The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-28-2017, 06:00 PM

Default LR Baggs Session VTC

I have had the new L R Baggs Session VTC undersaddle pick up installed in my Martin DX1 RAE. It also has a soundhole control knobs with volume and tone button . It also has a button you press to compress
It has a nice open full punchy sound to it. Very easy to dial in the eq .
I believe the pick up came out in March 2017.

Very pleased with the pick-up

Dave
Old 05-28-2017, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the report! A few of us have indeed been curious about this new system.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting. Does it change the unplugged sound like the Anthem does?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Very interesting. Does it change the unplugged sound like the Anthem does?
If you notice a change with the Anthem, you will most likely notice one with the Session VTC. Most people attribute the tonal change to the Element UST, which is what the Session VTC uses. I have to admit that I don't full get this new Element version. Yes it adds the saturation control but I am not sure if that's really going to completely alter the tone.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blues View Post
I have had the new L R Baggs Session VTC undersaddle pick up installed in my Martin DX1 RAE. It also has a soundhole control knobs with volume and tone button . It also has a button you press to compress
It has a nice open full punchy sound to it. Very easy to dial in the eq .
I believe the pick up came out in March 2017.

Very pleased with the pick-up

Dave
Are you employing the compression part of the time, or all of the time?

If that multi-band compression serves to keep the most problematic frequencies in check, that may be why you find it easy to dial in a pleasing tone.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:06 AM

Smile

Hi guys
Sorry I haven't replied for a while

It's definitely a great pick up but I am starting to have problems. The preamp that fits around the rim of the sound hole is coming loose. Also I noticed when I strum hard using my palm for the rhythm it distorts. But when I'm fingerpicking it's sounds lovely no distortion at all.
Infact when fingerpicking I really love the clarity and warmth. Best sound I've ever had on my Martin.
I'm going to take it back and get them to put a stronger adhesive to hold the preamp in place ,plus hopefully​ they can sort out the distortion issue. I have read on some previous post on this forum that people have had this same problem with some LR Baggs pick ups. I hope I don't have a faulty preamp.

(Also checked battery indicator and that lights up as full. I even changed the battery) Distortion is still there when strumming. My other guitar which have the full anthem plays fine no distortion.
What I might try is if I used my Redail J48 DI pedal .with it ,wondering if that will help tame the distortion

Last edited by Mr Blues; 05-30-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 AM

Smile

Hi AeroUSA

Although looks and feels the same as the anthem the sound is different. There is more attack and punch. When it was working fully it sounded supurb. Really rich and detailed..
Old 05-30-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Hi guys

It's definitely a great pick up but I am starting to have problems. The preamp that fits around the rim of the sound hole is coming loose. Also I noticed when I strum hard using my palm for the rhythm it distorts. But when I'm fingerpicking it's sounds lovely no distortion at all.
Infact when fingerpicking I really love the clarity and warmth. Best sound I've ever had on my Martin.
I'm going to take it back and get them to put a stronger adhesive to hold the preamp in place ,plus hopefully​ they can sort out the distortion issue. I have read on some previous post on this forum that people have had this same problem with some LR Baggs pick ups. I hope I don't have a faulty preamp.

(Also checked battery indicator and that lights up as full. I even changed the battery) Distortion is still there when strumming. My other guitar which have the full anthem plays fine no distortion.
What I might try is if I used my Redail J48 DI pedal .with it ,wondering if that will help tame the distortion
Get in touch with Baggs Support. They have a well-deserved reputation for going "above and beyond" to help. They most recently replaced the TruMic in my Anthem SL system, free of charge. It had started to distort after years of use.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Hi guys

The Baggs Session products distort intentionally. They attempt to mimic the distortion (analog warmth in their lingo) of a tube tape deck. There is a screw to adjust this and the manual refers to it as control "F". I've experimented with slight distortion using a Tube Screamer clone and the trade off will be clearer rhythm but less warm fingerpicking or single note runs if you dial down the distortion. I think there is a lot of value in adding a little of the right distortion, but for my own use I've lately settled on a fixed compression setting (using a Fishman ToneDEQ).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-30-2017, 08:34 AM

Smile

Thanks Jon for your advice. Infact I was just reading your post while the guy in the store was fixing the preamp back onto my guitar.
He also adjusted the tiny screw in the preamp. I am going to try the guitar out properly a bit later.
Dave
Old 05-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jon for your advice. Infact I was just reading your post while the guy in the store was fixing the preamp back onto my guitar.
He also adjusted the tiny screw in the preamp. I am going to try the guitar out properly a bit later.
Dave
What I would do is adjust that screw for acceptable hard strum rhythm but not be too picky about absolutely no noticeable distortion. Then listen to see if the warmth is still there for fingerpicking and leads. If the lower volume warmth is missing, I would then attempt to see if I could live with more hard strum rhythm distortion.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-30-2017, 06:42 PM

Smile

Hi Jon
Your right I used the small screw and screwed it the opposite direction and yes it did get rid of the distortion but was lacking warmth. The overall sound was a bit sterile.Inow see what you mean. I have put it back to what it was before.

I am slowly getting use to having a bit of distortion on the strumming . People listening don't seem to mind. Your right it does sound like the old skool anouloge vintage warmth. Still really loved when fingerpicking .It sounds like my Martin guitar is going through a Neeve desk.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Hi Jon
Your right I used the small screw and screwed it the opposite direction and yes it did get rid of the distortion but was lacking warmth. The overall sound was a bit sterile.Inow see what you mean. I have put it back to what it was before.

I am slowly getting use to having a bit of distortion on the strumming . People listening don't seem to mind. Your right it does sound like the old skool anouloge vintage warmth. Still really loved when fingerpicking .It sounds like my Martin guitar is going through a Neeve desk.
Just curious. Is this distortion heard if you mute the strings? Sort like a string rake. I hear a hard, distorted thump when I strum and I noticed this when I palm mute mostly. If I attack the strings lightly, I don't hear it. I thought it might be a technique issue I had. I have a Martin D-16gt with the Anthem SL. I have to engage a high pass filter to remove the bass or turn down the sub. It carries a great punch, but the distorted thump annoyes me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification