The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I agree. I was talking about the truck, "tongue in cheek", of course.
Of course!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Seems like Guild and Sam Ash deserve an apology.
Frank:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Guild, 'cuz they say they're backlogged, and that guitar must have sat in Sam Ash's Tampa warehouse for a LONG time. Point is, I'm pretty sure no one at Sam Ash even took the guitar out of its shipping box to check it out. But, I got a good price from them, and and the fix was quick and easy.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorArtist View Post
Yes, it's a Westerly F-150. It's a Mini Jumbo. When I think of Jumbos, I see a Gibson SJ-200, played by the likes of Emmylou Harris or Dolly Parton, or George Harrison.
Thanks.

Well, it's a different type of Jumbo, but it's still a Jumbo. A mini or small jumbo has different dimensions.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-21-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I just bought a brand new Guild F-150 Jumbo acoustic steel string from Sam Ash Online, and I got a ridiculous price. On a $1400 (MSRP) guitar, I only paid $650. And now I know why. Because this guitar left the factory without the strings being adjusted. The action is like a Dobro, and I don't play slide guitar. It's really not THAT bad, but the strings are set pretty high, as if the guy at the Guild factory who files down the nuts and saddles to make the guitar playable was out that day. But I felt I should post a warning on AGF. It's really just a minor oversight, just a simple adjustment which I could fix myself, but it's something SOMEONE should have caught before the guitar got to me. Out of the box, this guitar is UNPLAYABLE! And I'm pretty sure that no one at the Sam Ash Company took this guitar out of the original shipping box as it came from the Guild factory to inspect or play it.

So, I contacted the Guild Company regarding this matter, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'm not a luthier, but I know a little bit about guitars, and I'm pretty sure that this a <$100 fix. At this point, I'm not going to nit-pick about the action, so it shouldn't be THAT expensive. I just want the guitar to be playable. I can worry about whether I'm a strummer or a picker later on. So my dream of running away to Nashville is going to be delayed a week or two, but I WILL say one thing: MY apartment smells soooo SWEET, with the scent of freshly-cut Mahogany filling my nose.
Almost got one myself! Glad I didn't...

-----------------------------------------
Guild M120e
Alvarez MD75S
Epiphone Ltd Ed. Les Paul Florentine
Fender Telecaster
Washburn Tahoe WD21S
Old 04-21-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadra View Post

Why? If you read this thread you’d see there was absolutely nothing wrong with this guitar.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Frank:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Guild, 'cuz they say they're backlogged, and that guitar must have sat in Sam Ash's Tampa warehouse for a LONG time. Point is, I'm pretty sure no one at Sam Ash even took the guitar out of its shipping box to check it out. But, I got a good price from them, and and the fix was quick and easy.
You may well be right about Sam Ash - I have never dealt with them. On the other hand, they are a high volume dealer, and skimping on things like taking instruments out of their shipping boxes and eyeballing them is probably one of the reasons they can offer prices as low as they did in this case.

As for Guild, I myself would not feel they owed me any sort of explanation or apology for shipping out a guitar that ended up on my doorstep needing five dollars worth of setup work (for those who have not read the entire thread, the $5 amount is from post # 22). I am pretty sure that a very large percentage, perhaps a majority, of posters on this forum regard paying for a setup on a new guitar from a high volume dealer as an entirely expected routine matter.

It looks at this point as if you have a really nice guitar that you like a lot and got a great deal on. So play on! And don't worry about barre chords - they're just for showoffs anyway ...
Old 04-21-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Thanks.

Well, it's a different type of Jumbo, but it's still a Jumbo. A mini or small jumbo has different dimensions.
It’s a jumbo . The new USA F55 has a 17.25 lower bout that’s actually a jumbo XL . The body length is a tad shorter then the F150 . Body depth is just a tad off between the two . F150 lower bout depth 4” lower bout 4.5” . The F55 upper bout 3.75 lower bout 4.75 . So the the F150 is not a mini jumbo by any means.

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-21-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
It’s a jumbo . The new USA F55 has a 17.25 lower bout that’s actually a jumbo XL . The body length is a tad shorter then the F150 . Body depth is just a tad off between the two . F150 lower bout depth 4” lower bout 4.5” . The F55 upper bout 3.75 lower bout 4.75 . So the the F150 is not a mini jumbo by any means.
Exactly. I have an older GAD F150 and it is definitely not a mini Jumbo.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadra View Post
Seadra:

When you get a basement price, you're bound to give up SOMETHING. I probably could have fixed the minor problem myself, 'cuz it comes with an Allen key. The repairman told me you want the neck slightly bowed TOWARD the strings, to make it easier to play. The guitar might very well have been set up when it left the Guild factory in Westerly, RI. I think it just sat in Sam Ash's Tampa warehouse for a long time. The fix was ridiculously easy. I would not let such a minor adjustment affect your decision. I highly recommend the Guild F-150 Jumbo guitar. I STOLE this guitar! Solid Indian rosewood sides and back, and solid Sitka spruce top. Rosewood neck, ebony fretboard and bridge, enclosed tuners, and polyurethane (thick and hard!) finish. I checked with Sam Ash yesterday, and there's only 3 left. The ONLY thing I didn't like was the NuBone (high-density plastic) nut and saddle. If it's any consolation, the NuBone saddle is supposed to resonate BETTER in the lowest register than bone (according to the people that make it). This guitar SINGS! I highly recommend!

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-22-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:54 AM

I'll bet a lot of guitars get sold because they have not been set up properly. Yours required a $5.00 truss rod adjustment and it has gone from "UNPLAYABLE" to "This guitar SINGS!" in less than 3 days. I know I have sold a number of guitars that didn't sound right that might have only needed a proper set up.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:30 AM

Default Guild F-150 Warning!

Just as likely is the guitar just came off the line (they aren’t made in Rhode Island any more) and was setup pristinely at the factory and did not sit in a warehouse for years. Then during shipping through multiple time zones and climates, the neck moved a bit needing 1/4 a turn of the truss rod to remove some extra relief.

They are on sale to make some space for new models. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing1208 View Post
Just as likely is the guitar just came off the line (they aren’t made in Rhode Island any more) and was setup pristinely at the factory and did not sit in a warehouse for years. Then during shipping through multiple time zones and climates, the neck moved a bit needing 1/4 a turn of the truss rod to remove some extra relief.

Yeah, pretty much this... ^
Old 04-22-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I'll bet a lot of guitars get sold because they have not been set up properly. Yours required a $5.00 truss rod adjustment and it has gone from "UNPLAYABLE" to "This guitar SINGS!" in less than 3 days. I know I have sold a number of guitars that didn't sound right that might have only needed a proper set up.
George:

Yeah, experience is the best teacher. When I sighted down the fretboard, it looked perfectly straight to me. Pete, the repairman at Western Hills Music (Cincinnati), told me you don't want it straight. You want it slightly bowed toward the strings. Took all of five minutes! I just assumed the worst. I got off REALLY easy! Lucky me! It doesn't buzz, and I'm waiting for my fingers to get stronger. I DO have to put in a plug for Sweetwater (not a sponsor). When you buy a $300 guitar or more, they have a 55-point inspection, and somebody actually sits down and PLAYS your guitar to test the action. I've never bought from Sweetwater, but I thought I'd pass it along. I haven't checked their prices. But MOST good music stores,like AGF's sponsors, check the playability BEFORE the guitar is given to the customer. I suspected I would be giving up SOMETHING to get such a low price from Sam Ash. Just lucky for me that it was such an easy fix. For a couple of hours I was kinda panicked. Sometimes a little knowledge is a GOOD thing!
Old 04-22-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing1208 View Post

Little Wing:

Even the Westerly's aren't made in Westerly any more??? That's sad.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:17 PM

Default Guild F-150 Warning!

Quote:
Little Wing:

Even the Westerly's aren't made in Westerly any more??? That's sad.

The Westerly Collection is made in China. Only the Guild USA series are made in the States (Southern California).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion