The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 AM

I was getting ready to pull the plug on an Ultrasound that I tried out. The next day I found a Genz Benz 150 lt for cheaper so I bought it instead. I found that both of these amps produce great sound and either one would be a great choice.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker View Post
I was getting ready to pull the plug on an Ultrasound that I tried out. The next day I found a Genz Benz 150 lt for cheaper so I bought it instead. I found that both of these amps produce great sound and either one would be a great choice.
I have one of these with an extension cab. I like it better than any I've had primarily because of the light weight, the fact that it has a 12" speaker instead of a smaller one, it has all the features someone who sings and plays a guitar needs, and the layout is very logical and easy to use for non-techy people like me, and it sounds good (not the very very best there is but very adequate and uncolored). I would prefer that it had a tube preamp like the Pro model but they are heavier, cost more, and not necessary for my needs solo, living room, and small venue needs.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 PM

After reading this thread I did a test of a little Ibanez GT10 I have, frequency in -vs- frequency out, it is pretty much flat. This brought me to the speaker in the enclosure, the speaker and enclosure are awful. I unhooked the inner speaker and wired in a couple of satellite/subwoofer speakers that have been replaced with better home theater equipment. This gave me my 8 ohm load back and for home/studio use this really is a great setup. The sound is way better and can "cover up" the sound from my 414ce if I wanted to run it that loud without distortion other than the walls rattling...

Really a small mixer and any amp and some good speakers have been better for acoustic than any dedicated amp I have tried. I have not tried the high dollar acoustic amps but I see no reason I would want to unless I did not have a modeling processor a mixer and amp and studio monitors.

Jerry
Old 01-10-2009, 04:11 PM

Smile Fender Acoustasonic SFX II sounds ther most natural

I recently tried a bunch of acoustic guitar amps, including the Fishman Loudbox 100, Fishman Loudbox Performer, Marshall AS100D, California Blonde II, and Fender Acoustasonic SFX II.

I thought the Fender sounded the most natural of all of these. The on-board effects are good, but not great. I don't use any effects, with the exception of a Demeter Tremulator on occasion, so reverb, chorus, etc. don't matter much to me.

This amp is dead quiet. It sounds natural, like an acoustic guitar. There is little electronic haze. I have a Collings D2H, Martin D35, National Estralita Deluxe, and Weissenborn (Celtic Cross). It sounds fine on all of them.

I got it for $646 new at SameDayMusic, no tax free shipping.

your pal,
FastFingers
Old 01-10-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFingers View Post
...I thought the Fender sounded the most natural of all of these. The on-board effects are good, but not great. I don't use any effects, with the exception of a Demeter Tremulator on occasion, so reverb, chorus, etc. don't matter much to me.

This amp is dead quiet. It sounds natural, like an acoustic guitar. There is little electronic haze. I have a Collings D2H, Martin D35, National Estralita Deluxe, and Weissenborn (Celtic Cross). It sounds fine on all of them.

I got it for $646 new at SameDayMusic, no tax free shipping.

your pal,
FastFingers
I would venture to guess that your guitars are fitted with piezoelectric pickups.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I won't tell you it's a great performing amp, but for a very small unit, a little Behringer I recently got has impressed me greatly. It was under $80 and has guitar and mic channels. Controls are simple and the tone is very natural. For around the house and for small venues, it might be worth a look.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:18 AM

I might be interested in a LR Baggs acoustic amp when I get a home equity loan to afford it!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 PM

+1; I had to sell my Ferrari, but it was worth it..:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
I might be interested in a LR Baggs acoustic amp when I get a home equity loan to afford it!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1after909 View Post
I like SWRs' California Blonde. If I'm not going thru a PA I also use the '12 extension cab they make for it (natural blonde) I put it on the other side of the stage as a monitor for some of the other players.The amp is not light, But for me has all the power I need and with plenty of headroom.My Kottke 12 sounds like a grand piano thru it. It's also nice as it has a XLR so if your doing a solo gig and sing your all covered. The intresting thing for me is that its manufactor is well known for their bass amplifacation..Not for acoustic amps..But they nailed it on this one...
ditto. btw, SWR was purchased by Fender about 5 years ago.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification