The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-21-2019, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Great info and opinions! Thank you very much for sharing that.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
A few years ago I read somewhere that an iPhone has more computing power than every computer used to put a man on the moon combined.

And they let us have it!

LOL!

Not just an iPhone, any smart phone today is exponentially more powerful by many times than the NASA computers of the 60's.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Not just an iPhone, any smart phone today is exponentially more powerful by many times than the NASA computers of the 60's.
More powerful than the guidance computer on the spacecraft, but not more powerful than the banks of computers that supported the mission.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
More powerful than the guidance computer on the spacecraft, but not more powerful than the banks of computers that supported the mission.
https://www.zmescience.com/research/...pollo-432/amp/
Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

TomB, I couldn't get that link to pull up. Is this the one? Almost the same...

https://www.zmescience.com/research/...to-apollo-432/
Old 10-21-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Current mobile computing is even impressive against that and most people don't really know how much compute power we all have today.

For an idea of how you can be dazzled by something streaming, an event or how your shopping and banking work.... A few months ago I was provisioning a Microsoft cloud virtual machine that's a helper tool for our Cisco security platform. I noticed I could provision 4 TB of RAM and 128 CPUs with the option to buy the across the Internet quality of service features that give huge deployments the performance we all feel. You can manage that with your new iPhone.

I recall a little news highlight on a display wall at NASA and their data visualization. The cluster of computers that drove a wall of 30 huge displays was 120+ compute nodes each with 2 TB of flash memory.

Ever see the Real Earth site from University Of Wisconsin space science & engineering? I know the scientist who does one of those data layers. He was at a party Friday and was describing previously unheard of and unimaginable capabilities they have now that compute power is so easily scalable. I believe it's the NASA GOES satellite system they run there. A friend who's now at CalTech was in the news recently saying for his research on climate it's like going down a hall lit by a candle and now they're making it much brighter all the time.

I go by the space science and engineering physics buildings on campus fairly often. I confess that I smile about those mostly young people working so hard. My data center is near campus. If I have to be there at 2 AM I see the partiers going home but also some leaving the engineering and health sciences buildings with their backpacks. It's fun to think about what those beautiful young people might do for the world when that same span of decades passes.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
We were making the same claim when the first hand-held HP calculators came out in the early 70s, and physicists holstered them on their belts like a sidearm. So I, too, am dazzled by the computing power of the average cell phone. But, the claim than all of the computations, sensor inputs and output displays of the Apollo 11 mission could be handled by a single A13 chip simply isn't credible...even with a RAM upgrade.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
TomB, I couldn't get that link to pull up. Is this the one? Almost the same...

https://www.zmescience.com/research/...to-apollo-432/
Yes, that is the one. Here is the headline of the story if anyone clicks on the link:

"Your smartphone is millions of times more powerful than all of NASA’s combined computing in 1969
That's the year man first set foot on the moon. Our computer tech has shot even farther away, though."

Last edited by TomB'sox; 10-21-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Are you also shopping? If so, what are you thinking about?
I have the SE because it's small, lite, square sided, and pocketable. Tough little booger too.
It's been dropped several times and only one corner of the glass is shattered. Still works fine though.
The alleged new SE is a rumor but I'll probably wait and see if it materializes before I upgrade.
I'm a dinosaur because I like small phones in my pocket.
If I need a bigger screen I break out the Ipad mini, Macbook, or Nintendo Switch.
Lots of choices for all you shoppers...

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/ipho...e-se2-3500611/
Old 10-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I upgraded my 3-year old 7 to a 64 Gb 11 (basic, not Pro or Pro Max) this week.

I bought mine through my employer - got the phone for $249, and Best Buy gave me $105 for the old one - so I did well

I thought I’d have trouble getting used to the bigger size, but after using it for the last 3 days, I’m finding I barely notice it. Only practical issue is that it’s too big for the cupholders in my car, so I’m going to have to find a solution to stow it safely while I’m driving.

The upgrade process itself for moving from old to new couldn’t be much simpler - was up and running in about 15 minutes after restoring from an iCloud backup.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-27-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I remember my iPhone 4 (first one I purchased) had strong reception and transmission and seemingly impervious to call drop.
My 4s seemed equally impervious, until I changed locales a couple years ago; that's when it all changed and became completely unreliable in many instances, especially close to where I was staying at the time.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 10-27-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I've always maintained that one of Steve Jobs' original design criteria for the iPhone was that it had to fit into the front pocket of a pair of jeans. I thought the "X" line would have contained an SE-sized phone with a full screen, and I was disappointed to see that it didn't.

I want an SE-sized phone with a full screen.
That's exactly what I want too. I held onto my 4s until it became defunct due to the demise of CDMA but felt lucky when I found out that there was a 6s in the size of the 5s called the SE, which is what I've been carrying ever since.

Give me edge-to-edge screen on an SE sized phone and that'll be a good enough upgrade (that'll still fit in my pocket) for me.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Several years ago, these things were improving so fast that there was some benefit to being on the bleeding edge. Now, they’re so good, and improving so incrementally, that I agree it makes more sense for most people to buy at least one model behind the newest one.
I used to find the need for the newer phone or computer every year, but it's been a long time now, that I've been happy to use them for at least 3 years, if not longer.

Right now I need to replace my computer, not because of electronics, but the hinge resistance has made the screws holding it all together strip out.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks for this thread, Kerbie and contributors. I have the 6S and have also thinking about upgrading. This info is helpful.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-27-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
I have the SE because it's small, lite, square sided, and pocketable. Tough little booger too.
It's been dropped several times and only one corner of the glass is shattered. Still works fine though.
The alleged new SE is a rumor but I'll probably wait and see if it materializes before I upgrade.
I'm a dinosaur because I like small phones in my pocket.
If I need a bigger screen I break out the Ipad mini, Macbook, or Nintendo Switch.
Lots of choices for all you shoppers...

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/ipho...e-se2-3500611/
I'm with you. If this article is correct and we see a full-screen, SE-sized phone in early 2020, I'll buy it the day it's released.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic