The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-23-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Help me pick a Compressor Plug in before the Black Friday sales are over

My Goal is to purchase a compressor for Voice and Acoustic Guitar during the Black Friday super sales.

I already have two hardware compressors...My Velox stereo Optical compressor that I will use for tracking of Guitars and vocals. It is a relatively Transparent comp with a very long knee. ( I also have a DBX 160X that I brought brand new in the 80's and have not plugged it in since then. Need to get that up and going as well. But I will save that discussion for another thread...)

Possible reasons Why I want a plug in compressor: Final smoothing- Character-Color-Heft-3D= after tracking compression. Downloading and testing is not an option for me at this time, for several reasons of which I will not get into now. I need to go on recommendations. Some of the more favored Plugs ins are only on sale for a very short period. FabFilter for instance is only on till November 28th.

Here are the more expensive Compressors under consideration. UAD plugs in are out, as I do not own any of their hardware and do not want to go to a paid yearly Subscription.

1. FabFilter Pro-C 2 = Consistently comes up in reviews as a top preformer.
"hyper-flexible, clean-sounding compressor not based on a classic hardware unit, It’s jam-packed with modern features, a beautiful graphical user interface and 5 different compression styles that emulate different compressor types" On sale for $127

Why this Company interests me:
The Claims are that this compressor can do all kinds of work. Owning and loving the FabFilter Pro R reverb...I can not help but think that Fabfilter must have done a great job with this one too.
But do I really want a compressor for further clean - transparent use? Or do I want character...that bigger than life 3D sound? This is where the conflict occurs. While transparency is so very important to retain dynamics... Every bit as important is heft. I would naturally think that two might be opposing and impossible to get together. However my recent purchase of True Iron says different. Dynamics and Heft are achieved.

2. Softube Tube-Tech CL 1B
"CL 1B is silky smooth and a nice mellower alternative to the numerous in-your-face dynamics processors listed previously. When I’m looking for a warm, somewhat subtle and musical compressor, I’ll very often reach for the CL 1B. Most refreshing about this plugin is that it usually takes very little time to dial in the exact sound I’m going for. With a few quick turns of the chunky, black (graphical) threshold, attack, release and ratio knobs I can dial in a transparent and forgiving compression sound."

I am Totally Guilty of Marketing hype & the huge discount savings that they are offering on the plug in. The Hardware CL1B Tube Tech comes so very highly recommended. I have heard quick demo using voice and it indeed sounded smooth and full without degrading the original content. And I have heard that the UAD LA-2A(another tube plug in) is an excellent for gentle smoothing on acoustic guitar. So since I can not purchase UAD...this might be a good option.
This is by far the most expensive plug in under consideration. Normally $299 and is half off...But with an extra 10% discount code I can get this for $135.
Who doesn't like a deal? This is by far the best deal. But, is it really any better than other lesser priced tube type plug in compressors on the market?

+other tube type compressor plug ins that are highly rated are:
* KAZROG True Dynamics....normally only $49 on sale for $39
* Produce like a pro recommends
Waves PuigChild & Waves SSL G Bus both of which are only $29

I have not experimented enough to know what it is that I really need. Want and Need are often not the same. My Gut tells me to buy a Tube based unit. Because I love Heft-Saturation. But again I also love Dynamics. The unfortunately truth is you usually have to own the different types of units to truly figure out what is right for you. What we think we need...doesn't always turn out to what we actually need in the real world. Yet, if I can make a good decision from your recommendations then It will certainly save on the pocket book. Unfortunately I had to own lesser quality mics first, before I realized what high end mics added to the pot.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:59 PM

Waves will make you upgrade and all of that but its not that bad. If you want a stand-alone then fab filter is the winner. Every pro uses fab filter stuff and you cant go wrong. There is plugin alliance too with some deals but at some point you become overloaded with compressors.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

If you're trying to save a few bucks but still give yourself some options, here's my suggestion:
Grab the Kazrog True Dynamics - I listened to the two reviews available and I like what I heard from this one. It imparts some character so it's not super transparent in that regard but it's good character and sometimes you want that.
I'd also grab the Purafied VU plugin. It has emulations of three version of the 1176 FET comps and it has an emulation of the LA3A solid state opto compressor.

That would give you 8 compressor choices... the 4 vari-mu comps from the Kazrog along with the 3 FET comps and 1 solid state opto comp from the Purafied. And if you haven't looked at them, the reviews on the Purafied are rock sold across the board.

You'd be into it for just $90, cheaper than the FabFilter and the TubeTech
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-23-2022, 03:38 PM
Eric Skye

I don't know how interesting this is but FabFilter's Pro-C 2 is my very favorite plugin period. On the downside it's not that simple, it's pretty feature laden. Also, if you're looking for "character" or "color," it's probably not for you (but for like $25 you can pickup Klanghelm's MJUC have have all the color you ever need) Pro C is clean city. But if you're wanting to play around with mid/side processing, side-chain filtering, etc, in mastering mode, it's pretty deep, and intuitive after a little study

Last edited by min7b5; 11-24-2022 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I don't know how interesting this is but FabFilter's Pro-C 2 is my very favorite plugin period. On the downside it's not that simple, it's pretty feature laden. Also, if you're looking for "character" of "color," it's probably not for you (but for like $25 you can pickup Klanghelm's MJUC have have all the color you ever need) Pro C is clean city. But if you're wanting to play around with mid/side processing, side-chain filtering, etc, in mastering mode, it's pretty deep, and intuitive after a little study
Always interested in what you have to say min7b5! You have introduced a very important factor....that it is not that simple. Half of my day is often spent learning. I have so much more to learn just operating my DAW, Audient Mixer & my Virtual instruments. Complication is not what I need right now.

It also looks like the reduced the standard selling price. I bought my Pro R for $199 earlier this year. I see now they reduced it to $169 selling price. So...not a heavy loss if I decide to buy it later. It is not the big savings that I would be saving with Tube Tech.
Your notation of difficulty, certainly makes me think twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
If you're trying to save a few bucks but still give yourself some options, here's my suggestion:
Grab the Kazrog True Dynamics - I listened to the two reviews available and I like what I heard from this one. It imparts some character so it's not super transparent in that regard but it's good character and sometimes you want that.
I'd also grab the Purafied VU plugin. It has emulations of three version of the 1176 FET comps and it has an emulation of the LA3A solid state opto compressor.

That would give you 8 compressor choices... the 4 vari-mu comps from the Kazrog along with the 3 FET comps and 1 solid state opto comp from the Purafied. And if you haven't looked at them, the reviews on the Purafied are rock sold across the board.

You'd be into it for just $90, cheaper than the FabFilter and the TubeTech
Actually, the biggest mistake I ever made was selling my original 70's 1176 in the early 80's. A young engineer literally harped on me to sell it and buy the brand new design of the DBX 160X. Claiming that the 1176 was inferior technology compared to the new DBX. The second I turned on the DBX, I knew there was no comparison to my old 1176. It was not that the DBX was not good...It just did not have that same tried and true sound that I was use to. It seemed to work so well for my voice. My memories of an 1176 was that it worked so well for my then dynamic voice.

So this is a very good suggestion. And Purafied is also on sale for half off at $50. I think this is a no brainier regardless. I have wanted a 76 style in my arsenal. Just like I wanted a Reverb Plate in my arsenal. It is a sound of which I am familiar with. Will it be the compressor plug in I use the most is Not the issue. The 1176 worked for me. Even if later I find out that another type of compressor is better for my needs...it is worth it to have just to compare against.

As for the Kazrog...from what I heard I liked this too. But I have also heard good things about the Klanghelm's MJUC. I already own their meter plug in. It actually does a few things that others seemingly don't do. I could even wait on buying either of these...as the Kazrog is only $10 off..and the MJUC is so inexpensive to begin with.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:22 PM

None of those. [emoji6]

If you’re looking for color, you have to exclude the FabFilter & SSL. They’re both very neutral (by design).

I would check out:
SPL Iron
ACME Opticom
Purple Audio MC77

Each one adds their own flavor & are quite different from one another.

The SPL is a vari-mu compressor with selectable rectifiers that change the characteristics & ballistics of the compressor. Think Fairchild on steroids.

The ACME is an optical compressor that has a lot of vibe. It’s also very simple with minimal controls.

The Purple is everything great about an 1176 only bigger & better.

These are all emulations of hardware units available through PluginAlliance.

I’ll also mention the McDSP 6030, which is basically a digital version of s a single slot 500 series lunchbox with a bunch of different compressor modules you can use. Probably a best of all worlds option, if you want flexibility.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 11-24-2022, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Default RETHINKING what I Need?

Great suggestions by everybody! And Happy Turkey day!

I am rethinking my needs. I am specifically thinking about compressor for my dynamic acoustic Guitar. I already have a saturation plug that hits the saturation-tape sound I want. So maybe CLEAN is just what I need for the final touch. (I will still buy another compressor for voice). And you guys are so, so right...if you log in to FabFilter you get even a GREATER deal... If I buy two plug ins...I get even better....

If clean is ultimately better for my needs, then I will just have to deal with the more difficult interface learning.

The Question: PRO C versus PRO MB
On my hardware Velox I have a sidechain in the low end. This really opens up the sound as it leaves the fullness of the bass alone. So, so happy I have this.

It would seem that PRO MB is basically sidechaining compressor unit. you choose what you want to process.
Quote from their website:
"Up to six processing bands, freely placed anywhere in the spectrum
Bands can be easily snapped together to form a traditional crossover system"

From this quote from their website I would think you could make it act just like a PRO C?

Is there something the PRO C can do that the MB can not? Or is it just about being a more difficult interface to maneuver because it has 6 bands you can choose?
Old 11-24-2022, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I personally use Fabfilter Pro C for my compression needs

Last edited by BoneDigger; 11-24-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

This variable tube compressor gets amazing reviews on Gearspace and it's only $25

https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/MJUC.html

I plan to pick it up this weekend.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 11-26-2022, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

If your looking for Guitar compression Me I would first get your hardware DBX into the chain and check it out .

But then you will possibly mis this years Black Friday

Now for overall smoothing 2 bus this is the one I used for years before I got my Hardware 3U was the Plugin Alliance Elysia Alpha

And it's on a hefty sale discount from $249 down to $29.99

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...ompressor.html

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-26-2022, 09:54 AM

Follow Roger McGuinn's advice and get a JangleBox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EowSs1mjAec
Old 11-26-2022, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

What does a compressor bring to the table that clean playing (solo instrumental) and the right mic placement don't have? Just curious, thanks.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
What does a compressor bring to the table that clean playing (solo instrumental) and the right mic placement don't have? Just curious, thanks.
The main purpose is to reduce the dynamic range so that listeners don't have to ride the volume knob, raising it for quieter bits and lowering it for the louder bits. In addition to that, various compressors can impart a particular desirable character on a track.

Multiband compressors (a different animal to a great degree) allow the mixer to compress selected frequency ranges, thereby affecting a part of the mix while not affecting the rest.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-26-2022, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

In general As per Jim said a compressor can be used to compress the dynamic range (thus the name) to even it out or move instruments or elements back in the sound field which is probably more useful in multi-instrument productions

BUT it can also be used to move an instrument or vocal a bit more forward in the sound field which can be useful in sparse arrangements Or perhaps even a solo instrument ? But the solo guys can likely offer a more informed opinion on that .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-26-2022, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The main purpose is to reduce the dynamic range so that listeners don't have to ride the volume knob, raising it for quieter bits and lowering it for the louder bits. In addition to that, various compressors can impart a particular desirable character on a track.

Multiband compressors (a different animal to a great degree) allow the mixer to compress selected frequency ranges, thereby affecting a part of the mix while not affecting the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
In general As per Jim said a compressor can be used to compress the dynamic range (thus the name) to even it out or move instruments or elements back in the sound field which is probably more useful in multi-instrument productions

BUT it can also be used to move an instrument or vocal a bit more forward in the sound field which can be useful in sparse arrangements Or perhaps even a solo instrument ? But the solo guys can likely offer a more informed opinion on that .
Compressors are especially beneficial if you play using a large dynamic range. Think powerful vocals. Where one might jump from very soft to nearly screaming.

Many acoustic guitar players play very evenly and compression might not be top on the list of things that effect the sound. However even for those who do play softly, Fingerstyle...compression can add the finishing touch by smoothing those occasional protruding notes. For someone like me who play with a heavy hand jumping from Fingerstyle to heavy strumming= it is Paramount. For someone like you TBman, who is very accomplished player and plays evenly= it will be of less importance.

Originally, compression was invented for Radio stations usage. Radio Stations survived on their paid advertisers. The Further the signal could reach out, the more people who would want to advertise on that station. By....Leveling the signal...reducing the dynamic range, the radio signal could reach out further. Before compression...at far distances..the lows became to low. Squishing the signal...meant the signal could travel further.

Quickly it was realized that Compression had many benefits to taming solo instruments such as voice. There is a term often used to describe Compressors & or Tube Mics effects=" Large than Life Sound"

In the old days of Tape and Transformers...they had a compression like effect. If you ran your signal hot you would not only get a mild compression but also a saturation. In the Digital age of DAWS...those Tape & Transformer mild compression characteristics are excluded. With Digital there is not the same noise problems with had in the analog age. The Trade off was the loss of tape saturation and a little tiny bit of compression.

Many of us are trying to get that warmth that we got in the old Tape days buy reintroducing tape plug in's and compression. Regardless...even in the old days we used compression for it's ability to reduce the Dynamic signal.

Most compressors have but a few dials and are easy to operated. Still, each dial, each increment is so very important to how it effects the sound. As Jim stated, it is so easy to overdo.

I just purchased this morning the FabFilter Pro C compressor Plug in. I am going to have to spend many hours learning how to operate it. Yesterday I purchased a Simple Compressor called True Dynamics. Only $27 dollars with BF discounts. That one has very simple controls. Regardless of simple of complicated, lots of time experimenting is needed.

In the end...you will find that most all of us use compression in one way or another.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD