The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-12-2022, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

If you go further with this and check out Rick’s subsequent thread on this sub-forum about his new Schoeps mics, note he bought the configuration with with the super-cardioid capsule which seemed to be a significant improvement over his M-300’s that were cardioid pattern mics in his specific recording environment (so reader beware YMMV). In Anton’s post that Eric references above, Anton was comparing his M-300’s to the Schoeps Mk 4 capsule (the cardioid) and I could hear very little difference. To make it even more interesting, I agree that in Doug’s comparison above (of the Schoeps versus the Gefell), there seems to be a bit more clarity and focus with the M-300s versus the Mk 4 capsule.

I don’t have a great room for recording and the Schoeps with the super-cardioid Mk 41 capsule is very tempting.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 11-18-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Just a quick aside...have you heard the DPA 4011?...it always sounds the most honest to me for that type of mic. The Schoeps are wonderful as well of course!

Chiming in because I, too, am still haunted by the E22s that I sold. I really wish I hadn't. I think they take a bit to learn to position, but they might be my favorite (solid state) acoustic guitar mic. Compared to the great SD mics, I think they have a special thing. Big sounding. Dense, but detailed. For acou guitar, I think I'd prefer it to the usual SD suspects in most cases.

Schoeps are cool, and they have name recognition if you're doing hired mobile recording for orchestras, etc. You have capsule options ther, too, right? For a live rig, I'd probably want to keep that option open. Also, for some reason, and I could have dreamt it, but I remember the E22s to have an interesting pattern...almost hyper card, though I don't think they're marketed that way. They also needed a lot of gain. Neither of those things are bad of course, but they might be considerations? Dunno! It's a wonderful problem you have solve there! :-)
Kelly, your description of the Josephson E22s is as you have described, and my recollection of their sound on acoustic guitars still haunts me. I did choose the Schoeps mics after all, and I am very happy with them. Even though I could not tell the difference between the Gefell M300 and the Schoeps pairs in a video recently, I took the advice of others who assured me I would notice a difference, and it turned out to be true. Gosh, wouldn’t it be cool to have both the Schoeps and E22s?
Old 11-14-2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
If you go further with this and check out Rick’s subsequent thread on this sub-forum about his new Schoeps mics, note he bought the configuration with with the super-cardioid capsule which seemed to be a significant improvement over his M-300’s that were cardioid pattern mics in his specific recording environment (so reader beware YMMV). In Anton’s post that Eric references above, Anton was comparing his M-300’s to the Schoeps Mk 41 capsule (the cardioid) and I could hear very little difference. To make it even more interesting, I agree that in Doug’s comparison above (of the Schoeps versus the Gefell), there seems to be a bit more clarity and focus with the M-300s versus the Mk 41 capsule.

I don’t have a great room for recording and the Schoeps with the super-cardioid capsule is very tempting.
Interesting to note Bob, to my ears at least, here at home through my signal chain, the Schoeps definitely sound much more clear, flatter, and detailed than the Gefells.

Rick
Old 11-16-2022, 07:30 AM

I also think I have a slight preference for the Schoeps in Doug's clip. The Schoeps are enough of a golden standard that it's hard to go wrong with them. I have the MK4s, but when I have the cash I'm thinking about picking up a pair of MK41 capsules.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-16-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
I also think I have a slight preference for the Schoeps in Doug's clip. The Schoeps are enough of a golden standard that it's hard to go wrong with them. I have the MK4s, but when I have the cash I'm thinking about picking up a pair of MK41 capsules.
Definitely the mk41’s, especially if your room isn’t treated.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Interesting to note Bob, to my ears at least, here at home through my signal chain, the Schoeps definitely sound much more clear, flatter, and detailed than the Gefells.

Rick
Got my capsule numbers mixed up but I corrected in my post above, Mk 4 being the cardioid and Mk 41 being the super cardioid. Sorry for any confusion.

Bottom line for me is that I think the Gefell M-300’s are pretty close to the Mk 4’s but I think for those of us with less than ideal recording environments, the Mk 41’s could be worthy of consideration based on what I am hearing with Rick’s results.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-18-2022, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Got my capsule numbers mixed up but I corrected in my post above, Mk 4 being the cardioid and Mk 41 being the super cardioid. Sorry for any confusion.

Bottom line for me is that I think the Gefell M-300’s are pretty close to the Mk 4’s but I think for those of us with less than ideal recording environments, the Mk 41’s could be worthy of consideration based on what I am hearing with Rick’s results.
The Gefell M310 has hypercardioid capsules. I would like to hear those compared with the Schoeps MK41.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD