The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2019, 01:29 PM

Every single guitar is different. Sure, a D-18 sounds like a D-18 and a J-45 sounds like a J-45 et....but no two guitars are alike and there will be great ones, good ones, mediocre ones and a few duds in every line from every builder. What I'm getting at is if you love the Yamaha, get it. You could sell the Taylor privately and get the money to order a different Yamaha with a few bucks left over but there is no guarantee it'll sound and feel like the one that you want right now. Sure, if you go this route the Yamaha you get will sound like a Yamaha but it very well might not sound like the one you want. I would make this trade all day long if I loved the Yamaha.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:04 PM

Default Would this be considered a downgrade or a upgrade?

A sideways step perhaps. Personally I’d sell the Taylor, add a little cash (if possible) and buy a used Eastman or Guild but Yamaha make excellent guitars. I do think however that an ‘entry’ level Yamaha may also sound bland in time. One thing good guitars (and good wine) have in common is added complexity which can hold ones interest for longer. Although cheaper I think the Yamaha punches well above its weight whereas the Taylor is a decent entry level guitar at a fairly premium price point. I don’t see an issue with the trade but I fear you might be posting the same sort of thread 6 months from now!
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 07-25-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
If you are playing one guitar and then find another guitar that makes your ears and hands happier and more satisfied, then it is an upgrade in my humble opinion. Marketing-wise, monetary-value-wise, I still think you would be ahead. Yamaha's have a great reputation.

Best,
Jayne
Maybe is spot on IMHO. If the Yamaha sounds, and plays how you like them it's not a step down. Owning a guitar that doesn't play, and sound how you like is useless. Money wise it's a step down, but money isn't everything as far as guitars are concerned. We're not talking a $300 guitar compared to a $3000 dollar guitar here, that would be different.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 07-25-2019, 06:00 AM

If you're trading for a guitar that you would prefer to play I don't see how you could go wrong. You can usually make out better selling a guitar yourself, but let's not pretend that can't be a giant pain in the rump.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-25-2019, 06:03 AM

It's not a downgrade if your ears and hands say it's an upgrade.

But, as others have said, you'd leave some cash on the table just doing a direct trade. Buy the best Yamaha you can find, and then take your time selling the Taylor for the best price you can get.

If you own both for a time, you can compare them side by side to make sure you've made the right choice.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
It's not a downgrade if your ears and hands say it's an upgrade.

But, as others have said, you'd leave some cash on the table just doing a direct trade. Buy the best Yamaha you can find, and then take your time selling the Taylor for the best price you can get.

If you own both for a time, you can compare them side by side to make sure you've made the right choice.
Yep, it's the quality of the experience that tells you which it is. You could have a Somogyi and be bummed because you find it's too resonant and sustaining for jazz.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Would this be considered a downgrade or a upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Every single guitar is different. Sure, a D-18 sounds like a D-18 and a J-45 sounds like a J-45 et....but no two guitars are alike and there will be great ones, good ones, mediocre ones and a few duds in every line from every builder. What I'm getting at is if you love the Yamaha, get it. You could sell the Taylor privately and get the money to order a different Yamaha with a few bucks left over but there is no guarantee it'll sound and feel like the one that you want right now. Sure, if you go this route the Yamaha you get will sound like a Yamaha but it very well might not sound like the one you want. I would make this trade all day long if I loved the Yamaha.

I think this is a very valid point.
Here on the AGF, it’s pretty much universally accepted that guitars vary from example to example ... change the strings, see if it brings back the sound you love.
If not, I would make the trade ...

~ Paul

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion