The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
I am in the camp of having more guitars than I can play. I have a dedicated music room and I keep them all in there so there not in anyone's way.

I have thought about sell some of them, but I will always end up say why do I need to sell them. I enjoy having the availability to pick one of them up at any given time.

The only foreseeable reason I could see selling them is to fund another guitar purchase. Hummm I have been thinking about a 1937 D-28 Authentic.
What he said....
Old 07-25-2019, 03:41 PM

I have owned a lot of instruments over the years. I love them while I have them, but they are tools for me.

On the other hand, I'm never in much of a rush to sell any. As long as I have some place to store them they are fine lying around the house. I suppose some of that is silly, but as long as I don't need the money I don't care.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I have the first new guitar I acquired in 1977 that I won’t sell for sentimental reasons, but I’m not keeping others for sentimental reasons. Having said that, the first custom build I ordered/purchased would be hard to part with too. But it happens to be good enough, that I wouldn’t want to sell it.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

...I was ferociously into buying and selling instruments and related gear for about twenty years....but I recently curtailed my selling activity....not because I don’t have a lot of good stuff I should sell sell...I do...i’m not using it....

....it’s just that selling has become very bothersome...I hate dealing with low ballers and have met some real nasty people over the years...shipping has become crazy expensive.....plus I have gotten older and am no longer willing to go through the hassles associated with horse trading...i’d rather go for a hike or dig in my garden....

....I too have a select few guitars that have sentimental value and I simply won’t ever sell...anything of great value will likely go to a reputable dealer on consignment in the future.....or I will give it away to someone deserving...
Old 07-25-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Not a sentimental bone in my body, plus, I used to own a retail music store and was a dealer for all the biggies (in the days before the boutique stuff). I've owned or had pass through my hands just about every instrument you could possibly imagine but they've either been tools or a means to profit. I'm down to two acoustics and two homemade Telecasters and some of those could be going shortly as they're not earning any $$$. I don't play unless I'm gigging so if an instrument is not being used, it's superfluous. It would be hard to choose between the 000-18 and the Brook Torridge, though, but I can always build another Tele. I personally don't feel you can 'love' an inanimate object - you might like it because it serves the purpose for which it was designed and built but 'love'....I don't think so. Not much different than a pipe wrench or band saw - a tool to accomplish a particular job....no less, no more. YMMV

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion