The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-28-2022, 07:19 PM

Default Slotting a saddle

Nuts are slotted - why not slot the saddle also ? doesn't have to be as deep as the nut but I wonder if it would enhance the connection between string and saddle/bridge/guitar.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:30 PM

R - It has been done. Look at a close up of Norman Blake’s guitars and you will see that his saddles are slotted. However, it’s not necessary. Nuts are slotted to create a precise string height, but if you had a saddle like nut (as is the case with a zero fret), you would still get a good result.

And note that the other reason for a nut is to maintain string spacing. At the saddle end, string spacing is determined by the bridge pin locations.

So to summarize, it’s likely a needless complication to the system.

Best,

Rick
Old 11-28-2022, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

I slot the saddle for wider string spacing when wanted on guitars with wide enough necks and so far it’s working out for me. Norman Blake doing this for his preferred string spacing at the bridge (see screenshot of him playing in a video) inspired me to give it a whirl. I own a ‘97 Seagull Artist Custom Shop Model that I loved except for the string spacing at the nut and bridge. I carved a new bone nut with wider string spacing than what originally was on it, but wasn’t sure how to go about doing the same with the cramped to me 2 1/8” spacing at the bridge. A luthier friend of mine, Lynn Dudenbostel, told me to bring it by and he did what you see in the other two photos. It was then increased to an acceptable 2 1/4”. This was done about 2 years ago and the tone still sounds great with no issues at all. Using Lynn’s guidance with my Seagull and Norman Blake’s inspiration I’ve now done this myself to 3 other guitars that I liked a lot except for the bridge string spacing. They’re also working well and feeling much better than originally.
IMG_1669697612.625989.jpgIMG_1669697628.901741.jpgIMG_1669697646.612613.jpg
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)

Last edited by Brushwood; 11-28-2022 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:09 PM

Instruments with tailpieces are commonly slotted at the bridge, banjos, mandolins.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:23 AM

As Fathand has stated, those with tailpieces commonly are, I have a "no-name" early arch-top with an adjustable bridge, saddle is slotted. I think maybe it's a brand offered by Sears or Montgomery Ward, late 50's to early 60's era. kb
Old 12-05-2022, 11:01 PM

I recently started slotting saddles. I always just assumed that strings broke clean over the flat front edge of the saddle. They don't. When I started building ukuleles they often had the smallest bit of a buzz. The usual troubleshooting did not clear it up until I looked closely at the leading edge of the saddle and found the tiniest gap. In the macro view, the strings were breaking clean; in the micro view, they were not. Reflattening the saddle face helped, but the gap and the buzz, though diminished, remained. I used a needle file to additionally ramp the saddle under the strings, finally eliminating the tiny gap and the buzz. It was a small thing, but it made all the difference in the sound of my ukuleles. I suspect this is in effect in guitars but perhaps the longer string diminished or masks the effect? Whatever the case, such small details add up and I now subtly ramp the string over the saddle on all my builds.

Fred
Old 12-06-2022, 05:33 AM

FWIW - I had a really nice chat with Bob Colosi about this and he felt that overall, slotting the saddle was a bad idea. Over his career, Bob probably has created more guitar saddles than all of the AGF users combined! BTW, he’s the greatest resource and a really genuine person to talk to.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Frank Ford seems very much against slotting saddles on flat top guitars, feeling that it contributes to string breakage. Though I suppose that will show up as an issue more for some players than others depending on their right hand style.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair