. I would have loved though a warmer guitar sound. A little more jazzy probably. That would imho complement the voice better and would not harm your composition.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 07-01-2018, 01:27 AM

Enjoyed it. You two clearly created a Parisian vibe that is still unique. Would like to see more!

Cheers

Dave
Old 07-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I didn't listen to it. As an artist my question is "is it?". Your art is either fulfilling or it isn't. What other's may think doesn't matter if it fills the nebulous need within you.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-02-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Absolutely unique and intriguing. Your composition, guitar playing and her voice had something fascinating for me. I would have loved though a warmer guitar sound. A little more jazzy probably. That would imho complement the voice better and would not harm your composition.
Hartelijk bedankt Karel for your very nice and kind comment. What you say about the sound is interesting . I must say I hadn't thought about it myself. Somebody mixed it for me and it's my first experience. You might be right. I'll keep it in mind and try to improve it next time.
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbitterdave View Post
Enjoyed it. You two clearly created a Parisian vibe that is still unique. Would like to see more!

Cheers

Dave
Dave,
"Parisian vibe"! I like it and I'll remember it. Thank you so much!
Old 07-02-2018, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Reminds me of Sade, which is a good thing. I will echo that the guitar sounds just a bit harsh at points, softening the trebles might be a welcome touch. Otherwise really enjoyed!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-02-2018, 04:49 PM

I really enjoyed the performance, thanks for sharing. I'm sure you would be very captivating in person. So I loved the vocals, and I liked the acoustic arrangement. But, I think there's some room for the vocals and accompaniment to compliment each other better. Do you know what key your actually singing in, and what key the guitar is playing in? I would like to hear the guitar part transposed into a bit lower key (trying to match your voice) or maybe a third (or fifth) higher to compliment your singing voice. They weren't dissonant at all, just not the optimum arrangement. I hope we get to hear more from you.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I didn't listen to it. As an artist my question is "is it?". Your art is either fulfilling or it isn't. What other's may think doesn't matter if it fills the nebulous need within you.
Well, for a fulfilled artist like you that might be the case, but for orhers it often is an inspiring quest in which friends could be of help. I’d rather listen and comment - that’s what this forum is all about.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 07-03-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Reminds me of Sade, which is a good thing. I will echo that the guitar sounds just a bit harsh at points, softening the trebles might be a welcome touch. Otherwise really enjoyed!
Hi Mike,
I wouldn't have thought of Sade, but I see it as a compliment all the same. Thanks!
I will definitely try to improve the guitar sound in my next musical attempts. That's one of the reasons why I'm here. Thank you very much for the advice and for taking the time to listen.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I really enjoyed the performance, thanks for sharing. I'm sure you would be very captivating in person. So I loved the vocals, and I liked the acoustic arrangement. But, I think there's some room for the vocals and accompaniment to compliment each other better. Do you know what key your actually singing in, and what key the guitar is playing in? I would like to hear the guitar part transposed into a bit lower key (trying to match your voice) or maybe a third (or fifth) higher to compliment your singing voice. They weren't dissonant at all, just not the optimum arrangement. I hope we get to hear more from you.
Hi Jwelsy,

Try it in another key? That's an unexpected suggestion. And easy to try. I will check that possibility and see where it goes. Thank you very much.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Very cool, Zelig! I like the video work and the song is quite intriguing! I like the female voice, too. Very interesting guitar playing!

- Glenn
Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 AM

Thanks Glenn,

Much appreciated!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Very interesting really enjoyed it well done.

My only "If I were your producer" type question or suggestion would be (if you edited the video) is to keep it as is, for the most part ,with elements superimposed transparently on each other (because that is interesting )BUT is there a way to also perhaps periodically fade into completely opaquely you and guitar and then also completely her singing, for a few seconds then back to as is ?? In Final Cut Pro it is called "Key Frames" applied to the saturation percentage slider.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-16-2018, 09:31 AM

I totally get your point, KevWind. I must confess that I didn't really analyse the video. I thought transparency was nice and didn't go much further. If I should use that method again, I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind in order to make it more interesting alongside the whole video.

Thanks a lot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell