The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-18-2020, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Top wrapping a Les Paul

I saw some videos on this and may give it a shot at some point, but anyone here top wrap your Les Paul? If so, why? Do you feel it gives better sustain? Better break angle? Or did you try it and decide it really didn't do anything at all?
Old 07-18-2020, 08:02 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I think the draw to top-wrapping has classically been used to drop apparent string tension in bends. When people talk about decking the LP tailpiece they are talking about doing it with a top-wrapped tailpiece because otherwise the strings would typically contact the back of the ABR-1 with a normally wrapped tailpiece. it's a funny cycle: you top wrap to drop apparent' bend tension and then you feel the need to deck the tailpiece to increase sustain because the top wrap has lessened break angle and sustain.

But here's the deal: You can accomplish the same slinky feel without top-wrapping by dropping your string gauge by a size. I've run .009s for years and have no desire to top-wrap.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-19-2020, 04:58 AM

Using a lighter tensioned string-Looses/DECREASES tone!+volume but you GAIN the 'elasticity of a lighter tension string.
To ''compensate'',...'RE-coup' the tonal/volume LOSS & still have the original TENSION as if..using a 'heavier' string gauge=Top wrap.
The Lessened 'Brake' angle GIVES the required 'Elasticity' sought yet the heavier string[s]maintain[s] the 'Firmness',the Tension felt by the fret fingers with the original tension string.
EG; 012's can be used INSTEAD of 09's etc.09's would have the typical tone/vol loss..+ the ''elasticity.''12's the firmness + fuller tone+Volume advantage etc.etc.
Top wrapping..the 12's now 'react' as if they were 09's...with no tone loss but now have the same 'elasticity' as if they were 9's.
LESSENING the brake angle DECREASES the string[s] tension.
suits those who string bend etc a lot!No real advantage if you don't.
Decking the [separate] tail piece supposedly assists the sustain.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:05 AM

Its a similar 'approach/concept' to dropping from standard pitch to E flat ala SRV etc.To gain the elasticity etc.yet maintaining the tone etc.
Top wrapping means you can still use Standard Pitch & heavy strings instead of Lighter gauge with it its obvious Tone/Vol Loss disadvantages.Better if you have a seperate tailpiece also.
Done it for yrs.Its not new!
Old 07-19-2020, 05:12 AM

Tuch explains it quite nicely.

I've played Les Pauls for years on end, but I've never done it.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:00 AM

I've never done it but I'll top wrap a Les Paul or SG on one of my string changes. Always wanted to try it. Billy Gibbons top wraps, as does Joe Bonamassa. There are other artists as well.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:58 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've never done it but I'll top wrap a Les Paul or SG on one of my string changes. Always wanted to try it. Billy Gibbons top wraps, as does Joe Bonamassa. There are other artists as well.
Wow! Gibbons uses .008s and top wraps. That would be slinky!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-19-2020, 06:43 PM

I'll sometimes top wrap stop tail/tune-o-matic type guitars.

One thing I thought I noticed when I did this first on a Les Paul style was a difference/change in the body resonance when playing lower volume/clean--there was more of it and I found it pleasing on that guitar. I'm aware that it's possible for people to "hear" things after a change that are due a supposition/expectation/faulty memory of the prior etc. -- so I could have been imagining things, but it seemed noticeable on that guitar.

I thought the resonance increase may have given the note's sustain/release a little gentler slope.

My theory was that that the stoptail bar couples to the body differently (more effectively) with a top wrap where the string tension is twisting it down against the studs than when it's going in direct from the back and the string tension is mostly pulling at more like right-angles to the vertical of the studs.

Could be strictly "lucky socks" mojo, and I don't top wrap every guitar with that setup, but I still do it on a couple. It's one of those things that one can try at the cost of a set of strings and the time to change them.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars