The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 08:09 PM

Default "Are Eastmans A Good Value?"

I thought I'd start another opinion post on Eastman Guitars.
So the question is, in general, do you think Eastman acoustics are:
a) just another Chinese made guitar?
b) pretty good guitars for the money
c) great guitars for the money
d) very good guitars at 2 times what they cost

Sure, big name brands may be better made, but do we literally benefit from a the higher build quality? I play many many guitars guitars each year. The best guitar I've played is a Guild D-55, but my Eastmans come a close second. Eastmans to me sound close to Collings, with chiming beautiful voices. And very different than Gibson, Martin or Taylor.

As you can see from my signature, I am an Eastman fan. Wonderful guitars.

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-23-2018 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Promotion of other forums not permitted
Old 03-23-2018, 08:29 PM

As a big Eastman fan, I would have to go with "C" ... the build quality is one of the stronger aspects of the two Eastman guitars I own. I paid a little over $1,000 each brand new. But, if I were to spend $2,000 on a guitar, it probably would not be an Eastman.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 03-25-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 PM
Guest 1511

There are some pretty good sub-1k guitars: Taylor GS Minis, most Yamahas, most Breedloves; but the Eastmans are the creme de la creme in that price range. I played a whole bunch of sub-1k guitars today in fact and none of them were worth spending money on except a GS Mini I played. Even a Martin DRS2 that I played was pretty bleh, although heads above the other stuff I played.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 PM

I would say the answer is C, bordering on D. I think they compete sound-wise with the $2-4k range of Martins and Taylors for a fraction of the cost. In fact I'd put them up against the new $5k Taylor V-class guitars too. The reason I won't fully answer D is this:

They can be pretty flawed, and you are best off finding one in person and if you love it, buy it. To order one from the internet make sure there's a return policy or you trust the seller!

Also the machine-perfect build quality of the instrument is not that of even a 100 series Taylor. But it's still nice enough. After all they are hand-built.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

I will throw the first D vote in, as i have posted here in the past. I regretfully sold my E20D, but they are excellent guitars from both tonal and build perspectives. A few corners cut on irrelevant things like case and minor details. Awesome tone, but don’t try to shoe horn it as “Martin,” “Gibson,” or “Taylor;” It’s got its own tone thing going and it’s darn good.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-23-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I don't currently have an Eastman guitar but my first and last was an archtop - AR805e (which I really miss now!) If that guitar was typical of the built quality and tonality that they could produce in 2007, I'd say that they are close to the top of the class of hand-built small factory builders regardless of geography.

I have heard a number of their mandolins, and the build quality is fine, although I have yet to be impressed by the sound.

I can't speak of their flat-tops having only seen a few, but they seem to be responding to the market well and quickly.

I'd say category D as my first archtop in 2007 cost me under £1000, and I am currently considering buying another which would cost over £2000.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:30 AM

I have three Eastmans, an E6D, E6OM and E20ss slope. I am really impressed by the D and the OM but not so much by the slope. They all play well but the quality of the slope is not as good as the other two, I had to level the frets and change the nut. All told I think they are really good value for money, although I did not pay full price for the two E6 models. To get two Martins (d18 and 00018) would have cost me almost 4 times what I paid for the Eastmans or 3 times if I'd paid full retail price for the Eastmans. When I bought the E20ss I could have paid a little more and got a Gibson J45 which may have been a better option in the end. So I'll have to go for C. I have to add that I would expect resale value of the Esatmans would be relatively far less than Martin or Gibson.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:44 AM

My guitar isn’t the cheapest guitar Eastman sells but it is a 100 series. My luthier said that it sounds better than some $1000 guitars that he has setup. Great value! I vote C & D.
Epiphone 60’s tribute LP
Old 03-24-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstang66 View Post

Sure, big name brands may be better made, but do we literally benefit from a the higher build quality? I play many many guitars guitars each year. The best guitar I've played is a Guild D-55, but my Eastmans come a close second. Eastmans to me sound close to Collings, with chiming beautiful voices. And very different than Gibson, Martin or Taylor.

As you can see from my signature, I am an Eastman fan. Wonderful guitars.

I would fall into the C or D category. I have had a few Eastman guitars, and my current stable is a Martin D-18 and an Eastman E20OM.

My Eastman is equal to my Martin in quality and tone.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKing34 View Post
I would fall into the C or D category. I have had a few Eastman guitars, and my current stable is a Martin D-18 and an Eastman E20OM.

My Eastman is equal to my Martin in quality and tone.

One thing I love about my Eastman (and the others I have played) is how responsive these guitars are. It makes these guitars play so effortlessly, and I do not have to dig in as much.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:38 AM

Without a doubt they are outstanding value. I'd go for C as a default rating for the brand as a whole with some specific examples firmly in the D category. I'd put my E20P in the D category as i like the tone as much as my Collings and H&D.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-24-2018, 06:42 AM

I have a dim view of Chinese 'fakes' (there are tons of YT videos of fake Taylors and Martin D-45's out there....and some likely get sold as 'authentic')....which is a shame.

But if you're standing on your own branding and quality, I don't care where it's built - if it's a good guitar, it's a good guitar.

My E40-OM is a great guitar, so I'm going with c).

Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-24-2018, 06:44 AM

Compared with a lot of Martins I've played, I'd add d) as well.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-24-2018, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstang66 View Post
...snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
I would say the answer is C, bordering on D. ...snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespicker View Post
...snip... I vote C & D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKing34 View Post
I would fall into the C or D category. ...snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Without a doubt they are outstanding value. I'd go for C as a default rating for the brand as a whole with some specific examples firmly in the D category. ...snip...
I too would place my vote between C & D. Eastman is a great brand for value. I would say Eastman is my number 2 brand for overall value, behind only Alvarez.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 03-24-2018, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I don't currently have an Eastman guitar but my first and last was an archtop - AR805e (which I really miss now!) If that guitar was typical of the built quality and tonality that they could produce in 2007, I'd say that they are close to the top of the class of hand-built small factory builders regardless of geography.

I have heard a number of their mandolins, and the build quality is fine, although I have yet to be impressed by the sound.

I can't speak of their flat-tops having only seen a few, but they seem to be responding to the market well and quickly.

I'd say category D as my first archtop in 2007 cost me under £1000, and I am currently considering buying another which would cost over £2000.

I agree. I currently have another archtop, an oval-hole 804, styled after a Gibson L-4 from the 1920s. This is a very nice guitar. Good archtops can command very high prices and this one was a relative bargain. Quality of materials and construction are very good, especially at the price point these sold for (they've been discontinued). Here's a picture of the beautiful maple used on the back, and a full picture of the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eastman back small.jpg (263.6 KB, 702 views)
File Type: jpg Eastman front small.jpg (164.6 KB, 700 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion