The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2019, 05:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
One of the interesting things to do with open tunings is "cross tuning" or playing the tuning in a key different from its name. Howard Emerson uses this concept often: https://www.howardemerson.com/

Open G offers some interesting possibilities for cross tuning and some years ago I did a little blog post covering the basics: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2012/...open-g-tuning/

Nothing earth-shaking but possibly mildly amusing to someone.

Fran
Hello Fran,
Thanks for the mention!

Perhaps an example will help more than an explanation. In the first one I'm playing off the IV chord of the tuning (ignore the capo). The open strings end up being the V chord of the song, called Light In The Distance.

In this example I'm playing off the V chord of the tuning, hence the open strings end up being the IV chord of the song, my arrangement of Mystery Train.

Enjoy!

Howard
Old 09-13-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI Lodgy

It's a tuning that's good for slide playing, and simple chords, and even some simple fingerstyle. Sometimes I'll change it to Open G min (D-G-D-G-Bb-D) because it's easier to make the barre into a major chord (one finger) as opposed to playing minor barre chords in open G.

This is genius.....how come I've never realised this tuning in minor to make playing major chords easier. Every days a schoolday.....even in my sixties.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I learned an interesting variation of open G watching Rainer Brunn videos. In the Clifford Gibson song "Tired of Being Mistreated" Rainer plays the song in open G but with the 6th string tunes down a tone to C so the tuning looks like this :
C G D G B D. This gives you a nice low bass for the IV Chord C.

The ultimate solo slide song IMO in open G is "Dallas" by the the late, great Johnny Winter.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

When my 9pc band of 40+ years dwindled down to 3pc, Guitar, Bass, and Drum, I learned a few songs in this tuning.

Don't like to be stuck to one key, so also learned some songs in open D, as well as drop D, and Standard tuning down a whole step.

Also, there's the Rain Song tuning of I believe is G+9 Although I've heard it called G5th
D G C G C D
Old 09-14-2022, 10:20 AM

Other examples of open G on acoustic guitar: some of the Everly Brother's classics like "Bye Bye Love"

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-14-2022, 10:54 AM

I go with Open G6 tuning where you re-tune only the low E and A strings. I use it for songs ranging from Mississippi John's "Spike Driver Blues" to the Stones "Honky Tonk Woman."
Old 09-14-2022, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I use it quite a bit when I'm playing slide guitar. It truly has that Delta sound.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:00 AM

I pretty much leave my Waterloo WL-14 in open G these days and it sounds so so sweet.

As an aside, anyone know what tuning Barry Gibb /The Bee Gees use most?
Old 09-16-2022, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Check out Warren Allen's Encyclopedia of Guitar Tunings. A rather impressive piece of work IMO.

http://chords.jpglomot.com/WAEAGT/WA...20Tunings.html
Old 09-16-2022, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, one of my 12 strings is tuned to open G. I started out on banjo and find it an easy tuning to use. One of the songs on my album uses it.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:18 AM

I keep one of my guitars in open G, great tuning for blues or American Primitive styles.
91 Taylor K15C Koa
Old 09-17-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
I learned an interesting variation of open G watching Rainer Brunn videos. In the Clifford Gibson song "Tired of Being Mistreated" Rainer plays the song in open G but with the 6th string tunes down a tone to C so the tuning looks like this :
C G D G B D. This gives you a nice low bass for the IV Chord C.

The ultimate solo slide song IMO in open G is "Dallas" by the the late, great Johnny Winter.
In the slack key world we call this tuning "drop C" or "Leonard's C" referring to Leonard Kwan. One of the strengths of open G for slack key is the flexibility of quickly changing to the key of C in this way. Not an open tuning but a rich and interesting one.

Another nearby tuning is "g wahine" which involves dropping the middle G to an F#. In this tuning the tonic and dominant can be played by moving one finger between two strings. It also facilitates the much loved hammer-on to the I note. Auntie Alice Namakelua suggested that this is the oldest slack key tuning, information she learned from a great uncle who she said was one of the originators of Hawaiian style guitar.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-17-2022, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting, I know very little about Hawaiian style guitar. Not too many slack key players in northern Ontario but I'm always on the lookout for something new to learn.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:59 PM

Open G tuning is also known as taro patch tuning and is used in a lot of Hawaiian slack key music. Leo Kottkw also used it and a lot in his early music and a few recent songs as well. There's about 25 tunes that I work on in that tuning. It's also good for slide guitar.

I recommend mark Hanson's book If you're interested in learning slack kiguitar instrumentals and Stropes editions If you're feeling ambitious and want to tackle some Kottke.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:25 PM

I use it a lot, along with Open D. I think both tunings came to the fore with blues players, but I use the tunings for various fingerstyle arrangements. I don't strum and sing so I can't comment about that and all the chord shapes. For fingerstyle, many of the chords are abbreviated or implied.

I am about to complete the Peghead Nation course on alternate tunings by Doug Young, who many of you will recognize as a world class guitarist. He has done everything from dropped D, to DADGAD (I personally don't like that), Open D, Open G, Open G Minor, and Open D minor. I highly recommend that course if you want some professional instruction.

I actually have re-arranged a number of my Christmas tunes into open G, just for a different sound. The chords are really rich in spots, almost giving a 12 string sound. I was able to put together 2 complete set lists. Good that the Sibelius guitar program has a preset tab for Open G.

Jon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion