The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 06:32 PM
AGF Administrator

Default Interview with Doyle Dykes

https://youtu.be/-fhbJzEXTHY

Old 07-22-2019, 06:40 PM

I had the pleasure of meeting Doyle and hearing him in a vary small setting back when he was a Guild artist. Just an amazing player!
Old 07-22-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

That last Guild...the black D-55...what an incredible voice. WOW!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
That last Guild...the black D-55...what an incredible voice. WOW!
It's brand new model only two made available for $3900.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:49 AM

While Doyle was a Guild artist, Ren Ferguson created the DD6MC: an instrument made to Doyle’s specs. It’s a deep body guitar;the back and sides are an incredible piece of quilted maple. Besides its visual appeal, this guitar had amazing string separation. Strumming a chord, you could hear every note clearly.

I don’t believe that Guild made too many of these, maybe 50 at most. It’s on my ‘If I win the lottery list.’
Old 07-23-2019, 04:36 AM

Truly a virtuoso and a great guy. Love it.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:26 AM

Okay, you guys must know something that I don’t know: you’re talking about Doyle Dykes as a Guild artist endorser in the past tense. So is that video a few years old and he’s since moved on to working with some other guitar company?

whm
Old 07-23-2019, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
It's brand new model only two made available for $3900.
So the standard/regular D-55 doesn't sound like that?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Okay, you guys must know something that I don’t know: you’re talking about Doyle Dykes as a Guild artist endorser in the past tense. So is that video a few years old and he’s since moved on to working with some other guitar company?

whm
I also met Doyle when he was with Guild, in a small setting with 50 in attendance. But I think he's with Taylor now, Wade, or at least was for a while. I haven't checked lately, though.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner

Last edited by difalkner; 07-23-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:34 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
I also met Doyle when he was with Guild, in a small setting with 50 in attendance. But I think he's with Taylor now, Wade. I haven't checked in a while, though.

David
From his website:
"July 3, 2019

Here’s a video of me at Cream City Music featuring the Godin Doyle Dykes model Multiac guitar. People are asking me about these and I do know they will be available through the end of this year. It is a limited run and these are great guitars to have. For more information check the Godin site for dealers in your area. When these guitars run out they will not be available any longer. This also comes with the blessings of my current company Guild guitars as we are all guitar fans and love the opportunity to offer something uniquely special. Happy Picking!"

Doyle was with Taylor for decades, now with Guild (for about the last 5-6 years, I think).

Great player, great man!

Phil
Old 07-23-2019, 06:37 AM

I believe Doyle is with Jim Olson now. The Taylor gig was before the Guild gig. And I'm pretty sure, there was someone else in between Guild and Jim Olson. It almost sounds like trying to keep track of someone's multiple marriages. (Edit - as I was posting, RioRider figured it out - Godin)

David - you must have been up in New Hartford, CT for the Let's Meet Guild Fest (as was I)! By any chance, did you grow up in that area?
Old 07-23-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Doyle was with Guild before Fender sold them. Then he worked with Robert Godin and Lloyd Baggs on the limited edition Godin Multiac, which as referenced above is still available until the end of the year.

Doyle is with Guild again. Stay tuned to see what develops.

Doyle has several Olsons. The first was a gift. The others he bought. Doyle is a guitar nut as bad as any here. Check out his song "Guitar Poor" for a little tongue in cheek humor. It's great!

Last edited by The Growler; 07-23-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:59 PM

I saw Doyle live at the Iridium in New York City a few years ago and also met him at a Godin clinic here in Montreal. Great player and a very spiritual man with some really beautiful stories to share.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I believe Doyle is with Jim Olson now. The Taylor gig was before the Guild gig. And I'm pretty sure, there was someone else in between Guild and Jim Olson. It almost sounds like trying to keep track of someone's multiple marriages. (Edit - as I was posting, RioRider figured it out - Godin)

David - you must have been up in New Hartford, CT for the Let's Meet Guild Fest (as was I)! By any chance, did you grow up in that area?
No sir, Louisiana boy through and through. I saw him at Shreveport Music and I guessed at 50 in attendance but it might have been closer to 40, now that I think about it. And given the timeframe he would have been with Taylor when I saw him so I guess I got that wrong, too, based on what I'm reading in these posts!

I saw him twice, both times at S'port Music and a couple of years apart. Both times were by invitation only to keep from over filling the store but I know the owner and got the invite both times.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Doyle was with Guild before Fender sold them. Then he worked with Robert Godin and Lloyd Baggs on the limited edition Godin Multiac, which as referenced above is still available until the end of the year.

I just got one of these on eBay. It plays with the ease of an electric but gives you a very good amplified sound. It’s a great guitar for loud gigs particularly. It is really a player’s instrument. Great for virtuoso playing. For intimate gigs I would rather use my Martin and dual source pickup, but on a big stage where feedback and unknown sound engineers are factors, this is just awesome!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion