The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-11-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Wow, great info, Bird and Herb. It appears with this AWD Toyota, the gas engine powers the front wheels and the electric motor powers the rear. And yes, the gas engine does recharge the batteries. I'm learning a little more every day!
Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
According to several references, including Bloomberg, EV batteries that are no longer suitable for auto use are repurposed to store energy in less critical, stationary applications. Their ingredients can also be recycled, and factories are being opened to do this.
I am glad to read this because I could otherwise see yet another environmental crisis. Some of what I am reading in this thread about these new cars and trucks sounds promising. Buying used, I get to benefit from hindsight to know what worked well and what didn't, all the while skipping the borrowing money part.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-12-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I am glad to read this because I could otherwise see yet another environmental crisis. Some of what I am reading in this thread about these new cars and trucks sounds promising. Buying used, I get to benefit from hindsight to know what worked well and what didn't, all the while skipping the borrowing money part.

Tony
As a general rule, newer cars offer better fuel economy, lower emissions and greater safety than older cars.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wow, great info, Bird and Herb. It appears with this AWD Toyota, the gas engine powers the front wheels and the electric motor powers the rear. And yes, the gas engine does recharge the batteries. I'm learning a little more every day!
That's how I recall the Highlander that for a moment captured my wife's attention. My mother tested the Lexus version of it with V6 and smaller one that I think was an Atkinson cycle combustion engine hybrid.

They were all fine vehicles but it was over the moment my wife tried the sportier Sienna. My mother traded the bigger Accura SUV for the new 4 cyl. The marketing and engineering were fun to check out. I liked the Toyota versions in premium trim more than the Lexus versions. What really stood out in the testing was driving a Subaru in the same loops. You could tell the lower center of gravity but their hybrid is a smaller vehicle.

As much as those were all great new vehicles I'm hoping to not buy a car until the 2023s are out. It made sense in the context of how much I used to drive and there was some fun involved but now I wish I did not get new cars as often as I did.

It seems to me the current hybrids, Toyota still not giving up on fuel cell and at BEVs will all be good. It's a lot of experience with the electric motors, software and batteries.

One of my Tesla owning friends just did his longest road trip and and has been doing regional travel in the cold and snow. It was interesting to know that even being an early adopter has not been as inconvenient as he expected it to be. He's taken hour vs 1/2 hour breaks for a charge and didn't mind it.

Have fun shopping. There are so many great choices out there. It's fantastic.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
As a general rule, newer cars offer better fuel economy, lower emissions and greater safety than older cars.
Agreed, but that wasn't my concern. My concern was about what to do with all those batteries used by electric and hybrid cars when the are no longer useful (i.e. how they are to be discarded). That question was answered elsewhere in this thread.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-13-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
And the robots will continue to improve all that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic