The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Buying my first strat - need help with models

My band is getting back together just for fun and maybe few local dates, and I want to get a nice USA made strat to compliment my Les Paul and to give my shoulders a little break lol. I am pretty familiar with Les Paul production line, but I'm pretty lost when it comes to Fender Starts. Anyone has any good readings or starting point when buying strats? There are just too many options and models out there so I feel little lost.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM

The American Standard is a good place to start that wouldn't break the bank. I like the hot alnico pickups and the no-load tone pot. I also think you'd like the medium jumbo frets if you're a Les Paul player. It comes with a nice case too.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
The American Standard is a good place to start that wouldn't break the bank. I like the hot alnico pickups and the no-load tone pot. I also think you'd like the medium jumbo frets if you're a Les Paul player. It comes with a nice case too.
I agree. Once you get past the American Standards it's really a dizzying array of models, colors, and features.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM

You can kinda divide Strats into two groups: American and import.

Within each group, there are two basic trim levels. Deluxe models generally offer more bling. The Standard models less so, but, IMO, the same quality. I put my money where my mouth is and own a 2009 American Standard. With the market like it is you can find these used for seven c's with original HSC in mint condition easy. You can do better than that if you're willing to work at it and/or don't need mint.

Many folks are very, very satisfied with their Standard Strat (if American doesn't appear in the name, then it's imported--generally from Mexico). There's a saying, "The difference between a Mexican Strat and an American Strat is that a Mexican Strat is made in Mexico by Mexicans and American Strat is made in America by Mexicans." This goes to the overarching point that they are similar products in many respects. So, definitely try a Mexicaster out. Again, they are strong contenders.

The only word of caution I would give you is that many buy the Mexican model and then want to do upgrades. Big mistake IMO. You won't get your money out of upgrades and by the time you put them on you could easily have bought a used mint American Standard. Key parts between American and import options are NOT interchangeable. So, if you pickup up a Mexicaster don't upgrade it. If you wind up feeling like you just need more, sell it and buy something else. Used Mexicasters usually run around xxx used and will not have an HSC (which, if your gigging, is a must have IMO). The Fender HSC will run just north of xxx. Other options just south.

I suggest you check out www.Strat-Talk.com. There's another good Strat forum too. I can't remember the name.

If you have a specific question, I'll do my best to answer it.

Last edited by Forensicguy; 01-19-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Price discussions not allowed per forum rules, even if spelled out and disguised in Spanish
Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM

I didn't delve into signature models. Once you get the basic Standard and Deluxe options in mind, you'll see that signature models generally look a lot like a Standard or Deluxe but with a specific color, or neck radius or shape, etc. Just compare the specs to a typical Standard or Deluxe. In general, sig models with MSRP xxx and below are Mexicasters.

Last edited by Forensicguy; 01-19-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: No price discussions per forum rules
Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM

I would suggest that you also consider the made in USA G&L line. Superior in my opinion to the Fender and comparable in price.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If you are interested in a fresh perspective, you can read my review of the American Standard Strat HERE. I started out looking for a MexiStrat but couldn't find one I liked and ended up with the American one. I like the G&Ls as well. For example, the S-500 is a really cool hot Strat. I like G&L's Dual Fulcrum trem better than the Am. Standard Strat's. The G&Ls are extremely customizable. Just make sure you find one with the radius, frets, and other characteristics you want. Body wood and fretboard wood make a difference, so try 'em out and buy with your ears and hands.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 PM

Ditto on the American Strat and American G&L line. I installed the noisless vintage PU's and Fender brand locking tuners on my strat. Sounds great for my type of music and amps. (mostly blues)

G&L's have a distinct tone to them.. depending on the model...but they're all good.... very good. I noticed the PU's are hotter than the Fender standard with next to humbucker sustain.

The term is used a lot, but if something were to happen to my G&L I'd for sure replace it, but I'd say that about all my guitars.
PRS Single Cut
Solloway Swan
Les Paul Standard + Cherry Burst
Les Paul Standard + Honey Burst
Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Recording King
Taylor 414ce
Rivera 5512
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Deluxe Reverb x 2
Fender Super Champ
Marshal Haze 40
Genz Benz TL60

"You Can't Fix Stupid"
Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM

I love my Mayer Strat...I played a TON of Strats before settling on the one I brought home, American Standard, Deluxe Players, Clapton, Johnson, SRV, Custom Shop, etc.

I wound up with the Mayer because of the pickups in that guitar...they are (to me at least) the most killer sounding Strat pickups in the line. Also dug the neck profile and the feel of the guitar. I *wanted* to like some of the others better, especially the Eric Johnson, but in the end, I just couldn't make myself leave with anything other than the Mayer because of the feel and tone that it had.

My suggestion...there are a lot of models...go find a Guitar Center and go play them. Play all they have, they will have many. Pick what feels and sounds best for you. Go home happy. Play, play, play, play, play. Be even more happy.
1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline
2001 Gibson ES-335 ESDT
2008 LM-600-VS 'The Loar' Mandolin
Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM

Wow. Did not expect so many quick responses about strat on a acoustic guitar forum. Thanks guys
I can now certainly narrow it down to an American Strat. I've actually did play some Mexicans and some Americans made, and at first I could not tell the difference, but I did noticed that American made ones ware little easier to play and frets are filled better. Now, I have to research which American to buy, neck profile, pickups, fretboard, color, etc... Whewww. too many options.
Contrary to acoustic guitars, my first "must have" is comfort. Neck and frets has to feel great. Then we'll talk tone and pickups.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

I had to play quite a few until I narrowed down my wishlist of features. I found that I really wanted the pop-in tremelo arm, the roller nut, and 2 noiseless single coils in the neck & middle. I chose the American Deluxe Strat HSS and got everything I wanted plus the added (and very comfortable) bonus of the compound radius neck.

But for about a month I was almost surely going to pick the Am std, Am special, or Blacktop. I really had to go back & forth.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 PM

There are many, many great S type guitars out there. All have their place and some will be better quality than Fender for a given price point. However, the only thing that really sounds like a Strat is a Strat.

Now, you may or may not want that iconic tone. But, if you do, stick with Fender. If you don't have to have Strat tone, then you've just opened a dizzying world of options.

As far as the Mayer stuff goes, he's hella controversial to say the least. But, to my ear, he has outrageous tone and even better chops. I am considering some Klein S-5 pups as I write this. Note, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my Am Std pups. They're great. But, I love Mayer's tone and unless you buy new there is no way to know whether you got the Big Dippers you paid for or not. They're not marked!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
If you are interested in a fresh perspective, you can read my review of the American Standard Strat HERE. Bob
Bob,
My Strat is identical to yours save for the RW fretboard. If I could change one thing I'd make it the so called nitro finish. Of course, this nitro debate is a can of worms.

Nice review.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I chose the American Deluxe Strat HSS and got everything I wanted plus the added (and very comfortable) bonus of the compound radius neck.
The compound radius necks found on modern American Deluxe Strats are loved by many.

However, my $.02, I don't recommend an HSS (Humbucker, Singlecoil, Singlecoil) for anyone's only strat. The importance of the bridge pup cannot be over-stated for certain classic Strat sounds, and you won't get it with a humbucker there. Yes, one can coil tap the 'bucker. But, all would agree, it doesn't sound the same as a single coil.

But, YMMV. Get what you like.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Like you, I'm in the market for a Strat. My main concern is finding a neck that is a bit wider - maybe 1 3/4" or at least 1 11/16". Any help on models with a wider neck appreciated also.

What kind of stratocaster works well for fingerstyle playing?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification