The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-24-2018, 06:18 AM

Default Replaced Elixirs with Pearse on Cargo

I have been using Elixir nano 80/20 HD Lights for several years now, on a GS Mini (no longer own that one) and Cargo. I have never loved the Elixirs but found they 1) hold up as well as advertised and 2) keep finger/string squeak down.

Due for a string change, I wanted to revisit uncoated strings and have heard many endorsements of John Pearse strings. My local shop had a set of Ph Bronze lights in stock and I am pleased. Balance seems, to my ear, improved, nicer sound overall, and an occasionally kinda screechy high E is mellowed out.

I get a little squeak but not nearly what I recall from other strings (whether a factor of these strings or changed technique I can not say)...anyway not to the point of annoyance. All that remains is to see how well they hold up.

All this is to suggest - try something new if you haven't for a while!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:05 AM

I really love Pearse strings on my Taylor 810, and had them on my Rainsong CO-DR1000 for awhille. I liked them better than the D'addarios that it came with, but I just recently tried some DR Rare strings, and the guitar really woke up!

+1 on trying new strings from time to time, even if you think you've nailed it down. Tastes change!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 AM

If I've learned anything, it's that every guitar has a type of strings (and gauge) that suits it best. This applies to picks as well...

Just recently, I put Elixirs on a guitar that had previously had Pearses...I was disappointed, as I thought it sounded a bit "dull."

Then for kicks, I tried a different pick, and all was good.

And in the grand scheme, strings/picks are pretty cheap to experiment with, so--experiment!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-24-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
If I've learned anything, it's that every guitar has a type of strings (and gauge) that suits it best. This applies to picks as well...

Just recently, I put Elixirs on a guitar that had previously had Pearses...I was disappointed, as I thought it sounded a bit "dull."

Then for kicks, I tried a different pick, and all was good.

And in the grand scheme, strings/picks are pretty cheap to experiment with, so--experiment!
Ya, so picks...I am just starting, after lo, these many years, to consider the lowly pick! My local store has little variety of "nicer" picks...but next time in I will try out a couple V-Picks and see what else I can find.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 PM

I have a Rainsong H-OM that came with medium Elixir strings. I changed to light Elixirs and it was a new guitar. My Taylor 414ce came with Elixir lights. Just put on JP lights and it changed the guitars voice. It lost the treble based sound and became more mellow - the change was better than I expected. I bought a set of JP mediums for a Martin D18e. Can’t stand the playability of the Martin strings.

As most posters say you need to try different strings to find which ones work for you.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber