The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Even with the guitars I have owned for years my feelings about how good each one sounds varies constantly. One guitar can have a nice warm tone for single note (mixed in with some light chords) work but smudge up on some other chord melody music. Another guitar might have a nice overtone sustain that really comes across in some tunes but is a little harsh sounding in other tunes.
Whatever guitar I am playing for any length of time I will adapt my playing style to (and to some extent my ears adapt) so that it becomes the new norm.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-16-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Even with the guitars I have owned for years my feelings about how good each one sounds varies constantly. One guitar can have a nice warm tone for single note (mixed in with some light chords) work but smudge up on some other chord melody music. Another guitar might have a nice overtone sustain that really comes across in some tunes but is a little harsh sounding in other tunes.
Whatever guitar I am playing for any length of time I will adapt my playing style to (and to some extent my ears adapt) so that it becomes the new norm.
I have found this to be true as well. We get a lot of rain here in the spring. Humidity levels get high. I have to be careful not to take strings off prematurely. The humidity really effects how my guitars sounds from one week to the next.
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 04-16-2016, 04:11 PM

Isn't hearing like taste buds.... We all taste things differently.

Some like Chocolate and others Strawberry.... Some love black licorice and others can't stand it.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:28 PM

I'd be interested to see the OP's actual guitars and not the 'jokey' ones listed in his sig, you know the ones that are funny first time you read them, then not so much.

Having said that, just watch his clip of 'State Of The Union'.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_VtCqZN_xs Nice playing and a truly great (John Gorka like) voice.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 04-16-2016 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added link to great clip.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G7th-nick View Post
I was really interested in a quote from Wade in another thread where he's asked for advice on choosing a guitar..

and again:

I need to try this out but it makes a whole lot of sense!
Thanks, Wade.
I always pluck the G string. If it sounds at all dull or thuddy I know I could never get on with that guitar. I will try the D string test too.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Why get so hung up on "good tone" anyway? Tone is always secondary to performance, or at least should be.

It's just a fact that a skilled musician can make a mediocre instrument sound better than it should, and conversely, a mediocre musician can make a fine instrument sound like an infomercial cheapo.

I'd say it's 90% the player...and the other half the guitar.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Isn't hearing like taste buds.... We all taste things differently.

Some like Chocolate and others Strawberry.... Some love black licorice and others can't stand it.

Yep. And it's always interesting to see how appalled people are when someone doesn't share their taste. They can't just be good folks with different taste...they have to be oddballs with a tin ear.

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 04-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

I find tone perception is subjective day to day, moment to moment, to mood, etc.. I've had the experience of loving a guitar at a shop, then trying it again a few days later and being not so enamored.

Psychoacoustics is a strange thing...

I can tell you all I know, the where to go,
the what to do

You can try to run but you can't
hide from what's inside of you
Old 04-16-2016, 04:51 PM

As same model of guitars sound different, as do same models of humans. As Paul Simon put it "one mans ceiling is another man's floor".
Old 04-16-2016, 05:35 PM

Something I noticed about my main guitar which is new..I've had it about 3 weeks
Either my ers change after I start playing or as it warms up in temp and music it sounds fuller
The humidity is about 60% so I'm thinking that the warmth of my body dry it out some??
Well anyway my point is that if it has a natural wood finish against a gloss type finish I would think that the humidity in the room would be a consideration

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 04-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

On top of all the comments which have already been made here reinforcing how subjective acoustic guitar tone is, I'll add that the tone from a player's perspective vs. a listener's perspective is always different (sometimes considerably). So, as players, we do not hear what our listeners are hearing!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-16-2016, 05:51 PM

With the String test.... I need to listen to a Great guitar to give me an idea what to listen for...

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'd be interested to see the OP's actual guitars and not the 'jokey' ones listed in his sig, you know the ones that are funny first time you read them, then not so much.

Having said that, just watch his clip of 'State Of The Union'.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_VtCqZN_xs Nice playing and a truly great (John Gorka like) voice.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm more of singer/songwriter type than a composer, but I have fun doing it. I'm a poor boy. I have health issues, I'm on disability, and I only work part-time. The guitar in that video is a Cordoba Acero D10. I recently sold it to acquire a Martin DRS1 that I just fell in love with. I have another guitar that I will never part with. An Eastman AC322ce. So, those are my two guitars.

I work at Guitar Center, so I always have a lot of guitars to noodle on. Its nice getting to try out so many different guitars. Most of the ones I try just make me all that more appreciative of the guitars I already have. And through the years I've owned $3000 guitars and $300 guitars. Martins, Taylors, Alvarez, Washburn...the list goes on.
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 04-16-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMartyr View Post
This so so true. I picked up one of my guitars shortly before going to work the other day. I thought, man...this thing needs new strings! Later that night I picked it up again and thought, new strings? What was I thinking? This thing sounds great!
Here are two people who describe something that sounds impossible because to me, it is. I've never experienced what they're describing.

My tone preference ( I call it the tone in my head) stays consistent. My guitar always sounds killer because from the first chord I played on it until today, 5 yrs. later, it still is the " tone in my head ".

One strum with ANY guitar and I can tell if it's one I'll like. It never changes.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-16-2016, 08:50 PM

This isn't quite a fully scientific explanation but I think that when "testing" a guitar, treble sounds will be processed by the brain as clarity and projection, even if a treble heavy guitar isn't really what you want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion