The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Default Minimum Laptop Requirements Needed for Recording?

I am looking to get a new laptop to run "Studio One Artist" with my Presonus unit and my old laptop isn't up to the task. So I am looking for a decent used laptop to primarily use for recording purposes. What specs should I be looking at as a minimum? I am looking to stay under $500. What is minimum Ghtz
processor speed and min. hard drive space and min. RAM needed?

thanks
Old 07-01-2018, 02:53 PM

It depends on what you're going to record. How many tracks per song are you going to record? How many tracks at once are you going to record? And, are you going to use plug ins or virtual instruments?

I have a fairly inexpensive Dell laptop. It has a dual core processor and came with 4 gigs of RAM. I was able to add 4 more gigs. I have only recorded 2 tracks at a time and I use Reaper for the DAW. I also use Steven Slate Drums for drum software and my Dell handles everything just fine.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 07-01-2018, 08:10 PM

Just recording itself is not very taxing of processor and memory. A great many folks recorded whole bands with computers that far obsolete by today's standards.

Higher track counts can challenge some hard drive systems, but again, not the usual issue for the typical acoustic guitar with vocals recording.

What requires "more computer" is stuff like using the computer as an instrument itself ("virtual instruments") or as a real-time replacement for outboard effects and amplifiers. Many folks make a great deal of use of these features, and they're great, but others don't use them.

So there's no blanket way to answer your question of how much computer is enough.

If you're looking used, and you're looking to maximize value, I'd ask yourself if a laptop is actually a requirement. Used desktops can be a good value, particularly if you want to easily upgrade the hard drive space and speed. Some places specialize in used "off lease" business desktop systems that are usually pretty sturdy and long-lasting.

If convenient portability is crucial, and your DAW software choice is not the most important thing, some folks here report good results with an iPad and inexpensive software.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-02-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
It depends on what you're going to record. How many tracks per song are you going to record? How many tracks at once are you going to record? And, are you going to use plug ins or virtual instruments?

I have a fairly inexpensive Dell laptop. It has a dual core processor and came with 4 gigs of RAM. I was able to add 4 more gigs. I have only recorded 2 tracks at a time and I use Reaper for the DAW. I also use Steven Slate Drums for drum software and my Dell handles everything just fine.
What speed is the processor?

I'm probably going to record mostly acoustic guitar and vocals and mix in drums and bass sometimes and add effects where needed. Nothing too heavy though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD