The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I thought someone would have answered this by now.

Foot goes down on one, stays down on two and comes back up on three and repeats this for the second half of the bar.
<groan>

How and why is this so darn difficult? Don't over think the process.

George
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Two things on foot tapping:

1. It makes no sense (IMO) to think about sub-dividing the beat in foot taps. It's either down or up. It goes down on the beat (two beats in 6/8, remember), and it doesn't much matter when it comes up.

2. If you can't do it in time without thinking about it, don't do it; it won't help, and just gives you one more physical activity to think about.
If you can do it naturally in time without thinking (subconsciously while thinking about what you're playing) - then you don't need to do it anyway (because that means you have a good inner sense of time.)
IOW, foot tapping is of no use in helping you keep time. If your time is bad, then your foot tapping will be irregular, therefore of no use. If your time is good - then you don't need to tap! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
<groan>

How and why is this so darn difficult? Don't over think the process.

I find it easier counting 1 2 3 4 5 6

I just thought, whether it's 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, etc., you're supposed to be able to do both, count and tap your foot at the same time.

--
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow_D View Post
I find it easier counting 1 2 3 4 5 6

I just thought, whether it's 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, etc., you're supposed to be able to do both, count and tap your foot at the same time.

--
You may be able to count and tap your foot at the same time. But (a) can you do it in steady time, and (b) can you also play the guitar while doing both?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Exclamation Stop counting and play music!

You can talk and write about this forever. All this business of how it is counted etc etc etc. could be eliminated by just posting some sound samples. Listen to the sound samples then play them yourself. For crying out loud, stop counting and just play music! Did God give you ears? Use them and just listen!

I have never owned or used a metronome. Keep using that crutch and you'll never be able to keep time. I never count anything except to give the tempo to other musicians and even then I usually just play an intro and tell them to come in at a designated spot. If they can't hear it in their heads they're fired. I keep time on my instrument and in my head.

"The business ain't nothin' but the blues!" -
Rahsaan Roland Kirk
"
mike-wilhelm.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write