The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 PM

Default Unusual Experiment- Part Deux

About a week and a half ago I started the thread which detailed some of my experience with mix-and-match bridge pins of various materials. I was comparing original ebony bridge pins with buffalo horn pins, but swapping them one at a time to hear how the different materials would affect the sounds on each string. I ultimately went back to the original ebony pins. All of this was done on my Taylor 814ceDLX with some testing on my Taylor 614ce.

Another forum member and I struck up a conversation in the PM section and he indicated that he had done some extensive testing in this regard himself [I'll let him decide if he wants to disclose his identity]. So he offers to send me a "selection" of different pins and I get some bone, black horn, African blackwood and zircote pins. He indicated how each would affect different tonalities. And as I tested them I found that his assessment was spot on. I knew right away that the pins that would brighten up the sound wouldn't work so well on my Taylors but I gave them a quick test and confirmed that. But there is one set that might be of interest...

As you may know, the difference between the 814ce and 814ceDLX functionally is in the adirondack bracing of the DLX. It makes the 814 more articulate, but at the same time it can introduce a stiffness in the sound. I always liked the bass response of the 814ce, but at times I found it could sound a little muddy (depending on the individual guitar). I longed for that bass with my DLX but didn't want to give up the cleanliness and articulation.

So as per his notes, I tried African Blackwood pins only in the 6th and 5th strings slots. When I played it, I wasn't quite sure what I was hearing. But I heard more bass sustain, but with a warmth that I hadn't experienced before. The Buffalo horn helped provide more overtones, but lacked the warmth that ebony provides. The African Blackwood is even more warm, provides more sustain than the ebony. After strumming a bit I wondered if I wasn't hearing what I was hoping for; a combination of 814ce and 814ce DLX. I wasn't sure I could trust my ears, so I put the ebony pins back in. Sure enough I was hearing a more articulate, but a bit stiffer sound. I can guess that this articulate stiffness is what turns people off with the 814ceDLX.

After a few minutes I revered to the African Blackwood pins, again only in slots 5 and 6 and again experienced a more pleasing sound than I'd experienced with this guitar before. The warmth and sustain does come at a cost of a bit of articulation loss, but I played some solo things that I like and while less articulate I didn't hear it as a problem. If I needed more articulation it was easy enough to adapt the sound with my fingering and picking technique.

I know some members think it's hooey or just don't care. That's ok. I only have to please myself, but wanted to share, especially for people who may be on the verge of giving up instruments that they want to love, but aren't quite there.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion