The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 01:22 PM

Default What songs for a retirement village or nursing home?

I'm looking at trying to start doing these types of gigs after some encouragement from a local musician. Anyone have experience doing this? if so, what songs have you found went over the best?

I'm guessing that i'd be looking at 40's-50's type stuff right? Maybe some crooner-type stuff as well?

Thanks,
Mr.Woody
Old 07-29-2019, 01:26 PM

How about "When I'm 64" by the Beatles? :-)

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster
Old 07-29-2019, 01:31 PM

I'd guess popular songs from the 1940s through the 1960s, given the age ranges that you might see. Ask your musician friend who pushed for you to do it what THEY play?
Old 07-29-2019, 01:33 PM

"Spirit in the Sky". Norman Greenbaum
Old 07-29-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I've done a bunch of these with different musician friends over the years. There are differences between "retirement", "Nursing home", and "Memory Care" homes. Thus there are what I call "local" considerations. So I agree with Mycroft - one thing to do is speak your contacts, both musician and the "home" staff.

Yes, 40's/50's tunes work but, I was impressed with the breadth of songs the folks knew. Don't restrict yourself, pending what you can can find out about each place you intend to visit/perform at. We did stuff from the 1800's (e.g. civil war stuff), early 1900's, and on up. Show tunes work well. But not everyone likes them. It's really a microcosm of any "typical" audience. And thus, some of them will even know more contemporary tunes.

Nursing and Memory Care homes often have family present when you perform. Our performances at least were kind of a big deal in those places and advertised well in advance, and families came out to be with their loved ones and enjoy the hour. Those younger folks then also know tunes and enjoy hearing something of "their vintage". If there are young children around, you can do a couple for them as well - they can sometimes get their grandparent(s) to join in.

So, you have a lot of options. This has come up before on this forum and folks sent some set lists; you might be able to find that thread in the archives. You can also browse the index of various fake books (a 30's, a 40's, etc) and get ideas.

And then seasonal stuff works. In general, we found a lot of the older material to be written in flat keys so did a lot of transposing for guitar (well really for the other stringed instruments that can't take a capo).

The occasional risque song goes over well (sans young children). What surprised me most perhaps, were the requests for Good Night Irene. I never would have guessed folks in a nursing home would request that one. But they did, more than once. Times change and that happened over a decade ago. Point is, you never know. We got a lot of ideas from Rise Up Singing since there are 1200 to choose from, that span many decades and topics.

It's a great thing to do - I hope to get back to it soon. They are so appreciative. The Memory Care units were a bit bittersweet - but again all involved (families, nurses) were so thankful for our efforts.

Joh

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 07-29-2019, 02:23 PM

I've done a few of those, and the tunes they seem to respond to the most are the Great American Songbook ones. I guess nobody else plays 'em because they're well, hard.

You haven't lived until you've seen a bunch of 85-year-olds snap their fingers and sing along with "I've Got You Under My Skin."

But the song that might be the most thematically appropriate is Lynyrd Skynyrd's "What's Your Name?"

Couch Standards
Old 07-29-2019, 02:42 PM

Yes, call ahead and find out two things: 1) what is the age range of the majority of the old folks then work backwards to see what date range they would have been when they were between 12 years old and 40 years old and play top 10 hits from those eras. Also ask what kind of music the home plays at the parties and events that go on in the home and that get the most reaction from the folks living there. 2) Only play happy songs - do not try to sing things like Ralph Stanley's "O Death" or the like. Try to include some easy to sing-along with tunes and have some copies of lyrics you can pass out. Maybe invite some willing members of the audience to come up and sing backup with you - get them involved.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 07-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

A friend of mine plays for a number of nursing homes with memory care units and she is originally from France so she plays some French folk tunes as well as some 40s and 50s jazz standards and 60s folk standards. She received a lot of requests for songs by John Denver and Glenn Campbell so she learned a few of those and added them to her song list. She said that the French songs end up being a hit in the memory care unit because they don't get so frustrated about not remembering the English lyrics so they just relax and enjoy the music.

Anything that has a simple, singable chorus is usually a big hit.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-29-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Smile

I play/sing with a group that does the retirement/rehab/memory circuit one to two times a week. We play mostly Christian songs with a few secular ones thrown in.

I would guess the average age is 80, which means they were born in 1939-ish...and so were teenagers in the mid 50's. So that means 40's music is way too old, unless it is a super standard. Since most of this age group in the USA was a church going bunch in their youth, they appreciate the standard popular hymns. (Guess in twenty years they'll be asking for rap).

We have about 140 songs in our book, and we lend books to the audience so they can sing along. We start off with one or two, and then play whatever is requested from our songbook. We play for about an hour with two or three breaks for short inspirational messages (and so we can rest).

Here are some of the more popular songs:
1. Amazing Grace
2. America the Beautiful
3. Blowin in the Wind
4. Do Lord Remember Me
5. Give Me That Old Time Religion
6. God Bless America
7. Green, Green
8. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
9. Here I Am Lord
10. How Great thou Art
11. I Saw The Light
12. If I Had A Hammer
13. I Will Follow Him
14. Just A Closer Walk With Thee
15. Lean On Me
16. Peace In The Valley
17. Ring Of Fire
18. This Little Light Of Mine
19. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
20. Why Me Lord?
21. When The Saints Go Marching In

Hope this helps. The people we play for seem to enjoy it, but I believe we get more out of it than they do.

Last edited by srick; 07-31-2019 at 06:33 AM. Reason: removed duplicate post
Old 07-29-2019, 03:25 PM

We play at six different AssistedLiving / Care Facilties.To be perfectly honest, Lee and I play some older tunes, but the residents like anything if it's good.
They just want to hear some music. We do a variety of stuff. They love it.
Eagles, James Taylor, CSNY, Chris Stapleton, America, Willie Nelson, George Jones, Clapton, Jim Croce, John Denver, John Hiatt, Bob Seger, Neil Young, Cat Stevens,Beatles, you name it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-29-2019, 03:32 PM

Hey, you are talking my age group to some extent (I'm nearly 72 and been retired for 12 years).

I really like the 50's stuff, rock and roll and pop songs, as well as songs from The Great American Songbook (I thank my dad for that). Might throw in some early 60's songs as well.

One that always works well for a lot of ages is 'Take Out To The Ballgame'. They will sing along with that one.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:49 PM

I'm 72. I like zeeway's lists.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
I'm looking at trying to start doing these types of gigs after some encouragement from a local musician. Anyone have experience doing this? if so, what songs have you found went over the best?

I'm guessing that i'd be looking at 40's-50's type stuff right? Maybe some crooner-type stuff as well?

Thanks,
Mr.Woody
I think you need to ask the members of the retirement home, not this board. The people living there will no doubt have an eclectic ear and volunteer your answers. The last time I did that I got the whole genre scope and favorites of each of them.

Leave an email at the home requesting responses and you'll be surprised at how prompt they are. And, when you do sift through the responses and arrange a sampling of them in your repertoire, as you play them at the home you can address the responses by requester's name. In this, they feel much closer to you as your audience.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:36 PM

Music that was new and popular when the residents were age 15 to 25.

If that average age is 70, then 50 years prior it would be 1964 - 1974.

Last edited by Tico; 07-29-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:48 PM

You mentioned crooner and this is where I would lean. I've spent a lot of time around elderly and they love these classics. Like....

Nat King Cole "Unforgettable"
Johnny Mathis "Chances Are"
Sinatra "Fly Me To The Moon"
Tony Bennett "I Left My Heart In San Francisco"
Andy Williams "Moon River"
Dean Martin "That's Amore"
Perry Como "It's Impossible"
Vic Damone "Stardust"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion