The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
I appreciate all the replies. After comparing the new to the refurbished, I found I can purchase the new for only $100 more.
One additional question, is 128GB SSD storage sufficient for a students needs ? She wont be storing music or movies.
Thanks imwjl for the information on the education related pricing.
It’s fine, you can always add additional media storage via external drives. Speed of an SSD will be a game changer.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
It’s fine, you can always add additional media storage via external drives. Speed of an SSD will be a game changer.
Game changer for the better ?
Old 10-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yes. Much faster and no crashing.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Yes. Much faster and no crashing.
Cool, thanks Steve.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
My daughter in college got the new and current model Air with the academic discount. It's very fast for general operations and has plenty of power. The game change for better is a lack of moving parts and speed. Storage speed is a bottleneck many don't think of.

My daughter got 256 upgrade upon calculating how much space a complete iPhone backup and her photos plus videos would take. We also had a hard drive for Time Machine backups in the budget but that was my gift.

The base storage might be fine. Have her calculate how much she really needs.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:58 PM

I was going to say that I bought a refurbished Chrome Book from Amazon and couldn't be happier. But since you made a decision I won't.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
I was going to say that I bought a refurbished Chrome Book from Amazon and couldn't be happier. But since you made a decision I won't.

Thanks Phil. I will keep that in mind as I plan on buying a laptop of sorts in the near future.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

I have purchased a number of refurbished products from the manufacturer at very good savings and every time I have been glad I did. A couple I can think of: a pro-level video camera and a Nikon SLR digital camera. I don't know why a computer can't be brought up to factory new condition in a factory refurbishing program with a full warranty.

- Glenn
Old 10-19-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have purchased a number of refurbished products from the manufacturer at very good savings and every time I have been glad I did. A couple I can think of: a pro-level video camera and a Nikon SLR digital camera. I don't know why a computer can't be brought up to factory new condition in a factory refurbishing program with a full warranty.

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:40 PM

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I am a photography professor at a community college in Nevada and own a MacBook Air (two years old) and it has all the horsepower I need to run Photoshop, Lightroom, and PhaseOne Capture One software. I also use it in my classroom from time to time and have no issues at all.

The newer ones have more powerful processors and while she might need an external SSD, they are very inexpensive nowadays. It seems Amazon has them on sale all the time so get her a new one. I seriously doubt she'll outgrow it.

Best,
PJ
Old 10-20-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I know I'm a bit late to the party but I am a photography professor at a community college in Nevada and own a MacBook Air (two years old) and it has all the horsepower I need to run Photoshop, Lightroom, and PhaseOne Capture One software. I also use it in my classroom from time to time and have no issues at all.

The newer ones have more powerful processors and while she might need an external SSD, they are very inexpensive nowadays. It seems Amazon has them on sale all the time so get her a new one. I seriously doubt she'll outgrow it.

Best,
PJ
Don't mean to derail, but you're a photography professor? You should critique our photos in the photo thread.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-20-2019, 08:17 PM

Then we should put this back on rail. The photos aren't posted for critique. They are posted for enjoyment.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:35 PM

I buy all used & refurbishied products however I know how to fix computers too so I can take the risk of anything wrong. For anyone not inclined to repair things, I say get it directly from the manufacturer if refurbished so it'll have a warranty and support.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:00 PM

To bring this thread to a conclusion, my Daughter purchased a MacBook Pro and could not be happier. She relates that the computer is really fast and she likes the operating format.
Oh, and she saved $100 with the student program.
Thanks again for all the replies, they were most helpful.
Best
Old 10-30-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I've bought factory refurbished laptops several times and always been exceptionally happy with them.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic