The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-18-2017, 04:43 PM

I used some of the weak spring exercisers (maybe they weren't weak enough) and it hurt my hands really badly for several months. Beware...

Diet would certainly be worth looking into. Sugar, wheat that has been treated with Roundup (all US wheat), various other food items can cause inflammation. Consider a plant based diet.

Lighter gauge strings, different picks, rest, warm water soaks, cbd pain cream - common sense stuff will hopefully help.

Best of luck...H
Old 12-18-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I've had the problem in both hands for about 4 years now. For me the best thing is continual stretching, naproxen (generic aleve) and PLAYING. Playing brings the biggest relief and the stretching and crunching seem to help keep things from getting worse. Don't forget to warm up before you play. As someone suggested, warm water helps get things moving. Don't worry about the callouses. Your body will figure things out.

Good luck.
Naproxin is an NSAID. Best used for short term use. Long term use can
lead to kidney damage. I quit Ibuprofen on a daily basis for the same reason.
It comes down to how often do you take it.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is a quick video that may help.

https://youtu.be/3QTC8GjBbSQ
Old 12-29-2017, 03:48 AM

Default PM me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Hi Guys,
Getting older (55) and starting to struggle somewhat with arthritis. It is only (currently) in my fretting hand, mainly in my first two joints (starting from my hand going forward) in my index finger. Makes it hard to change chords, what was always the most simple thing. Forget doing much more, like playing lead parts.

I tried some oral meds, but they are rough on the stomach. Working with some topical meds now.

Anyone got any experience and could offer help? I really enjoy playing, but my technique is really suffering and crisp, clear notes are hard to render. But mainly it starts to take the enjoyment out of my favorite pastime. It hurts to play.

Any advice would be appreciated.
PM me if you would like to know what natural medicine I use that is safe , none addictive and legal in my state and many more in the USA.

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-01-2018 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Removed comment on moderator action
Old 12-29-2017, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

First off... begin to tell your "story" about your hands in a way that reflects what YOU want to have happen... arthritis has become a knee-jerk diagnosis by many doctors, right along with "you're getting older", bursitis, et al...

Think about it... we use our hands and fingers EVERYDAY, thousands of times... but when was the last time someone told you they were doing hand/finger exercises? Not counting this site, I imagine that "never" would be the answer!

I just googled "hand/finger exercises" and came up with several Youtube vids on the subject... and I DO THEM!!! I also have a pair of those Chinese meditation/exercise balls, and have found them to be helpful in many ways - more than I even think they are, I'm guessing.

Don't buy any BS about arthritis, or rheumatism or "repetitive strain" nonsense... and RUN SCREAMING AWAY FROM ANY ONE who says "Oh, just get an operation... or take these drugs...".

WE were designed to move and use all our facilities, for the duration of our lives... your hands have many, many more years of excellent function left to perform!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-29-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Hi Guys,
Getting older (55) and starting to struggle somewhat with arthritis. It is only (currently) in my fretting hand, mainly in my first two joints (starting from my hand going forward) in my index finger. Makes it hard to change chords, what was always the most simple thing. Forget doing much more, like playing lead parts.

I tried some oral meds, but they are rough on the stomach. Working with some topical meds now.

Anyone got any experience and could offer help? I really enjoy playing, but my technique is really suffering and crisp, clear notes are hard to render. But mainly it starts to take the enjoyment out of my favorite pastime. It hurts to play.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I just warm my hand on my coffee cup in the morning before playing and it helps quite a bit. Eating lots of ginger helps reduce inflammation. I, too, have detuned and capoed to reduce strain at times.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 01-01-2018, 10:23 AM

my ring finger locks up sometimes. i find
playing more often helps. it's gotta be the best
exersize for a guitar player and makes you better
as a side effect.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:40 PM

Oh the joys of arthritis. I've been blessed (?) with rheumatoid arthritis for more than 20 years (that's the inflammatory autoimmune kind) and now good ol' osteoarthritis (the wear & tear kind) is starting to show up too. I've learned some things about living with these charming conditions:
1. Don't let it keep you from doing what you love. Adapt as needed -- different neck shape, string weight, etc., etc.
2. The placebo effect is real. If something seems to give you relief, doesn't cost much, and doesn't cause any harm, go with it for as long as it seems to help. Some people swear by copper bracelets and some people think they're snake oil. Hey, they don't cost much and don't hurt anyone, so why not?
3. Check in with your doctor regularly. They're coming out with new treatments all the time.
4. Warmth is your friend.
5. There are lots of slightly different NSAIDs -- aspirin, naproxen, ibuprofen, and many more. For some unknown reason, a favored NSAID might quit working for you after a while, and then you get to switch to another. Will it work for you? Will it give you a stomachache? The only way to know is trial & error. (This is why they call it "practicing" medicine.)
6. Keep your sunny side up.

Ibanez Artwood Vintage grand concert acoustic
La Patrie Motif parlor-size classical
Cordoba Mini M travel-size classical
Cordoba Guilele even smaller classical (so cute!)
and
Ohana SK20-S soprano ukelele
Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 PM

I'm with HR. truly a wonderful find.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
First off... begin to tell your "story" about your hands in a way that reflects what YOU want to have happen... arthritis has become a knee-jerk diagnosis by many doctors, right along with "you're getting older", bursitis, et al...

Think about it... we use our hands and fingers EVERYDAY, thousands of times... but when was the last time someone told you they were doing hand/finger exercises? Not counting this site, I imagine that "never" would be the answer!

I just googled "hand/finger exercises" and came up with several Youtube vids on the subject... and I DO THEM!!! I also have a pair of those Chinese meditation/exercise balls, and have found them to be helpful in many ways - more than I even think they are, I'm guessing.

Don't buy any BS about arthritis, or rheumatism or "repetitive strain" nonsense... and RUN SCREAMING AWAY FROM ANY ONE who says "Oh, just get an operation... or take these drugs...".

WE were designed to move and use all our facilities, for the duration of our lives... your hands have many, many more years of excellent function left to perform!

Wait, so you're saying that arthritis is BS?

And while we were designed to use the various parts of our bodies for the duration of our lives, there are things that can limit that (medical conditions, injuries, etc.).
Old 01-13-2018, 11:26 PM

I'll reiterate what Colchar mentioned. TURMERIC.

My GP suggested it and after a few months I've begun to notice a difference.

Less pain, and in some cases no pain in certain areas of my hand.

Worth a try, natural with no side effects and cheap !

But don't sue me if it doesn't work !!!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I have arthritis all over the place, and also have what seems to be a TFC tear in my picking hand .
I had a very bad TFCC injury to my right wrist from a work-related injury. It was bad enough that I probably would have needed surgery. If you don’t know about this already, do a search on the “wrist widget”. It saved me from surgery and an extensive lay-off from work.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 01-14-2018, 12:16 AM

I’ve had arthritis issues in my hands for years, and I’m in my mid-40s. It improved dramatically with major hand and forearm strengthening, glucosamine/msm supplements, and Blue Emu cream.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM

I have been dealing with it for a number of years. Got cortisone shots in the joints, took NSAIDs till my stomach gave out, then took prednisone. Took Opioids. The whole nine yards at on time or another. The worse was when the arthritis joined up with calcium in the joint. (PseudoGout). No amount of normal drugs could kill that pain. Fortunately colchicine is taking care of it.

So make sure you get X-rays often and look for calcium.

Good Luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write