The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 PM

Default Fishman Matrix Infinity

I have a 1996 Taylor 814c. I just had the Fishman Matrix Infinity installed on it. It sounds nice but was wondering if there's anything better out there. Price is not an object. I just prefer to keep my guitar as intact as possible. No holes cut into it and things like that.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 PM

K&K Trinity.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 08-22-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jackedLUNGS View Post
I have a 1996 Taylor 814c. I just had the Fishman Matrix Infinity installed on it. It sounds nice but was wondering if there's anything better out there. Price is not an object. I just prefer to keep my guitar as intact as possible. No holes cut into it and things like that.
__________________________________________________ ________________

I like the B-band A2.2. You already have all of the holes drilled (from the Infinity) for the UST and endpin preamp and the AST soundboard transducer just adheres to the inside of the guitar under the bridge with 3M sticky. Everything else adheres with velcro and 2-way sticky and the entire system can be easily removed with no damage or left over holes. The system itself is very natural sounding and feedback resistant. IMO very comparable in sound to a mic. equipped system without the feedback you can get with mics...... I have this system in 3 fairly bassy guitars and each 1 sounds very different as this pickup reproduces the true properties of the guitar it's installed in.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:42 PM

Keep the Infinity and get an AURA Pedal.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 08-22-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsong View Post
Keep the Infinity and get an AURA Pedal.
What he said...
Old 08-22-2008, 06:08 PM

aura pedal, ok ill look into it. thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 01:02 AM

Seen mixed reviews on those pedals. They get rid of Peizo Quack. Nice feature, but some say they sound sort-of artificial. Guess it's all in the ears of the beholder. I'd like to hear one in action, properly set up of course......
Old 08-23-2008, 05:49 AM

I just put the infinity system in my guitar and I was aware of the rave reviews for K&K. My thoughts before and after using the infinity system are:

1. Didn't have anyone locally that would but K&K in and didn't want to do it my self. Excellent shop with a national reputation that uses fishman. Have Ibeam soundboard pickup on another guitar and actually like the peizo sound better, maybe less acoustic but brighter and clearer especially in a band situation. I thought Aura would give me the electronic ability to improve it, if I wanted to and new and better Aura seems to be in the works. Fishman I thing will continual improve Aura.

2. After instillation my observations are: I have had no second thoughts. I am pleased with the sound and the infinity preamp actually eq's the sound just about as good as my preamp with very simple adjustments. All controls volume and eq - tone are on the guitar so if I go to a venue and I don't want to bring anything but a guitar, I would feel confident with what infinity will do on its own.
Steve
Old 08-23-2008, 07:20 AM

A word about the digital pedals. One can certainly choose to use an effect level which is bound to sound "artificial" to many people. One always has the option, however, of dialing the effect level back to a more subtle and suitable (for most tastes) blend. With a single-source SBT like the K&K mini-Pure, on the other hand, you better happen to like that more ambient (than a UST) inside-the-guitar sound. There's simply no way to dial it back or EQ it out.

Gary
Old 08-23-2008, 02:09 PM

I would try to find a local store that sells the Aura and take your guitar right in and try it out. Or find a place that has a fair return policy in case you dont like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification