The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-05-2022, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Low Profile, safe Mic Stand

I have three Atlas pro mic stands that work very well. One with a Latch lake boom. Unfortunately, I have never found a Low profile stand with a heavy base.

Not sure that I really need to use a low profile stand, but it is less mass in front of me. I decided to purchase and try out a Sandbag for one of my Low profile mic stands. These sandbags were designed to be used in the Pro Photographic industry.

If you have ever been worried about tipping over a low profile lightweight mic stand, this simple addition will make it tip proof. They can be purchased unfilled for around $30 dollars...and you fill it. Or you can purchase it filled with 25 pounds of sand sealed in an inner plastic bag for $50. Both include free shipping.

Nothing great...but I thought I would share this with you for those few who might find just such a need. AGF Recording have shared so many wonderful Ideas that have greatly improved my workflow.

Old 12-05-2022, 02:20 PM

Good ideas!

I like to use shorter stands and have 3 or 4 that I made by cutting off some of the length of the vertical column portion of regular stands. Many stands can be shortened with a fine tooth hacksaw if you cut off the un-threaded portion of the tube.

I have shorted mic stands and tri-pod music stands successfully. If you play or record when seated the standard height stands are awkward for me to use.

Shortened tripod stand at center:

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-05-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

That looks good, seems nicer than the separate sandbags I used to use. I've ended up with these, which work very well, one on each leg:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c399--Mis...?highlight=CW3

micstand_weights.jpg
Old 12-05-2022, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Gosh-darnit, Rudy4, every time you post a pic with that slant-top stand, you make me want to head to the woodshed and build one! One of these days, I'm gonna do it!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-05-2022, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That looks good, seems nicer than the separate sandbags I used to use. I've ended up with these, which work very well, one on each leg:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c399--Mis...?highlight=CW3

Attachment 84258
Very cool Doug! The sandbag has a strap on one side that makes it easy to pick up & move when needed. And on the Front side..you have a toggle lock. This lets you easily slide on and off the stand.

I may have to buy One of your counterweights for a boom arm in the future.

Questions:
1. A little hard to tell from the picture with a black stand, it looks like you may have another adapter low on the center pole? Or is this just the angle of the picture and it the Twist lock joint?

2 I forget, because it has been a few years since I have been to your home, but do you have hardwood floors in your treated room as shown in the picture? If so, do you feel that the wood floors offers an advantage for recording Acoustic Guitar as it is reflecting back the Higher Frequencies? This is one of the experiments I intent to conduct. I have a couple of laminated maple table slabs that can easily be placed under my feet.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:09 PM

I use regular photo sandbags with white playground sand inside plastic freezer bags to prevent leakage. I use them on mike stands and on a couple of other stands I put mixers on.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 12-05-2022, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
V
1. A little hard to tell from the picture with a black stand, it looks like you may have another adapter low on the center pole? Or is this just the angle of the picture and it the Twist lock joint?
That's just the twist lock thing. I do put them on the boom on the boom with my Brauners.

Quote:
2 I forget, because it has been a few years since I have been to your home, but do you have hardwood floors in your treated room as shown in the picture? If so, do you feel that the wood floors offers an advantage for recording Acoustic Guitar as it is reflecting back the Higher Frequencies? This is one of the experiments I intent to conduct. I have a couple of laminated maple table slabs that can easily be placed under my feet.
Well, that was the theory when I built the room. Dead most places, ceiling completely treated. Wood floor, tho I do have it partially covered with a rug in other places. Hard to compare to know if it's good or bad, but it seems to work for me. You do want *some* reflections, I think. Otherwise, wer'd just record outside.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Gosh-darnit, Rudy4, every time you post a pic with that slant-top stand, you make me want to head to the woodshed and build one! One of these days, I'm gonna do it!
Aw, go ahead! This one has been modified 3 or 4 times to meet various requirements. Here's a closer view to detail how it's made:

Old 12-06-2022, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I only stick SDCs (at the end of a short boom) on something like this, but it's plenty sturdy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (66.7 KB, 28 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD