The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2019, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

If the seller can not take the time to respond, regardless of the amount and frequency of questions, then, what ever their reasoning, I take that as a red flag.

Perhaps it is because of my many years in the hospitality industry but it bothers me when a seller will not respond. Even if that response is “I will get back to you” or “I’m no longer interested in doing business with you” one should respond ASAP
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-25-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASir_ View Post
That’s true. But I had to ask questions because the seller didn’t put much info in the original listing, which I don’t understand. But the questions I asked were rather simple. Such as is the HSC is good condition and do all the latches work? Is there any additional damage to the guitar besides the ding you mentioned? How is the action? Simple questions like that. I never asked him to measure anything, just wanted to make sure the guitar was in good condition before I pulled the trigger.

Imo, sellers need to add all this info and be as detailed as possible in the description so they don’t have to answer the same question multiple times from potential buyers. I normally wouldn’t ask this many questions but the guitar was about a decade old- which means it’s even more important to verify.
You asked your questions then made an offer, and the offer was accepted. The next step is for you to make the purchase, not ask more questions. This generally indicates a tire kicker to the seller, and he rather not get caught up in that. I'm not saying that you are in this case, but that is the usual process.

As a seller you get hundreds of questions, and they try to weed out the ones that they feel are wasting their time. If you start asking questions after you have made an offer, and it's accepted that person usually doesn't go forward with the purchase. That's been my experience.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 07-25-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sylvia View Post
You asked your questions then made an offer, and the offer was accepted. The next step is for you to make the purchase, not ask more questions. This generally indicates a tire kicker to the seller, and he rather not get caught up in that. I'm not saying that you are in this case, but that is the usual process.

As a seller you get hundreds of questions, and they try to weed out the ones that they feel are wasting their time. If you start asking questions after you have made an offer, and it's accepted that person usually doesn't go forward with the purchase. That's been my experience.
Yes, he's putting the cart before the horse. The questions should have been asked first.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

As a seller if I agree to a price and then start getting additional questions about condition, etc. I would consider it an effort to lower the agreed to price and I wouldn't respond.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
As a seller if I agree to a price and then start getting additional questions about condition, etc. I would consider it an effort to lower the agreed to price and I wouldn't respond.
I can assure you that’s not the case here. After I called out the seller, he said that he was sorry and that he wasn’t feeling well. I did ask questions before the price but his answers were very vague so I had to send more questions, ask him to answer in more detail. I feel like you guys are really jumping to conclusions.
If he just answered the questions clearly, I would have bought it right then.

The convo went somewhat like this:

Me: *asks some questions. Also, if I chose to buy it, would you take $xxx?

Seller: gives a vague response. How about $xxx?

Me: That’s a fair price. I’ll think about it. *Sends more questions.

Seller: doesn’t respond

Me: (a day later) Hey man, I’m interested in the guitar and I’d appreciate it if you answer these questions. Thank you
Old 07-25-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I can assure you that’s not the case here. After I called out the seller, he said that he was sorry and that he wasn’t feeling well. I did ask questions before the price but his answers were very vague so I had to send more questions, ask him to answer in more detail. I feel like you guys are really jumping to conclusions.
If he just answered the questions clearly, I would have bought it right then.

Me: (a day later) Hey man, I’m interested in the guitar and I’d appreciate it if you answer these questions. Thank you
Ok- let's say the seller responded in a timely manner and you liked all the answers and decided to buy. How were you planning on proceeding with the transaction?
Old 07-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:

That would make me think the buyer was fishing for reasons to offer a lower price ("Oh, it has that?.../Oh, it doesn't have that?...In that case I really couldn't go any higher than $XX"). Which would make me think "Ah, forget this."
Old 07-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
Ok- let's say the seller responded in a timely manner and you liked all the answers and decided to buy. How were you planning on proceeding with the transaction?
I would tell him I’ll buy it and ask for his Paypal. Or he can send me a link to pay. After that, I’ll ask him to give me updates. Doesn’t get much simpler than that.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:21 AM

Getting "a vague response" to your original questions implies that he is hiding something.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I would tell him I’ll buy it and ask for his Paypal. Or he can send me a link to pay. After that, I’ll ask him to give me updates. Doesn’t get much simpler than that.
Clearly the whole process- from the backchannel offer, to the way you'd proceed in purchasing, circumvents Reverb's rules.

Perhaps it's time to learn how Reverb works and play by the rules. https://reverb.com/page/making-offers

Last edited by russchapman; 07-25-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Getting "a vague response" to your original questions implies that he is hiding something.
The OP is engaging in a backchannel buying process that is against Reverb rules. That's the problem here.

https://reverb.com/page/making-offers

Last edited by russchapman; 07-25-2019 at 10:46 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion