The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Default How long will Taylor make Builder's Editions?

What is Taylor's history with Builder's Editions? I quite possibly have just purchased my favorite guitar of all time in my 717, and I'm considering buying a 517 to pair with it because these Builder's Edition features are just right down my alley.

My thinking is that I'd like to get a 517 while I can still get one new with warranty before they discontinue them. Now, I'm not saying that the next iterations won't be better or even more awesome, but I could always sell it down the road.

How long will they run them?
Old 06-18-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
What is Taylor's history with Builder's Editions? I quite possibly have just purchased my favorite guitar of all time in my 717, and I'm considering buying a 517 to pair with it because these Builder's Edition features are just right down my alley.

My thinking is that I'd like to get a 517 while I can still get one new with warranty before they discontinue them. Now, I'm not saying that the next iterations won't be better or even more awesome, but I could always sell it down the road.

How long will they run them?
For as long as enough people buy them would be my guess.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
For as long as enough people buy them would be my guess.
Yeah, I have no clue. I know they like to bring out limited editions and what not, but I have no idea how long these will be available.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Hard to say because I think "Builder's Edition" is new terminology they started using last year with the introduction of the V-class bracing. I would email or call Taylor!
Old 06-18-2019, 04:47 PM

No idea how long it will go, but the previous BE's are different spec.
While I love the V bracing of my 717e, I also love the chunky BE neck with the compound carve. I love Elixirs and especially PB and I am having a nice time running the ES2 through my Tonedexter, very pleased with the sound I get from that combo.

I still think Lowden players and lovers will embrace the BE GP series more than fans of other makes.

And while I did mention something coming over me and also wanting the 5 after playing my 7 when I bought it, I am now waiting to see what they come up with next - the 5 and 7 would be way too similar. An article in Guitarist UK stated they were twins and hard to tell the difference without looking at the label...

NO, I now want firstly, to keep exploring this 717e beauty while Andy is hopefully working on a full fingerpicker Grand Concert Builder's Edition with the compound neck and rounded everything and pickup! All mahogany, all Tas Blackwood, sinker something, don't care. And preferable just ONE model so we don't have to agonize over 5 or 7 or 3 or....

Just nod if you are listening, Andy!

BluesKing777.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
No idea how long it will go, but the previous BE's are different spec.

While I love the V bracing of my 717e, I also love the chunky BE neck with the compound carve. I love Elixirs and especially PB and I am having a nice time running the ES2 through my Tonedexter, very pleased with the sound I get from that combo.

I still think Lowden players and lovers will embrace the BE GP series more than fans of other makes.

And while I did mention something coming over me and also wanting the 5 after playing my 7 when I bought it, I am now waiting to see what they come up with next - the 5 and 7 would be way too similar. An article in Guitarist UK stated they were twins and hard to tell the difference without looking at the label...

NO, I now want firstly, to keep exploring this 717e beauty while Andy is hopefully working on a full fingerpicker Grand Concert Builder's Edition with the compound neck and rounded everything and pickup! All mahogany, all Tas Blackwood, sinker something, don't care. And preferable just ONE model so we don't have to agonize over 5 or 7 or 3 or....

Just nod if you are listening, Andy!

BluesKing777.

Great points on all accounts. I am quite looking forward to NAMM. I am wondering if they will release standard versions of the 717 and 517, perhaps with gloss. I would imagine an 817 and 417 would be next, or maybe 617.

I guess I’m just curious if the BE specs are one year runs like some of their other limiteds.

And, I totally understand your point about the 517 and 717 being similar. I did think they were similar in the shop. For me it would be nice to have one to keep in standard and one to keep in DADGAD...and the fact that I like both finishes. I find that I get some buzzing either way if I don’t adjust the trussrod depending on the tuning. Maybe not with these, but I have that problem with my Martins I’ve had in the past.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:56 PM

Are these their CEO series? Limited runs of interesting specs/things you might not normally see from Taylor?
Old 06-18-2019, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

I don't know how long they'll build the Builders Editions but would predict that there'll be a 327 and 527 in the offing before a 817....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-18-2019, 07:02 PM

I would love to see the sales figures for the whole GP range! I doubt that will ever happen.

I saw the launch video of the GP at NAMM and was interested to try the 717(E) because of the V Brace and the compound carve neck. (intend to never ever buy online again because of the delivery problems I have had.) A matter of weeks, truly, they had some in at least 2 shops near me, one shop 1/2 hour away, another shop 1 hour each way depending on the traffic. (Product from other companies shown at NAMM haven't arrived here yet.) The first shop had it listed very expensively, so I thought I would maybe try it out there and perhaps go to the other shop with the cheaper price advertised....Ha Ha HA aha aha. Played it and loved it , loved the neck, said take it. And then got a discount PLUS a 25% off Easter Sat sale. Couldn't believe it/

While I may be an 'early adopter', all the others are still sitting in the shop, advertised online - I am not game to go there! They may have multiple stock, but I don't think they are selling.

If that is the case everywhere, it is generally a sign that the 'closed' sign is about to go up on the lovely Builder's Edition idea and the V idea and....hope not, they are great. Perhaps people need to have tried a custom guitar or a top end guitar or 2 to appreciate what the BE is?

BluesKing777.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I don't know how long they'll build the Builders Editions but would predict that there'll be a 327 and 527 in the offing before a 817....

You could be right!
Old 06-18-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I would love to see the sales figures for the whole GP range! I doubt that will ever happen.

I saw the launch video of the GP at NAMM and was interested to try the 717(E) because of the V Brace and the compound carve neck. (intend to never ever buy online again because of the delivery problems I have had.) A matter of weeks, truly, they had some in at least 2 shops near me, one shop 1/2 hour away, another shop 1 hour each way depending on the traffic. (Product from other companies shown at NAMM haven't arrived here yet.) The first shop had it listed very expensively, so I thought I would maybe try it out there and perhaps go to the other shop with the cheaper price advertised....Ha Ha HA aha aha. Played it and loved it , loved the neck, said take it. And then got a discount PLUS a 25% off Easter Sat sale. Couldn't believe it/

While I may be an 'early adopter', all the others are still sitting in the shop, advertised online - I am not game to go there! They may have multiple stock, but I don't think they are selling.

If that is the case everywhere, it is generally a sign that the 'closed' sign is about to go up on the lovely Builder's Edition idea and the V idea and....hope not, they are great. Perhaps people need to have tried a custom guitar or a top end guitar or 2 to appreciate what the BE is?

BluesKing777.

Really hoping that’s not the case and these are still selling well.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Really hoping that’s not the case and these are still selling well.
Take your finger off that trigger - I didn't mean to make you jumpy!

We need to hear from someone who actually sells the things before we come to any conclusion.

All I know is that a famous model with a torrefied top - don't intend to start an inter-maker war - but I could almost have 2 of mine at the price for the price of 1. And mine is 'in tune'. I am struggling with some of my other guitars sounding out of tune up the neck now...it is a bit of a GAS killer. Who knew, eh?

BluesKing777. (Leaving this computer in 1/2 hour to play my 7171e!)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 PM

I bought a Taylor limited edition maybe in the early 1990s. It was a 710 in BRW and I think engleman for the same price as a regular 710. A really nice guitar. Anyway, a year or so later the dealer gets another one in. I was used to limited edition meaning like in artists prints with an defined edition of say 50 or 100, 500 or whatever. I called Taylor and said that I bought this limited edition guitar last year and here comes another one. What is the total # in the edition? He said that it was as many as they could sell.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 PM

Most of the time a Builder's Edition is only for the introductory year of that model, with a limited number made. At least that is how I recall things. But as usual with Taylor, it can take a while for the supply pipeline to fill with brand new models. So who really knows?

Most of the Taylor guitars that I own are LTD's. Limited Editions have usually been a good value with some upgrades compared to a stock model. Sometimes the LTD is a way to test the waters on a new wood or set of features. For example, my 354-LTD was the first time they built a twelve string using a GA or size x14 body. Instead of mahogany for a 300 series, mine has a three-piece maple back and sides with some flame.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:33 AM

Someone commented here I think that a Taylor rep told them they had made a total of 2,000 BE's of the Grand Pacifics and that when they are gone, they are gone. If a reliable number, it would still be a pretty big one, considering that the total production of Taylor's US factory (from what I can tell by googling) is around 40,000 guitars per year.

So assuming this is correct and there are 1,000 of the 517's in the world, I suspect you have time to locate a new one or pick up a used one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion