The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2019, 03:25 PM

Default newbie: weird to play a 3/4 at age 17?

(probably just worrying too much but bear with me lmao)
okay so a few days ago i decided to pick up my old 3/4 sized guitar from when i had "lessons" (just a school thing) as a child. i’ve been teaching myself the ukulele for about a year and i thought now i could give the guitar a try after years of not touching it. since i’m only used to a tiny ukulele the guitar was quite overwhelming, especially at first. i’m slowly getting used to it, but somehow it feels weird to me not playing a full sized guitar at my age, almost embarrassing. they’re usually recommended for like 10y/o kids, but is it really so bad that i use one? i mean what are the downsides? i currently can’t afford a new guitar and i’m mostly just doing it for fun, but should i start saving money to get one appropriate for my age and size?
Old 07-24-2019, 03:36 PM

Hi there,

For what it's worth, Ed Sheeran seems to be doing just fine making a living while playing 3/4 sized guitars.

If it really bothers you, though, you can trek out to the nearest guitar shop and try playing as many different sizes as possible. That's the only way you'll know for sure.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:40 PM

If it's all you've got at the moment and it feels comfortable don't worry about it.
It might take a bit of adjustment to get used to a longer scale length if you decide to get a "full size" guitar.

Small guitars are very popular for all types of people. There are numerous "travel" guitars on the market that are often used for noodling on the sofa.

Taylor's GS Mini is the company's best seller.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

...fwiw...i’m 65 and I play my 3/4 size guitars as much or more than my larger guitars....it’s a personal choice that should extend to anyone regardless of age....when you feel like you want a larger guitar you should get one....work on playing what you have until then....at the end of the day it’s your playing that matters....
Old 07-24-2019, 03:44 PM

Relax. The important word is 'play'.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

mekala,

Relax, if the guitar fits and you can play it (more importantly, want to play it)
then just start learning. You're 17 and I'm 67 and just started learning 3 yrs ago. You've got me by 50 and in half a century, you won't care what you started with and no one else will either........

john
Old 07-24-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekala View Post
... i decided to pick up my old 3/4 sized guitar from when i had "lessons" (just a school thing) as a child... it feels weird to me not playing a full sized guitar at my age... is it really so bad that i use one? i mean what are the downsides? i currently can’t afford a new guitar... should i start saving money to get one appropriate for my age and size?
There is no "appropriate". I just discovered the joys of a little parlor guitar, which is not inappropriate for either my size (6'-1") or my age (77). Save your money for a guitar of high quality sound that plays easily. That could well be a small guitar.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:34 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Plenty of people play on 00 and parlor size guitars so don't worry about it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-24-2019, 04:34 PM

You might ask Sting if it's weird. He likes his Martin Size 5 "Terz" guitar, as does Marty Stuart.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-24-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
You might ask Sting if it's weird. He likes his Martin Size 5 "Terz" guitar, as does Marty Stuart.

[IMG][/IMG]
Marty Robbins too.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:10 PM

I am 70 and built myself a 3/4 a couple of years ago. It has a 12-3/4" lower bout and a 23-9/16 scale. Love this little guy.

Ed
Old 07-24-2019, 10:02 PM

I went to the store and only found full sized guitars and said the heck with it, I'll make my own then. Made a number of them from 22" to 24" scale and 0 sized on down.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:29 PM

I played my Little Martin for 1/2 hour today, in public even, and it was fun. I'm about 40 years older than you, sigh...

Last edited by joeld; 07-24-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekala View Post
they’re usually recommended for like 10y/o kids, but is it really so bad that i use one? i mean what are the downsides? i currently can’t afford a new guitar and i’m mostly just doing it for fun, but should i start saving money to get one appropriate for my age and size?
No if it is what you have and you enjoy it then keep at it, down the line though I would start looking at the tonal differences, for me a 3/4 sized guitar sounds a little thin even when people who are much better players than me play them, but maybe it's just the placebo affect. Down the line you may decide to look at a full size, but you can definitely roll with the 3/4 until and if you decide to upgrade.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 AM

This is simple. If a 3/4 size guitars works for you, then so be it. It only has to work for you.

Sometimes, there is too much goobly-gook over thinking and discussion about things. That's when one can be confused.

It matters not what others would or would not do. Don't be embarassed by the physical details of your guitar.

Play!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion