The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 11:47 AM

Default CNC

I'll admit to ignorance about the applied use of CNC on guitars. But having owned 4 different Eastman dreads, all with slightly differing neck sizes, I can only conclude they're not using them to ensure uniformity of dimensions. Maybe they're hand-carved after all. With a little fairy dust sprinkled on top.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
I'll admit to ignorance about the applied use of CNC on guitars. But having owned 4 different Eastman dreads, all with slightly differing neck sizes, I can only conclude they're not using them to ensure uniformity of dimensions. Maybe they're hand-carved after all. With a little fairy dust sprinkled on top.
There are rumors...

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-28-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMFIST View Post
Wouldn't mind a Traynor myself. I see Canadian instruments as American. Canada is kind of likie the U.S.'s hat, right?
It's called a tuque
Old 03-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMFIST View Post
Wouldn't mind a Traynor myself. I see Canadian instruments as American. Canada is kind of likie the U.S.'s hat, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
It's called a tuque
Good one!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:51 PM

Default Not Just "For The Money"

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstang66 View Post
I thought I'd start another opinion post on Eastman Guitars.
So the question is, in general, do you think Eastman acoustics are:
a) just another Chinese made guitar?
b) pretty good guitars for the money
c) great guitars for the money
d) very good guitars at 2 times what they cost

Sure, big name brands may be better made, but do we literally benefit from a the higher build quality? I play many many guitars guitars each year. The best guitar I've played is a Guild D-55, but my Eastmans come a close second. Eastmans to me sound close to Collings, with chiming beautiful voices. And very different than Gibson, Martin or Taylor.

As you can see from my signature, I am an Eastman fan. Wonderful guitars.
I have played guitar for 40+ years and have owned many fine instruments, Martins, Taylor's, etc. IMHO Eastman guitars are as good as any other maker's. Some say that Eastmans are very close in tone to Collings guitars. I would add that their overall quality is close as well. There are NO CNC machines in their workshop, so every guitar really is HAND- MADE! The top-of-the-line Eastmans can go well over $1000 in cost but if you bought a similar guitar from Martin or Collings the cost would exceed $3500 and might go much higher. So I feel that by any standard Eastmans are great guitars, not just "for the money" but great instruments, period.

BTW I'm told that Eastman sources their woods from the same people as Collings guitars!

I currently own the following:

E10OM
E10D (great projection for bluegrass)
E8OM
E8D (same as an E20D but with a Sitka top)
AJ816CE

I find that I will play one as my favorite for a time (maybe a few weeks) and then suddenly switch to another as my favorite. It also depends on the music genre.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ditto on the post immediately above. I think almost everyone. who plays an Eastman and gives it a chance will be more than impressed. These are artisan guitars made the old-school way. My slope dread E-10SS is a lifetime guitar. I'll eventually be getting their top of the line OM-40.

Hope this helps,

scott memmer
Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 PM

Eastman archtop guitars cost a lot more than $1000. The $3k 910ce I played was very impressive.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:32 AM

Default Archtops

You have a great point. I have never been an archtop player so I tend to overlook them. Sorry, no offense intended.

I think the point still holds that Eastman is a great guitar maker, regardless of price point.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:46 AM

Default Eastman? Yes!

I live in a remote area, so there is no music store close by to try out guitars. So I bought online...an Alvarez parlor (then sold it), a Breedlove parlor (pretty good guitar but the slotted headstock bothered me, then sold it), a Takamine parlor (pretty, but awful, then sold it) and a Fender Paramount PM-2 Deluxe (bought it online, clunky sound and then returned it to a Guitar Center store). During my trip to Eugene, Oregon to return the Fender, I stopped in McKenzie River Music to play guitars with the intent of buying one. I pulled an Eastman parlor off the wall and was immediately blown away by the sound it made. Beautiful. Wonderful workmanship, too. The slotted headstock bothered my left hand, so I tried out an Eastman E100SS-LTD with a standard headstock and bought it immediately. Eastman guitars are the real deal and an excellent value.
  • 2009 Martin D1
  • 2017 Eastman E20SS
  • 2017 Eastman E100ss-LTD
  • 1969 Mosrite Serenade (acoustic)
  • 2016 Gold Tone Banjo
  • 2018 Guild Jumbo Junior Acoustic Bass
  • 2017 Hadean U-Bass
  • Oscar Schmidt OU55CE Ukulele
Old 04-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I went to a high end guitar store yesterday with my Eastman 10OM for comparison. I played a few OM's from Bourgeois, Collings and Santa Cruz. I came home with my Eastman. Is it my "end all" guitar? No. I still would like a guitar with a thinner body that sounds great.
Love what you love. We all have different ears and tastes.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 04-27-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:54 AM

Default AC 822CE-FF

Quality is great, wood is outstanding, sound holds up to my other guitars. Better? I’d say different, but it’s the only fan fret I’ve played so have nothing to compare it to. Talk with Ted at LA Guitars.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, as folks are noting here, they ARE the real deal.

sm
Old 04-27-2018, 12:25 PM

New owner here of the E10SS and I have tried lots of different guitars.

Ran it by the Guitar Center salesman that sold me my first two guitars and he couldn't believe you could get that sound, playability and quality in a guitar for the cost. When you consider the Taylor 214ce DLX is more money.

Being extra anal I also brought it to a local luthier and asked to pay a for a guitar inspection and his opinion. He looked over the name said he wasn't familiar with the brand but noted the workmanship, bindings, finish, fretboard was beautiful, said it felt good, sounded really good. He broke out the mirror and inspected all inside said it was a very well made guitar. Asked what I paid for it and then said I bought very well then he saw the case and asked if that was included. He was impressed.

Needless to say I feel like they offer a very good value for the price.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:37 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmex03 View Post
New owner here of the E10SS and I have tried lots of different guitars.

Ran it by the Guitar Center salesman that sold me my first two guitars and he couldn't believe you could get that sound, playability and quality in a guitar for the cost. When you consider the Taylor 214ce DLX is more money.

Being extra anal I also brought it to a local luthier and asked to pay a for a guitar inspection and his opinion. He looked over the name said he wasn't familiar with the brand but noted the workmanship, bindings, finish, fretboard was beautiful, said it felt good, sounded really good. He broke out the mirror and inspected all inside said it was a very well made guitar. Asked what I paid for it and then said I bought very well then he saw the case and asked if that was included. He was impressed.

Needless to say I feel like they offer a very good value for the price.
And he is a luthier? Maybe that's all he does and doesn't spend any time or guitar forums.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:48 PM

He owns the shop that has been in my hometown for at least a decade. The guitar center salesman wasn't familiar with the brand either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion