The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
I look at the Guild model designations like this (I may be mistaken):

If it's a US made Guild 6 string flat-top acoustic guitar, it will have one or two letters followed by one or two numbers (i.e. DV4, F50, JF55, M20 etc.).

If it's not US made, it will have one, two or three letters followed by three numbers (i.e. F150, M240, GAD D150 etc.)

If it's a US made Guild 12 string flat-top acoustic guitar, it will have one or two letters followed by two or three numbers (i.e. JF30-12*, F212, F512 etc.).

If it's not US made, it will have one, two or three letters followed by four numbers (F2512, F1212, GAD1512 etc.)

*I'm disregarding the "-12" appendage on 12 string versions of 6 string models like the D25-12, JF55-12 etc.
Stomp:

Oh, if only life were that easy...You forgot to add the caveat disclaimer--subject to change at any time without notice. Anything to make it easier for the potential customer to understand the price structure and qualities of the product, right?...I have another gripe--solid rosewood back doesn't mean one-piece. I had a Gibson J-45 (roughly 1965-70) when I was thirteen years old. With a one-piece solid mahogany back. Needless to say, I had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what I had...Now it's gone. I'm not even gonna tell you what me and my dad paid for it...You probably wouldn't believe me anyway...

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-24-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
I don't know about Guild factory specs, but Martin's are 6/64"-7/64" on the bass side from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string... high E is 4/64" - 5/64". So your guitar is within those specs.

If you are buying a high-end guitar from a store, you might expect that they will set it up to your preferred specs, but you got yours for a very low price from an on-line merchant, and they probably aren't making much on it at all. If they were to pay a tech to set it up, there would go any profit margin...
Stormin:

The reason the price was so low was because they were making room in their warehouse for the "new improved" model, with a tonewood whose name is unfamiliar to me. I REALLY don't understand 21st century business practices. They CUT the price on the better guitar! And RAISED the price on the arguably inferior model. Mine is made with solid Indian rosewood. I still think I got a steal!

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-24-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorArtist View Post
Stomp:

Oh, if only life were that easy...You forgot to add the caveat disclaimer--subject to change at any time without notice. Anything to make it easier for the potential customer to understand the price structure and qualities of the product, right?...I have another gripe--solid rosewood back doesn't mean one-piece. I had a Gibson J-45 (roughly 1965-70) when I was thirteen years old. With a one-piece solid mahogany back. Needless to say, I had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what I had...Now it's gone. I'm not even gonna tell you what me and my dad paid for it...You probably wouldn't believe me anyway...
That naming structure though has been around for years and has never changed so far. Also, solid wood always means it's solid and not laminate. Very few guitars are made with one piece backs... even years ago. I'm not an expert on Gibsons, but are you sure it was a one piece back?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-25-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
That naming structure though has been around for years and has never changed so far. Also, solid wood always means it's solid and not laminate. Very few guitars are made with one piece backs... even years ago. I'm not an expert on Gibsons, but are you sure it was a one piece back?
Rob J.:

I had that guitar until I was 24. Instead of going to class in college, I practiced guitar all day long. I can't say for an absolute certainty that it was a one-piece back, but if it wasn't, it was VERY WELL MATCHED. I remember looking closely at the wood grain on that mahogany back, and I would swear that I never saw a seam. I looked pretty hard. It might well have been a 1960-65 Gibson that had not been played that frequently. When my dad and I drove out to look at it around 1970 or earlier, I couldn't believe how nice a condition it was in. Or how low the price was. The fact that it was a Gibson acoustic didn't impress me. At the time, the only guitars that DID impress me were the Les Paul and the Telecaster. I was just buying the acoustic steel-string so I could upgrade from a nylon classical (Ariana) to play with my Youth Church group. I don't even remember exactly how old I was-- I'm guessing between 10 and 13. But for sure, no older than 13. We paid $300 for it...I chipped in $150 from my paper route, and my dad matched me.

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-25-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Rob J.:

I had that guitar until I was 24. Instead of going to class in college, I practiced guitar all day long. I can't say for an absolute certainty that it was a one-piece back, but if it wasn't, it was VERY WELL MATCHED. I remember looking closely at the wood grain on that mahogany back, and I would swear that I never saw a seam. I looked pretty hard. It might well have been a 1960-65 Gibson that had not been played that frequently. When my dad and I drove out to look at it around 1970 or earlier, I couldn't believe how nice a condition it was in. Or how low the price was. The fact that it was a Gibson acoustic didn't impress me. At the time, the only guitars that DID impress me were the Les Paul and the Telecaster. I was just buying the acoustic steel-string so I could upgrade from a nylon classical (Ariana) to play with my Youth Church group. I don't even remember exactly how old I was-- I'm guessing between 10 and 13. But for sure, no older than 13. We paid $300 for it...I chipped in $150 from my paper route, and my dad matched me.
Well when you split the wood for bookmatching, the grain will line up and, if glued correctly, the seam is practically invisible. All mine are two piece backs and I never notice a seam either.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-25-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Well when you split the wood for bookmatching, the grain will line up and, if glued correctly, the seam is practically invisible. All mine are two piece backs and I never notice a seam either.
That must have been what it was, but I would swear the two sides weren't symmetrical. You must be right, 'cuz I know my eye is untrained. And I didn't know this until just now. Plus, the evidence is gone...
Old 04-25-2018, 05:47 PM

Question

Since I mentioned I got onboard the F150CE express And that was a bust I’d post here instead of a new post .

Ok so the guitars look fit and finish was great and not unexpected. The top wood was beautiful awesome silking the rosewood back was just as pretty slightly wider grain then tight.

Ok why I returned well and yes I’m picky !

Action was .085 low E well within specs but the saddle was low , to low . Straight edge put the neck angle about a 1/16th of inch below the bridge. Now that’s not bad but properly set it should dead on if one is anal , I happen to be .

Since it wasn’t far off why the low saddle ? Well it was misshaped by its looks someone kind of needed to check thier X axis y axis on their Cnc figures or it was a bad hand job on the belt sander .

The bridge was thicker on the low E and thinner on the high E and side and that thickness was likewise from tail block side of the bridge to the sound hole side being the lowest point .

Now add in the beginnings of bellying into the picture. So with that info we may think we solved the issue but nope , see fixing that would pull the bridge back level and raising it some but now we add a correctly shaped bridge and it would add even more height , that’s good right ? nope ! Now the neck angle is even more my best guess by 3/16ths of an inch .

So all that killed it . there’s one other issue and that was the issue of the high E falling of the edge of the fretboard to easily .

Good news is , though it did not have the expected punch of Guild USA jumbo it’s tone and overtones were were quite nice and once it opened up and I’m sure it would it would have been even better.

The seller did not offer a replacement model which is kind of weird but I might give it another try.

Anyway sorry for derailing the thread .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------

Last edited by Riakstonic; 04-25-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Since I mentioned I got onboard the F150CE express And that was a bust I’d post here instead of a new post .

Ok so the guitars look fit and finish was great and not unexpected. The top wood was beautiful awesome silking the rosewood back was just as pretty slightly wider grain then tight.

Ok why I returned well and yes I’m picky !

Action was .085 low E well within specs but the saddle was low , to low . Straight edge put the neck angle about a 1/16th of inch below the bridge. Now that’s not bad but properly set it should dead on if one is anal , I happen to be .

Since it wasn’t far off why the low saddle ? Well it was misshaped by its looks someone kind of needed to check thier X axis y axis on their Cnc figures or it was a bad hand job on the belt sander .

The bridge was thicker on the low E and thinner on the high E and side and that thickness was likewise from tail block side of the bridge to the sound hole side being the lowest point .

Now add in the beginnings of bellying into the picture. So with that info we may think we solved the issue but nope , see fixing that would pull the bridge back level and raising it some but now we add a correctly shaped bridge and it would add even more height , that’s good right ? nope ! Now the neck angle is even more my best guess by 3/16ths of an inch .

So all that killed it . there’s one other issue and that was the issue of the high E falling of the edge of the fretboard to easily .

Good news is , though it did not have the expected punch of Guild USA jumbo it’s tone and overtones were were quite nice and once it opened up and I’m sure it would it would have been even better.

The seller did not offer a replacement model which is kind of weird but I might give it another try.

Anyway sorry for derailing the thread .
Riakstonic:

No problem...Sorry you had a bad experience with your new guitar.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Stormin:

The reason the price was so low was because they were making room in their warehouse for the "new improved" model, with a tonewood whose name is unfamiliar to me. I REALLY don't understand 21st century business practices. They CUT the price on the better guitar! And RAISED the price on the arguably inferior model. Mine is made with solid Indian rosewood. I still think I got a steal!
My point wasn't so much whether or not you got a good deal, but rather that you felt you had to post a warning about what you believed to be a problem with the guitar, when in fact it was set up within normal specs.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
My point wasn't so much whether or not you got a good deal, but rather that you felt you had to post a warning about what you believed to be a problem with the guitar, when in fact it was set up within normal specs.
Yes, too bad the thread title can't be changed to something more positive.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Yes, too bad the thread title can't be changed to something more positive.

+1

Not to mention the degree of digression in the thread.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Riakstonic:

No problem...Sorry you had a bad experience with your new guitar.
Ahh it is what it is . I’m not mad I’ve returned at least 8 guitars now within the last few months all costing much more so it goes to show you not even higher end guitars are perfect .

I did contact them about why they did not offer a replacement and or a possible discount on a new one vrs the open box one .

Have yet to hear back , in the mean time it’s on it’s way back to them .
—————
So just to touch back on the original statement.
The op’s guitar sounds like it was within specs maybe there was something else wrong , pictures would really would have helped this topic along .

My guitar was at .085 it did look high not sure why . I put a new saddle on my D55 and action is at .105 and I have no issues playing it.

I’d like to see if the Op can post pics or was it returned I forget but then we could figure it out . ��

Lmao your the Op thought your name looked familiar haha ! Dude what happened with guitar ? Lol

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-26-2018, 01:14 PM

Default Who said, "I've got blisters on my fingers!"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Ahh it is what it is . I’m not mad I’ve returned at least 8 guitars now within the last few months all costing much more so it goes to show you not even higher end guitars are perfect .

I did contact them about why they did not offer a replacement and or a possible discount on a new one vrs the open box one .

Have yet to hear back , in the mean time it’s on it’s way back to them .
—————
So just to touch back on the original statement.
The op’s guitar sounds like it was within specs maybe there was something else wrong , pictures would really would have helped this topic along .

My guitar was at .085 it did look high not sure why . I put a new saddle on my D55 and action is at .105 and I have no issues playing it.

I’d like to see if the Op can post pics or was it returned I forget but then we could figure it out . ��

Lmao your the Op thought your name looked familiar haha ! Dude what happened with guitar ? Lol
Riakstonic:

No, I still have it. It's still pretty hard for me to play, but for now I'm going to blame my fingers. I would post some photos, but I don't know how. When I go to Advanced Reply, I click on the image icon, and a window comes up asking me for a URL (web address). I don't know how to upload files from my Desktop folder. I hope I don't have to upload jpegs to the Internet to get an http, and then type in the address to post a picture in Advanced Reply.

But the MAIN thing is playability. I know my fingers are soft, but it's still pretty hard to play chords. I can only play for about 20 minutes a day, and now I think I'm getting a blister on my third finger.

If my fingers don't develop calluses, I'm going to try to switch to a set of D'Addario 1152s and see if that helps.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Stormin:

If THAT was normal specs, I need to consider getting a different brand of guitar. The string were REALLY hard to press. Now they're only a little bit hard.

I can't go back and change the name of the thread (can I?), I just wanted people to know there was a trade-off for getting such a good price. One thread I was reading at the time I started my thread was from a guy who needed a guitar for a gig that was ready to play straight of the box. I know my fingers are weak, but under no circumstances would I consider this guitar ready to play for me straight out of the box. The repairman at the music store had no problem playing scales on the old set-up, but I wanted to play clean, clear chords because the guitar sounds so NICE! I can play a D chord or a C or an E, but the fifth string on a G chord, I'm having REAL trouble with. To play it cleanly, I have to press the high G with my pinky finger, and play the two bass notes with my first and second fingers. Maybe it's just a matter of time. I've forgotten a LOT when it comes to moving my fingers around the fretboard!
Old 04-26-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Riakstonic:

No, I still have it. It's still pretty hard for me to play, but for now I'm going to blame my fingers. I would post some photos, but I don't know how. When I go to Advanced Reply, I click on the image icon, and a window comes up asking me for a URL (web address). I don't know how to upload files from my Desktop folder. I hope I don't have to upload jpegs to the Internet to get an http, and then type in the address to post a picture in Advanced Reply.

But the MAIN thing is playability. I know my fingers are soft, but it's still pretty hard to play chords. I can only play for about 20 minutes a day, and now I think I'm getting a blister on my third finger.

If my fingers don't develop calluses, I'm going to try to switch to a set of D'Addario 1152s and see if that helps.
Yes, you have to upload to something like Flickr.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion