The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2019, 06:51 AM

Question Acoustic Fingerstyle/picking Online Teacher for Folk, Funk, R&B, Soft Rock and Blues

Hi all

I've been reading through some of the threads on acoustic fingerpicking and fingerstyle teachers that one can access online, and noticed two names repeatedly pop up: Toby Walker and Stefan Grosman. Apparently these two are great teachers in their choice of genre.

I'm at the beginner stage, but know a few open chords, and can play a few 3 chord songs, etc. I love the more modern blues, folk, R&B (including the 70s/80s) and wanted to know if any of you have had similar success with online courses/teachers with the genres mentioned in the thread title?

Hoping you can help.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS_70 View Post
Hi all

I've been reading through some of the threads on acoustic fingerpicking and fingerstyle teachers that one can access online, and noticed two names repeatedly pop up: Toby Walker and Stefan Grosman. Apparently these two are great teachers in their choice of genre.

I'm at the beginner stage, but know a few open chords, and can play a few 3 chord songs, etc. I love the more modern blues, folk, R&B (including the 70s/80s) and wanted to know if any of you have had similar success with online courses/teachers with the genres mentioned in the thread title?

Hoping you can help.
I've take some song courses from Stefan Grossman's site from Instructor John Miller. They are very good, with split views in the video, and full accurtate tab. Those are mostly older country blues songs, such as John Hurt. But he has a wide variety on the site.
Also check out Dave Hamburger for blues instruction.
Breedlove Oregon Concertina Sitka/Myrtlewood
Old 07-24-2019, 08:52 PM

Thanks for that, will check them out.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:06 PM

I've bought a bunch of pre-recorded lessons from Toby Walker. I've enjoyed them and found them beneficial for my playing. Toby of course focuses on country blues fingerpicking, with maybe a bit of ragtime thrown in. Not too much of the other styles you mentioned, at least that I noticed. If that interests you, perhaps give him an email and see what he recommends. I think he also offers personal lessons through skipe or the like. I found that actual one-on-one lessons really helped me get started. I hope you have lots of fun!
Old 07-25-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Hi all

Hoping you can help.

Have a read through the link below from Stefan Grossman - "The Learning Process":

http://www.guitarvideos.com/the-learning-process

BluesKing777.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:11 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone.

I'm checking them all out now, and am considering Rolly Brown's Nuts and Bolts series... starting with fingerpicking.

Much appreciated.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:24 AM

If you're interested in having "in-person" online lessons to learn finger style, Jamie Stillway is a gifted finger style guitarist and a great teacher. She uses Skype and FaceTime and my playing has improved significantly since starting lessons with her. She can play and teach blues, folk, r&b as well as anything else you might be interested in learning. Her website:http://jamiestillway.com/lessons/
Old 07-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Thanks for the info, everyone.

I'm checking them all out now, and am considering Rolly Brown's Nuts and Bolts series... starting with fingerpicking.

Much appreciated.
I love Rolly's lessons - approachable and thorough step-by-step method. I highly recommend.

I haven't had a lesson with Jamie but I have heard good things about her as a teacher.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 07-25-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 07-25-2019, 11:38 AM

I really like Marty Schwartz for online instruction. He makes it seem like its just you and him in a studio. Something he does is pausing to allow you time to play a riff or chord pattern he just showed.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-25-2019, 09:01 PM

Thumbs up

Great help, guys, thanks heaps.

I'm making a note of everything for future reference.

I also ended up buying Toby Walker's "Learning How to Fingerpick" as there are so many rave reviews about his style of teaching. I figure even tho' it's country blues, the fundamental technique acquired (for a beginner) definitely can't hurt.

Appreciatively
Deb
Old 07-25-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Hey Deb, I bought that course when I was in your shoes and it was a big help! Enjoy
Old 07-25-2019, 09:19 PM

Thanks, Bob!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerpicking, fingerstyle, stefan grosman, toby walker