The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-29-2011, 05:01 PM

Default Looking for a great OD tone on the Peavey Classic 50 212

Any suggestions on how to get a really good OD/Rock sound on the Peavey Classic 50 212 without it sounding too muddy? I've tried and tried but I just feel like there is always a bit of mud in the tone. Is this just a characterisic of the Classic 50 due to it being modelled after the Bassman? Once I can get the tone I'm looking for I would also like to drive it more with the SD-1 OD pedal. Not to say I don't have a pretty good tone now BUT I just am always chasing tone. Maybe I'm just being too picky?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 PM

Try a Boost pedal to supplement your OD pedal. Sounds like a Treble Boost pedal is what you need to get away from the "muddiness". It also may be in the match between your guitar pickups and the amp. A good boost pedal with some tone control would help you EQ out the mud. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 PM

I do have a boost pedal. It's the Seymour Duncan Boost (red stompbox). It's only meant to boost. Does not have anything except a knob to increase the dB levels. Might be worth a shot though and play around with some of it. At one point I did have a Boss EQ-7 (is that the name of it???) but sold it on Craigslist a while back. Would that pedal help me out?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 PM

A Timmy works great (or a Tim)

I installed a set of Weber speakers in my C50 212. 1 Blue Dog and 1 Silver Bell, both ceramic. What a fantastic upgrade!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Ford View Post
I do have a boost pedal. It's the Seymour Duncan Boost (red stompbox). It's only meant to boost. Does not have anything except a knob to increase the dB levels. Might be worth a shot though and play around with some of it. At one point I did have a Boss EQ-7 (is that the name of it???) but sold it on Craigslist a while back. Would that pedal help me out?

Yes, an EQ pedal would allow you to dial out the frequencies that cause the mud and/or increase the needed frequencies. You also should play around with the distance between your pickups and the strings. Sometimes lowering the pickups a bit wil relieve muddiness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification