The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2014, 07:16 AM

Default Looking to purchase guitar that would need aftermarket pickup installed...

I'm thinking of getting an Alvarez MD65 at a pretty decent price. I would then need to add an aftermarket pickup system and know nothing about them. I only know of the brands Fishman and LR Baggs, which I have on my Masterbilt AJ500RVS. How much of a pain or how easy would it be to purchase a system and then have it installed somewhere (I'm not a handy guy when it comes to things like this). Probably would want a system to max out in the $150 range.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Ford View Post
I'm thinking of getting an Alvarez MD65 at a pretty decent price. I would then need to add an aftermarket pickup system and know nothing about them. I only know of the brands Fishman and LR Baggs, which I have on my Masterbilt AJ500RVS. How much of a pain or how easy would it be to purchase a system and then have it installed somewhere (I'm not a handy guy when it comes to things like this). Probably would want a system to max out in the $150 range.

Thanks!
It'll be difficult to stay within that price range for a couple of reasons. You can purchase a passive pickup in that range but you'll need an outboard preamp for it (more expense). If you purchase a simple complete system with internal preamp (recommended), it'll cost anywhere from $130.00 to over $200.00 and then you'll have to pay for installation as well.
Amplifying acoustic instruments can be really challenging and there is no easy answer as each guitar is different and there is no single pickup that works for all. You can likely find a magnetic pickup close to that price but they require additional processing to get a convincing sound, so, more expense again. And of course I'm only talking about getting you in the door. Amplifying an acoustic guitar and doing it really well is much more involved. So if you wish to hear a somewhat close representation of your guitar's actual sound and feel, do plenty of research and prepare to spend more! There are a hundred different opinions on this forum and many are very valid. You just have to understand you personal situation and what is most important to you to find an answer that works best for you.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 AM

Good info. Thank you. So that said, what would you do or what would you recommend in terms of a system that would be pretty decent quality for the money (200-300?). I'm thinking of getting a Masterworks that needs some kind of system down the road. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Good info. Thank you. So that said, what would you do or what would you recommend in terms of a system that would be pretty decent quality for the money (200-300?). I'm thinking of getting a Masterworks that needs some kind of system down the road. Thanks.
Well, my personal choice is the Baggs Anthem SL. Should be able to get it for around $250.00 installed. The only thing with a system like that is that installation and set-up is so important to get just right. But the payoff is well worth it in my opinion. I think something like the K&K can be a little less prone to set-up issues and can produce a decent sound as well, but I feel the Anthem SL is more versatile! For me it is easy to EQ, it's a stable as anything I've played in terms of feedback, and it's good for solo fingerstyle playing, which I do a lot of, and playing at loud volumes with a band.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Highly recommend the "Prestige 330" from JJB Electronics. A great price for a fantastic pickup system. You can have one installed for well within your budget. I have installed them on several guitars and have always been very pleased. Check out their website: http://www.jjb-electronics.com.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Hi 32Ford...

For $150 you should be able to purchase and have a K&K Pure Mini installed.

These are the go-to pickup I recommend to people. If you need a natural sounding, non-quack system, warm sounding pickup, the K&K Pure mini is it.

Local techs sell it installed for $130-$150 in our area. The signal is hot, it is passive (no battery inside the guitar) and you can adjust it to sound very 'acoustic' fairly easily.

If you need more tweak-ability later, it's easy to add a preamp with DI capabilities and it will sound even better. But raw it sounds better than piezo and/or magnetic pickup systems.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Of course if you can work with a passive pickup, either the K&K or the Prestige will serve you well! Passive pickups can be really temperamental and thus are usually made better use of by experienced players like Larry. Experienced guys usually know more about signal routing and impedance and cable lengths, etc. I wouldn't recommend something like that to a player who is new at this because they could get themselves into trouble pretty easily.
Also Larry, just a minor correction. The K&K and Prestige are both Piezo pickups. The reason they sound warm is because they are sound board pickups and they are translating the guitar top rather than the strings! It's Under-saddle pickups that sound "quacky". All Piezo though. All the K&K/Prestige pickups are is a piece of piezo with a wire attached.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification