The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-05-2022, 09:58 PM

Default Recommendations wanted for good transcription service

Hey folks I'm looking to hire someone to transcribe 3 of the pieces from this wonderful solo concert album by Ralph Towner. There are several published books of his music but they all focus on his classical guitar music and the 3 that I'm interested in paying someone to transcribe are for the 12 string steel guitar: spirit lake, zoetrope, and timeless.

They are fairly complicated and sophisticated and I focus my free time on playing/practicing, and don't have the skill needed to transcribe these.

I reached out to Ralph's record company and his publisher to ask about buying transcriptions and never got a reply so I figured I'd ask here case someone can recommend somebody really good who could transcribe these.

Also, what would be a fair price to pay for each one, assuming that they'd be rea9stime consuming.

https://www.amazon.com/Solo-Concert-...s%2C101&sr=8-1

Thanks
Old 12-06-2022, 03:41 PM

There are transcription services advertising on the web, you tell them what you want they give you a quote.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:36 PM

If anyone here in these forms has used one that they recommend Please let me know thanks
Old 12-06-2022, 05:34 PM

Check your messages. (No problem if you're not interested! )
Old 12-09-2022, 03:59 AM

I've used Tunescribers, they're pretty good. Their rates seem to work out at about $30 per minute of music (although that was a while ago).

I've also used another service I didn't like where you input your budget and they send you back quotes from individual subcontractors who make bids. It seemed to me they just quoted my maximum budget back to me. (Can't recall the name of this service).
Old 12-09-2022, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

I’ve used PaidTabs once.
I got the tabs for a fairly complicated but short arrangement and paid 40$.
The model is as described by JC.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:58 PM

I've had good luck with fiverr.com. There's a lot of people offering transcription services on there. Last one I got was $30 for a 90 second piece and the tabs were perfect.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:53 PM

Thanks everyone appreciate it
Old 12-09-2022, 06:03 PM

Jonpr, who has responded to this thread, is excellent. He's transcribed many difficult/complex fingerstyle and classical songs for me at a very reasonable price from both video and just audio track. Highly recommend

Simon Fay Model One-Swiss Spruce/BRW (2016)
Kenny Hill Performance Classical-Spruce/EIRW (2011)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL5555 View Post
Jonpr, who has responded to this thread, is excellent. He's transcribed many difficult/complex fingerstyle and classical songs for me at a very reasonable price from both video and just audio track. Highly recommend

Yeah he and I have connected and are proceeding. Thank you for replying with your endorsement!
Old 12-10-2022, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks for this information.
Good to know.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks! As Ben says, I am working on one of his requests at this moment. When I stop typing this and get back to it, that is...
Old 12-14-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Thanks! As Ben says, I am working on one of his requests at this moment. When I stop typing this and get back to it, that is...
Jon is doing a fantastic job and I heartily endorse him to anyone looking for transcriptions of sophisticated material

Love this community for putting me in contact with him!
Old 12-14-2022, 10:50 AM

Jon from Playlikethegreats has really nice transcriptions on his site, so I see that the quality is there. The price ($100 minimum) is on the steep side and I've never used his service, but I know they're accurate, detailed, and clean based on what he's got available on his site.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
Jon from Playlikethegreats has really nice transcriptions on his site, so I see that the quality is there. The price ($100 minimum) is on the steep side and I've never used his service, but I know they're accurate, detailed, and clean based on what he's got available on his site.
In case of potential confusion, let me just say that's not me (I'm a Jon too).

I agree they look good (and the audio file is a useful extra), but I also agree £100 seems steep as a minimum price. I wonder what he charged for the examples shown there?

I also see that the transcriptions are not exclusive to the buyer. That's reasonable, but presumably he charges for all further copies sold too? Same price as the commission?
The terms and conditions mention a "uniform £5 price", which is cheap (especially if that includes all the formats offered), but how would that make you feel if you'd paid $100+ to have a song transcribed, and then realise that everyone after you can get it for $5?

No criticism of the guy intended - good luck to him! I've come up against similar pricing issues in my work (how to value what I'm offering? By page, by hour, by number of bars or notes?? How to deal with subsequent copies when the work is already done?).

Last edited by JonPR; 12-14-2022 at 12:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write