The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Update on my search for new guitar and another question

Hi again!

So if you remember a while ago I posted a thread asking for help with finding a good budget guitar. I got quite a few responses and I am thankful for them all! So after doing lots of research online and playing lots of guitars I still haven't come to a final decision. so I decided to buy new and the guitars that are at the top of my list rn are, The Breeedlove pursuit concert ce, the Alvarez AGW 770cear, and the Orangewood Mason live.

I played quite a few Breedloves and loved the sound, feel, looks of them all, and it's in my price range. However, I am a little concerned about the Pinless bridge. I have heard that that could cause the bride to peel off easier.

The Alvarez is a beautiful guitar but the sound isn't the best (at least to my liking) it's a bit of a budget stretch, and I can't find any reviews or videos or anything on them anywhere. Not even Alvarez's website. It seems it was replaced with the AGW77.

And lastly the Orangewood looks awesome, has great reviews (I have never seen a negative review for it yet) is the cheapest, and I like the sound or at least what I would hear from several videos. But I'm a little skeptical about buying a guitar I've never played before online. But I do hear they have a good return policy...

So those are the top three guitars on my list. Still haven't made a final decision yet tho

And lastly my final question...or at least I hope it's my last.

How much would the quality/sound of a guitar closer to the $1000 range be versus my $500 budget. In other words would it be worth it to save a few more dollars or would the difference be minimal, purely cosmetic, just a name on a headstock, more features...etc.?

Thanks again!

Last edited by bmoss02; 07-25-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoss02 View Post
...I played quite a few Breedloves and loved the sound, feel, looks of them all, and it's in my price range. However, I am a little concerned about the Pinless bridge. I have heard that that could cause the bride to peel off easier. ...
You have heard incorrectly. There have been no issues with the Breedlove pinless bridge.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:56 PM

On the surface it seems that you haven't played enough guitars. Price point is always something to consider yet I've played a few $1000 instruments, mostly in over humidified acoustic rooms, and thought they sounded terrible. I have also play many many $500 guitars and thought they were wonderful. Yes, have a budget, but play play play. One day, in some store, you'll pick up a guitar, play a "G" chord.....and be sold.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I played quite a few Breedloves and loved the sound, feel, looks of them all, and it's in my price range. However, I am a little concerned about the Pinless bridge. I have heard that that could cause the bride to peel off easier.
There's nothing wrong with a pinless bridge. Many guitar makers have been using them for a long time without issue ...that includes Lowden which are among the best guitars in the world.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-25-2019, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

+1 to CaptRedBeard, play a lot of guitars in your price range, you’ll know when you find the right guitar, don’t get sucked in by brands, friends, sales people, it has to connect with YOU! I’ll echo the previous comments re: painless bridges, the are great, and my 1998 Breedlove (which has one) is going strong! Perhaps what you’ve heard about are poorly reinforced tops and poorly installed bridges.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 07-26-2019, 06:19 AM

t sounds like you have made a choice - the Breedloves. And have no reason to further consider the Alvarez.

As to your second questions, play a few $1000 instruments and see what you think. Are they enough better to warrant the extra money to you? In guitars, like so many other things, the rate of incremental changes decrease as you add price: ie - there's a bigger difference between $500 and $750 than there is between $750 and $1000. There's a sweet spot for everyone.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:27 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Re Alvarez AGW77 vs AGW770cear:

Alvarez makes a few models that are exclusive to Guitar Center. These models seem to always have three digits in the model number (e.g. AP610 was for GC only, vs AP66 and AP70). You won't find these models listed on the Alvarez website or sold new by other dealers. Based on the specs, the GC models appear to be slightly manufacturing-cost-reduced.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi again!

So if you remember a while ago I posted a thread asking for help with finding a good budget guitar. I got quite a few responses and I am thankful for them all! So after doing lots of research online and playing lots of guitars I still haven't come to a final decision. so I decided to buy new and the guitars that are at the top of my list rn are, The Breeedlove pursuit concert ce, the Alvarez AGW 770cear, and the Orangewood Mason live.

The Alvarez is a beautiful guitar but the sound isn't the best (at least to my liking) it's a bit of a budget stretch, and I can't find any reviews or videos or anything on them anywhere. Not even Alvarez's website. It seems it was replaced with the AGW77.

And lastly the Orangewood looks awesome, has great reviews (I have never seen a negative review for it yet) is the cheapest, and I like the sound or at least what I would hear from several videos. But I'm a little skeptical about buying a guitar I've never played before online. But I do hear they have a good return policy...

So those are the top three guitars on my list. Still haven't made a final decision yet tho

And lastly my final question...or at least I hope it's my last.

How much would the quality/sound of a guitar closer to the $1000 range be versus my $500 budget. In other words would it be worth it to save a few more dollars or would the difference be minimal, purely cosmetic, just a name on a headstock, more features...etc.?

Thanks again!

For $1000 or less you could go with a killer Eastman E10 series. Either Dread or OM/000. IMO, a big step up compared to entry level Alvarez and Breedlove.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:52 AM

Any bridge glued to a guitar can lift or split. I own three guitars with pinless bridges. They were built between 1942 and 1962 and have not given me one moment of grief.

Best way to pick a guitar remains the same as it was before the internet. Pick the guitar you like the sound and feel of best within your price range.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:16 PM

I think 1k to 1.5k really is worth the 'double' the price. You can move up in solid woods and get good pickups. I do think Eastman's and Blueridge are definitely worth a look.

You can also move to all solid Breedlove in that range: https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-...coustic-guitar
Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
You have heard incorrectly. There have been no issues with the Breedlove pinless bridge.
I've owned three Breedloves and none had any problems with having a pinless bridge.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Best way to pick a guitar remains the same as it was before the internet. Pick the guitar you like the sound and feel of best within your price range.
This is the best advice on here. Play a lot of guitars. The wand chooses the wizard.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 07-26-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
...I still haven't come to a final decision. so I decided to buy new and the guitars that are at the top of my list rn are, The Breeedlove pursuit concert ce, the Alvarez AGW 770cear, and the Orangewood Mason live.

And lastly my final question...
How much would the quality/sound of a guitar closer to the $1000 range be versus my $500 budget.
It's always better to have a bigger budget and spend less than the other way around. A lot depends on the guitars you're looking at, and often the name brand. You never know when you'll stumble onto that gem that you HAVE to have.

In terms of NEW guitars in the $1000 price range, the one series that has impressed me is the Martin Road Series. They are made in Mexico and I've played several and they all sound terrific. In fact, I was at GC and had played some of the newer and MUCH more expensive Taylor guitars and of all the guitars I played I liked the Taylor 414ceSE the best, but very closely followed by the Martin Road series. The MRS does feel like the finish has the same finesse as other guitars, but there wasn't anything objectionable about it. The feel was good. But the sound was way above it's price point. My guess is you could probably negotiate a $1000 MRS for a 15% and get the price down for a motivated seller.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion